Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 17th, 2017, 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PHPBB3 Up and Running!
PostPosted: May 13th, 2008, 9:08 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Well, it actually worked the first time through, who would have thought. As I expected, the youtube tags are not working and probably some others I haven't noticed quite yet. The new version allows me to do custom BBcode stuff, so I may be able to find a post for that online and quickly fix that problem.

There are two skins currently, obviously I have not gotten to modify them at all with the Animetric banner or anything, but I will look into fixing that in a little while.

If you run into any problems, concerns, or just general comments about things you like more or less, please feel free to tell me. I am currently going through the admin control panel which is about 5 times larger now and is making my head spin!

And yes, I can now merge threads! Woohoo!

Post subject: Re: PHPBB3 Up and Running!
PostPosted: May 13th, 2008, 9:14 pm 
Regular

Cool...kinda freaked me out at first though.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2008, 9:38 pm 
Major Contributor

Cab329 wrote:

You too, huh? Was kinda WTF about it at first but then it occurred to me Arron had said PHPBB3 was out...

PostPosted: May 13th, 2008, 9:48 pm 
Lurker

Nifty, threw me for a loop there when it was down and whatnot.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2008, 9:56 pm 
Major Contributor

It was down? No doubt because he was posting the new forum or whatever.

PostPosted: May 13th, 2008, 9:57 pm 
Resident Admin

Ya, it only actually suffered a 10 min or so downtime, and that was mostly to my being slow on editing the file name so it would show up in the same place as the old forum.

I have now added youtube and googlevideo tags, and they work just like they did before. However, it did not change it for all the posts that already had the youtube tag, but all you have to do is hit edit and submit and it works properly, since it is still the same code. I'll be doing that for a lot of the posts I see that don't have properly working youtube tags.

Right now I am trying to find a mod that will have the "latest post" area take you to the actual last post, rather than to the persons profile. (Like how it was before the new version).

PostPosted: May 14th, 2008, 6:37 am 
Resident Scholar

shgarland wrote:
Cab329 wrote:

You too, huh? Was kinda WTF about it at first but then it occurred to me Arron had said PHPBB3 was out...

I felt the same... "WTF!? Is there something wrong with my favorites??"

Hm... I kinda miss the emoticons, and the font editing tools... and everything else - except for this very text box.
Quoting the way it should be seems not possible for me as well...
Ah, it says "BBCode is OFF"... but my settings say "BBCode enabled by default"???
I activated anything I was used to from before, but it's not there. The only thing that worked was changing the preferred skin.
Aaaargh!

Ha, what's that?
"Enter your message here, it may contain no more than 60000 characters."
Sixty-thousand characters? Wait... 15 pages of text, Times New Roman, size 12, consist of roughly 40,000 keyboard hits, including the empty spaces, that is. Who might need 60,000? I mean, I could easily post two or three of my short stories and would still be inside the given limit of one single post... :lol:

Edit: I'm a little confused here. I found that I can use BBCode in other threads quite well, it's all in place and it works, like can be seen in the "Movie Quote" thread. It is only HERE that there is no BBCode for me. ????

Last edited by 42317 on May 14th, 2008, 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2008, 6:52 am 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
shgarland wrote:
Cab329 wrote:

I felt the same... "WTF!? Is there something wrong with my favorites??"

Hm... I kinda miss the emoticons, and the font editing tools... and everything else - except for this very text box.
Quoting the way it should be seems not possible for me as well...
Ah, it says "BBCode is OFF"... but my settings say "BBCode enabled by default"???
I activated anything I was used to from before, but it's not there. The only thing that worked was changing the preferred skin.
Aaaargh!

Meh...from what I can see it's just for this particular thread. No big though, long as we have it in the rest of the forum, which we do. It just really, really, really, really, really looks funny seeing all the BBCode instead of it's effects. It's just like what R2-D2 was saying to C-3PO after seeing him without his outer shell pieces in Episode I; it just looks naked with the BBCode off.

42317 wrote:
Ha, what's that?
Sixty-thousand characters? Wait... 15 pages of text, Times New Roman, size 12, consist of roughly 40,000 keyboard hits, including the empty spaces, that is. Who might need 60,000? I mean, I could easily post two or three of my short stories and would still be inside the given limit of one single post... :lol:

He just wants us to have plenty of space to get it all out, if you will.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2008, 1:12 pm 
Resident Admin

42317 wrote:
Hm... I kinda miss the emoticons, and the font editing tools... and everything else - except for this very text box. Quoting the way it should be seems not possible for me as well...
Aaaargh!

We still have the same smilies as before, were you just not able to use them in this area? Or can you not use them/see them anywhere? And the same question goes to the font editing tools. Did you just not have them here, or are there ones missing that you would like to see back? Since we still do have the basic set of editing tools as before, just not the more advanced ones that came with the one mod I installed.

42317 wrote:
Ha, what's that?

Ya, the 60,000 characters is just the default setting. I guess they just want you to have the ability to set it lower if you want, but they want to make it unobtrusive to begin with they set it really high.

42317 wrote:
Edit: I'm a little confused here. I found that I can use BBCode in other threads quite well, it's all in place and it works, like can be seen in the "Movie Quote" thread. It is only HERE that there is no BBCode for me. ????

That seems to be the running trend. It has worked fine for me, but it hasn't for anyone else in this thread. (Every person who has used quotes has had their BBCode disabled, and once I edit the post and turned off disable BBCode, it works fine.)

I think the problem is that the old forum had different permissions for this area than all the others, so when that translated over, it may have nerfed everyone's abilities (except for mine) in this area. I'll look into it.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2008, 7:36 pm 
Resident Scholar

Acmurphy wrote:
We still have the same smilies as before, were you just not able to use them in this area? Or can you not use them/see them anywhere? And the same question goes to the font editing tools. Did you just not have them here, or are there ones missing that you would like to see back?

As I was trying to say, I was missing all these thing only in this very thread.
I came to the index page, went straight to this thread and nothing was like it used to be.
So I wrote the above message. Then I changed my preferences a bit, made sure "BBCode is ON" would be my default, posted something in the "Movie Quotes", and there everything worked.
Then I came back here and found that there were still no editing tools, so I added information to my above post accordingly.

So far, one thing has happened: I can see my former post with executed BBCode, with the quote in the quote and stuff.

But, right now, quoting your post, I again have no editing tools, so I enter BBCode manually... okay, I'm pressing the "Preview" button now... no, BBCode is not being executed. At least the preview shows me plain text with BBCode commands. No editing tools (bold, italics, etc.) either.

So I'll try "Submit"...
No success. I'm still seeing BBCode tags with no whatsoever effect.

There must be something wrong with this section.

Acmurphy wrote:
it may have nerfed everyone's abilities

It what? It "nerfed"!?
I have heard this term once, not so long ago... isn't that some sort of WoW jargon? :)

PostPosted: May 14th, 2008, 7:57 pm 
Resident Admin

Ok, problem fixed. The permissions were all over the place for the Announcements section, everyone should now have the standard setup as in the other areas of the forum.

And yes, nerfed is WoW jargon. A little something I picked up from the couple months I played it for. It simply means reduced, less than previously, pwned from its former state. If you want the technical info on a made up word... :lol:

At this point I have the old Animetric banner up, and things seem to be working as they used to. Yah!

PostPosted: May 14th, 2008, 8:34 pm 
Post Master

The search engines messed up. Search "anime" in the anime section and you only get one result. I think it only finds posts made after PHPBB3 was installed.

PostPosted: May 14th, 2008, 8:45 pm 
Resident Admin

Seems there was a secondary indexing I had to do. Search function works fine now.

Thanks for the info Mmsven!

PostPosted: May 15th, 2008, 6:27 am 
Resident Scholar

Acmurphy wrote:
Ok, problem fixed.

Ah, yes, it looks a whole lot different... and, a toast to you and your efforts, the BBCode is being executed. Good job. :D

Post subject: Re: Welcome to the new Animetric Forum!
PostPosted: May 15th, 2008, 8:46 pm 
Post Master

Spoiler tags aren't 100% working, which is something big here. Reading the safe romance titles thread, I realized that my quoted spoiler no longer works.