Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 16th, 2017, 4:03 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Over Looked Anime
PostPosted: May 14th, 2007, 6:26 pm 

I opened this link for people to posts great anime series that for some reason or another have gotten over looked or not recieved as much notice as they deserve.

I'll start off with a really great series called Infinate Ryvius. It's an older series from way back in 1999 and I only picked it up because of the price of $40 fro the entire 26 eps. I was rather nicely surprised by this space obra type series. It's about a couple hundred students at a space acedemy that end up stranded on a classified battle ship and how they try to survive and get rescued. I won't spoil the rest of the plot. What I found most interesting about the series is how it went threw nearly ever goverment system from democracy to communism and dictatorship and showed what was good and bad about each. I also really enjoyed then ending, it is the best ending I every seen. In the end it's kind hard to approach the series because of just how complicated it is but in the end I highly recommend it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 15th, 2007, 4:48 am 

I found Infinite Ryvius kinda dull but I guess it depends one the person.

Well a gem for me that nobody I seem to know have watched it would be Power Stone. Anime of the game, or game from the anime, I have no idea. Adventures of a boxer dressed as a fighter pilot with a stone that makes him transform. Adventure, comedy and whatnot, I completely loved it. But it has been ages since I watched it on AXN. I always wondered if there was a 2nd season with the characters from the 2nd game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 15th, 2007, 6:03 am 
Major Contributor

I'll list a few recent ones that haven't gotten much attention from a lot of fans:

-Zegapain (2006): a great mecha series with solid plot, great animation and action sequences.
-REC (2006): yeah its short, but it's a surprisingly entertaining romantic comedy
-Mushishi (2006): basically everything that makes anime good can be found in this series

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 15th, 2007, 8:59 am 
Newcomer

Still one of my all time favorites of any anime, regardless of being underrated or not:

Tsukikage Ran: Carried by the Wind

Attractrive and enjoyable characters, good action, nice story. In short, many of anime's best traits. Unfortunately, not many know it even exists.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 15th, 2007, 12:41 pm 
Resident Scholar

spazmaster666 wrote:
-REC (2006): yeah its short, but it's a surprisingly entertaining romantic comedy

Yes! REC is one of the best things I have seen in 2006, not just because I'm a seiyû fan guy. The show has lovable characters, and of course I liked the voice cast very much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 15th, 2007, 3:20 pm 

I second Mushishi....I liked it a lot...though its wierd that in eac ep he's in another town and it's the same characters with different names...ha..

Still good anime...

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 15th, 2007, 3:22 pm 
Regular

Hmm I don't think Infinite Ryvius is over looked, it's actyally quite well known. I also don't see how one of the best social criticism animes is "dull" but as you said, it depends on each personal feeling.

I have to agree about ZegaPain, this is indeed very overlooked while being probably the best sci-fi mecha-based title out there, very solid plot indeed, loved the ending too.

For me the most over looked anime ever is Fantastic Children, but I think that all the religious and beliefs inprinted on it made it not all that welcome in the western.

Another overlooked title for last year: Noein - Mou Hitori no Kimi e (2006)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 15th, 2007, 7:02 pm 
Lurker

I loved REC so much! So upset that there wasn't more of it. T_T I was somewhat surprised it didn't get that much attention, though, since Lunar Anime was one of the bigger fansub groups that released it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2007, 7:17 am 
Resident Scholar

Kesshi wrote:
I loved REC so much! So upset that there wasn't more of it.

It might be better this way. If something is really great, it's best to stop right there. Let's take Linkin Park... had they disbanded after the first album they would have been gods. Instead they made a second album that sounded pretty much like the first and then had to make another one which they propagated as completely new in style or something. (I might be lacking information there.)
If you think a music band is a bad comparison, take Pokemon or InuYasha. Those would have made great series - if restricted to 52 episodes or so. Instead they drag along and bore people's socks off. 8)
A sequel hardly ever reaches the quality of the original, therefore I'm quite pleased that REC had a stop at its peak imho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2007, 9:56 am 

Isn't that all tooo true. Soo true. I think the only serialized series of any genre live action or animated that last over a hundred episodes was Yu Yu Hakusho one of my all time favorites. They still could have easily made another season but I'm glad they didn't.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 16th, 2007, 6:05 pm 
Regular

42317 wrote:
Kesshi wrote:

It might be better this way. If something is really great, it's best to stop right there. Let's take Linkin Park... had they disbanded after the first album they would have been gods. Instead they made a second album that sounded pretty much like the first and then had to make another one which they propagated as completely new in style or something. (I might be lacking information there.)
If you think a music band is a bad comparison, take Pokemon or InuYasha. Those would have made great series - if restricted to 52 episodes or so. Instead they drag along and bore people's socks off. 8)
A sequel hardly ever reaches the quality of the original, therefore I'm quite pleased that REC had a stop at its peak imho.

QFT .. absolute truth

I myself don't even bother with anything larger than 52 unless trustworthy friends tell me I should, and even so I will research the title the hell out of it before loosing hours of my time with something that cannot possible hold a serious plot (you will probably note that series larger than 100 episodes are often episoidic or arch-based, which are only an excuse for ever-continuing merchandising)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 17th, 2007, 2:18 am 
Lurker

42317 wrote:
Kesshi wrote:

It just felt as though REC had enough material to build upon and not go stale in the process. I don't like growing attached to characters that I'm only going to see for a short while... >_>

Also gonna have to disagree with you on the Linkin Park statement, but I'll take it to the music section. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 17th, 2007, 2:07 pm 
Major Contributor

Kesshi wrote:
It just felt as though REC had enough material to build upon and not go stale in the process. I don't like growing attached to characters that I'm only going to see for a short while... >_>

Yeah I pretty much feel the same way. The whole series basically is the same length as an average movie. At least a full season's worth would have been nice (13X22 minute episodes) but to some extent I have to agree with 42317 that a full season's worth may have ruined the series in one way or another.

That being said, I still want a sequel . . . :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 17th, 2007, 2:51 pm 
Regular

Quote:

lol, I used to think about that, but than I figured that's life. I like (yeah, call me maso) how I fell sad and nostalgic when a series I love the characters end and want more, but than I figure: how many real life friends I have lost (contact or ...), how many things I have to stop or end?

Wanting a never-ending anime is the same as wanting the world and life to go on forever the way you want, and I think it would actually spoil life the very same way it would spoil the anime ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 17th, 2007, 6:23 pm 

Caiobrz you have a good point, though I don't think any body was talking about that. But yeah when it comes to life, it's perfect as it is, if you try to change it you'll only screw everything up. Mean 90% of the worst things that happen in life are from some idoit trying fix things without really understanding anything. And as Sacraties said, the greatest wisdom is that you know nothing, not the exact quote but you get the point. So really non of us are in a position to 'fix' the world. If you want something go get it, that simple. And also remember shit happens, nothin`you can do about it.