Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 21st, 2017, 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Safe Romantic titles
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2008, 12:23 am 
Regular

I really like romance, but unfortunatelly most titles are either harem with love polygons (10 girls vs. 1 stupid dense male) or teen romances where the couple-to-be have unrealistic worries and jealousy attacks out of anything (the guy looks at another girl, 5 episodes of jealousy or lack of security attack). To me, romances must be realistic, with real problems and real people.

Anyway, I'm asking what titles feature cute/realistic romances where you don't want to kill neither characters, specially the ones where we see some of their life as a couple (in contrast with most titles ENDING whey they confess, I like the ones were we see their life as a couple even for a little)

Here a list of titles I think are worthy of being considered "Safe" romances:

ef ~ a tale of memories ~ (some love triangle, but solved fast and with style)
Honey & Clover (though the "life as a couple" is less present)
Seikai no monshou/senki series (gotta love Lafiel - we have very subtle romance here, though it's the focus)
Spice and Wolf (gotta love Horo - also subtle as in Seikai series)
Nodame Cantabile (while starting a little annoying, it turns into a good romance)
PlanetES (Though not the main plot, the lead characters romance reach climax on mid series + one of the cutest first kiss ever)
Koi Kaze (Don't judge me ... couldn't care less this is incest - love is love =p)
Paradise Kiss (Good romance specially considering secondary characters Arashi and Miwako)
Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora (Very good, down to earth and with real feelings)
Ginban Kaleidoscope (not really a romance but the lead characters relationship is so cute)
Iriya no Sora, UFO no Natsu (Solid romance)
Shingetsutan Tsukihime (Main plot aside, pleasant romance)
REC (Must-see romance for grown-ups, one of my favourites)
Kimi ga nozomu Eien (Lots of drama, but also a grown-up romance)
Tsukuyomi ~ Moon Phase ~ (Good example of how an almost non-sense comedy can have very good romance)
DNAngel (Also one of my favourites romance, I love Riku >.>)
Ultra Maniac (not the main plot, but Ayu's romance is so cute and reach climax before the end, so it's a plus)
Gad Guard (again not the main plot, but Arashi's romance is cute and also reach climax before the end)
Touka Gettan (I don't like Yuri but this romance was good)
Narue no Sekai (If you asked "what are you looking for" in a romance, this is it)
To Heart (Original season was too cute, all others I can't stand.)
H2O (The fact the male lead is smart is a plus, romance reach climax before the end also good)
Momoiro Sisters (All about the romance)
Beyond the clouds - to the promised land
Canvas (though borderline hentai .. Canvas 2 is a love triangle)
ai mai mi strawberry egg (cute in a freaking way lol)
I's (though the manga is a lot better)
Video Girl Ai (again the manga is better)
Kita-he - Diamond Dust Drops (somehow it seams this would belong here, some stories are quite romantic)
Mahoromatic (though the ending is more toward drama)
Midori no Hibi (good title on how people can eventually learn to love each other, given they are already a nice couple)
Saikano (though the weak male, and the fact this is a bloody drama, might be a down)
Solty Rei (lot's of 'fatherly' love relationship)
RahXephon (Though subtle, there is always a romantic undertone, and the ending is very romantic)
Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku (This is one of those rare gems where the FIRST episode starts off with the confession, and the rest of the anime is their life as a couple, but this is a slapstick comedy with some twisted views on love until mid-series (you must be "worthy" of your love ... feelings don't mean that much ... until mid-season)
Kareshi Kanojo to jijou (Kare Kano) (Nice romance with extra romance in sub-plot)

So, what other titles fall into this category? Romance with no annoying triangles/polygons and no annoying teen-driven stupid "problems"?

Last edited by Caiobrz on April 24th, 2008, 2:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2008, 2:43 am 
Major Contributor

What about Sakura Diaries? I'm not sure Touma's goals regarding Meiko (or for that matter Urara's for her precious Tonma-chan) were all that realistic, because once all the secrets were revealed theres no way the end of the series could have been anything other than what it was. But all the same, I think Sakura Diaries counts as a really good romance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2008, 2:58 am 
Post Master

I give a big thumbs up to TokiKake and Armitage III.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2008, 3:18 am 
Major Contributor

You'd really count Armitage III as a romance? I felt it was more along the lines of the first Ghost in the Shell: a Sci-Fi/Action title with the main character waxing philosophic about the nature of her existence. Maybe it still counts, but I think it was more along the lines of what I think Caiobrz meant by including Gad Guard. (A sub-plot with its outcome met before the title ends.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2008, 4:17 am 
Post Master

shgarland wrote:
You'd really count Armitage III as a romance? I felt it was more along the lines of the first Ghost in the Shell: a Sci-Fi/Action title with the main character waxing philosophic about the nature of her existence. Maybe it still counts, but I think it was more along the lines of what I think Caiobrz meant by including Gad Guard. (A sub-plot with its outcome met before the title ends.)

I couldn't think of anything else other than Tsukihime which is already on his list.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2008, 5:16 am 
Major Contributor

Mmsven wrote:
shgarland wrote:

I couldn't think of anything else other than Tsukihime which is already on his list.

Don't mind me. Going by this list Caiobrz wrote, it counts, even if the romance is a sub-plot. (He has at least 2 examples of where the romance is a sub-plot, meaning that it's happening while the title's main storyline is taking place.) It's been a while, but I remember Armitage III well enough to know it's a valid pick because of the relationship between Armitage and Ross; I just wouldn't have expected someone to put that one out there is all.

Edit: Just thought of a couple more.

Whisper of the Heart - Its been a while since I've seen this one, but I feel it's a romance.

Howl's Moving Castle - I dunno if it counts as a romance, but it's definitely a love story. (Sophie's falling in love with Howl is a major plot point to this movie's storyline.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2008, 10:07 am 
Regular

yeah, a sub-plot is fine, more often than not it's even better because since it's a sub-plot, there is no silly teen romance or dragging to the ends of the world to get a closure.

I didn't see the titles you mentioned earlier so I might take alook.

Whisper of the Heart and Howl's wouldn't fit the description because as I mentioned I'm looking for titles where we have at least some deal of the romance as a couple, past the confession, and in both cases it's like 1min only - though both examples are prime examples of romances either way, but more on the "romance leading to confession" thing :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2008, 12:53 pm 
Post Master

Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2008, 6:18 pm 
Major Contributor

Caiobrz, that's a valid point about Whisper and Howl's. Whisper is an example of how falling in love can be a confusing situation. As for Howl's...I don't see the romance leading to confusion; it's more like confusion leading to romance...

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2008, 7:08 pm 
Regular

Mmsven wrote:
oh yeah! way more romantic than hollywood's "you've got mail!"

every title on caiobrz's list that i have watched, i have enjoyed immensely! i am going to have to keep my eye on this thread. i need to look out for titles to fill the time between korean drama cry fests...

i cannot think of any to add...
i wonder if Peach Girl and Aishiteruze Baby qualify.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2008, 7:30 pm 
Major Contributor

dbd_addict wrote:
Mmsven wrote:
oh yeah! way more romantic than hollywood's "you've got mail!"

I wouldn't call Jin-Roh a romance, but for romantic sub-plots (which count I think), Mmsven's pick counts the same way his last one did. It just ended in a worse way than Tony's relationship with the arms-dealer's daughter ended on NCIS. (It's in the front of my mind because it came up during last night's episode, which I'm gonna re-watch on my computer in a little bit.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2008, 8:18 pm 
Regular

^got it!

i went through my list. it has been so long that i cannot fully remember some anime.

Beyond the clouds
Boku wa Imouto ni Koi wo Suru
canvas i cannot remember if the 2 series were harem or not...
Genshiken was there romance in this one? i do not remember the two getting together...
HaniHani - Operation Sanctuary
ai mai mi strawberry egg not really romantic but a close relationship
i's
Kita-he - Diamond Dust Drops i cannot remember if there were any romance stories in this set
Mahoromatic
Midori no Hibi
it is cute
my dear marie
Okusama wa Joshi Kosei
Princess Rouge i think...
RahXephon was there romance in this anime? :( i completely forgot. i remember something about the girl with the hat.
Rose of Versailles i am not certain how good i remember it, but an ex read this when she was young... most likely the reason behind her moving to paris and taking up fencing... haha
saikano though i did want the main guy to die a horrible death.
Shakugan no Shana i cannot remember if there is closure.
School Days hehe, does this one count?
Solty Rei not really romance, but a loving relationship.
Stellvia of the Universe or Twin Spica? i think there is a romantic subplot in one of them. both good anime otherwise.
suzuka
tenshi na konamaiki i cannot remember if there is closure in this one...
wind - a breath of heart

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 23rd, 2008, 10:39 pm 
Regular

Quote:
i need to look out for titles to fill the time between korean drama cry fests...

LOL

hmm nice additions dbd_addict, the ones I watched seam fine, will comment on the ones I watched and I have my doubts though:

Kita-he - Diamond Dust Drops - I don't remember but it sure rings a bell on romance, I think it's worth mentioning ;)
RahXephon - Some romance but I think it's too much on the mystery site, like you only notice it was a romance in the end :roll: yet I think it counts.
Shakugan no Shana - no, it's a teen romance, as I mentioned I wanted some with couples not polygons. Second season is a harem fest T_T yes there is closure in the LAST second of the LAST episode of the second season
suzuka - again not really a couple's romance, more "leading to" romance.

I will add to my original post the ones I watched and you reminded me ;) (wouldn't be fair to add in MY post titles I did not watch)

edit

Wind is different, there is romance, then it becomes a teen-romance with love triangle, only to be "solved" on the OVAs =/

Last edited by Caiobrz on April 24th, 2008, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 24th, 2008, 3:51 am 
Major Contributor

School Days is harem/teen romance with a male lead that well has it coming from about halfway through the series. It's also H-game based harem which means sharp objects and blood is mandatory in the finale (Shuffle anyone?) though School Days kind of takes it a little overboard (hint: they had to change the blood from red to black).

Suzuka: would have been better if they had waited for the manga to finish and then animated it. That way we'd get to see Suzuka and Yamato living together as opposed to the lame ending the anime ended with. I'm still hoping that they'll make a sequel to Suzuka since there is enough manga material for at least a 12-episode series, and maybe an OVA or two. And since they didn't end with an anime-original ending, there would be no problem continuing from where the first series ended.

I would suggest NANA (another Ai Yazawa creation, like Paradise Kiss) since it also has some interesting romantic subplots. Though similar to Suzuka, a lot of the really "good stuff" doesn't happen until later in the manga. Also NANA is a bit more realistic than Paradise Kiss (and has a lot more substance to it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 24th, 2008, 9:33 am 
Regular

Quote:
That way we'd get to see Suzuka and Yamato living together as opposed to the lame ending the anime ended with.

Yeah, that would be awesome!

well in a small update I ended up adding Mamoru-kun ni Megami no Shukufuku to the list. While the initial half is annoying and have some twisted values which irritated me (being "worthy" of your lover is more important than how you feel, so both parties are all the time worried they are not powerful enough to be "worthy" of getting together with each other to the extent third parties can break them appart just because that, like new powerful guy comes is enough to cast doubts in the couple ... arg kill me right now, but the characters eventually learn that is stupid, so I decided this is a safe romance)

BTW Spaz, would Clannad fall under this category as a safe romance?