Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 18th, 2017, 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Godzilla Final Wars
PostPosted: April 11th, 2008, 8:11 am 
Resident Scholar

My girlfriend ordered the movie because Kitamura Ryûhei is its director, and because Sakaguchi Tak has a (minor) role in it, so we sat down for about two hours and watched the show.

Years after Godzilla was trapped in a deep cleavage at the south pole, a special military unit of mutants is fighting the occasionally appearing beasts. Suddenly many of these appear at the same time and lay waste to Sidney, Shanghai, Paris and so on, and when the situation is most desparate, an alien spaceship appears and beams the monsters away.
The humanoid aliens proclaim friendship and are warmly welcomed, but behind the scenes they plan to take over the world and use humans as a sort of cattle, since humans have a type of mitochondrion that these aliens need for survival, so they have come to harvest (instead of politely asking for DNA samples so they could produce that stuff in vitro).
And so it goes on: The aliens are of course far too strong to be defeated by human weapons alone, plus they have all the giant monsters run wild, so the protagonists decide to free Godzilla from his cold prison and have him battle the enemy.

Well, I had hoped for a more parodistic approach, since the only things I knew beforehand where Matsuoka Masahiro (drummer of the band TOKIO and comical talent) in a lead role and Emmerich's Godzilla being wasted with a flick of the paw. But Kitamura's Godzilla is as pathetically earnest like all the predecessors, a service for the already hardcore and die-hard fans, whereas I felt something close to being bored, with the 30 minutes of relevant plot and the rest being more or less slow-motioned monster battles with men in rubber suits flattening sandbox cities and plastic toys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2008, 4:07 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
As a huge Godzilla fan myself, I was really disappointed with Final Wars. The human plot was getting in the way from all the kaiju action. There were too many scenes that ripoff from other movies such as The Matrix, Star Wars, X-Men, etc. I was hoping that it would be like Destroy All Monsters, but unfortunately it's not. However I did liked Gigan's new look which it's badass and perhaps the best makeover of the Godzilla kaiju.

Showa Version

Millennium Version

Also the only human character that I liked in the film was Don Frye and that's pretty much it.

Overall, Godzilla: Final Wars was alright, but it could have been so much more and it didn't do any justice on Godzilla's 50th Anniversary.

Here's some threads what my fellow G-fans at Toho Kingdom thought about Final Wars.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18658

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=18521
(Ignore the argument from pages 1-5)

Post subject: Re: Godzilla Final Wars
PostPosted: January 18th, 2009, 5:57 pm 
Newcomer

I watched this over the holidays. I thought the earth defense force was faggy, but the monster shit was ok. lol.

Congratulations Spaz, you're the moderator on everything. Are you still living and spamming the shit out of everything on this board?

PostPosted: January 18th, 2009, 6:56 pm 
Major Contributor

Roque wrote:
I watched this over the holidays. I thought the earth defense force was faggy, but the monster shit was ok. lol.

... Wow. You sure know how to review movies there, skippy. :roll:

Sure, the Earth Defense Force was kinda lame and a rather blatant rip-off of the X-Men, but monster parts are some of the most disappointing in any Godzilla movie I have ever seen, because most of them don't even put up a fight and get pasted by the Big G himself. *cough*Stormstropper Effect!*cough* I consider Final Wars to be like a Michael Bay film, lots of action, fighting, explosions, 3 second cuts, and vague dialogue. I don't really hate this flick myself, but there are a lot of better Godzilla movies out there. Trust me. If you want to see a great Godzilla film, watch Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack(2001) instead, since Shūsuke Kaneko knows how to direct excellent movies, unlike Kitamura Ryûhei.

PostPosted: January 19th, 2009, 7:14 am 

My belief is that Roque hasn't come to discuss the movie...

PostPosted: January 19th, 2009, 3:39 pm 
Resident Scholar

Bloodfairy wrote:

That may be the case... but if I remember correctly he's one of the OG members from BRS.
That avatar looks very familiar. So far I guess he's genuinely pulling Spazmaster's leg.

PostPosted: January 22nd, 2009, 12:31 am 
Newcomer

42317 wrote:
Bloodfairy wrote:

That may be the case... but if I remember correctly he's one of the OG members from BRS.
That avatar looks very familiar. So far I guess he's genuinely pulling Spazmaster's leg.

Yup. I came back just to have a peek around. Actually I searched "hentai reviews" on google and animetric came up first, and I thought, "well hot damn, the boards are still kicking, I'll just mosey on in and have a peek."

I wasn't giving this movie a serious analysis. It doesn't deserve one. It's just campy cheese that's fun to laugh at... well actually it can be fun to review too. Don't take my first post too seriously.

PostPosted: January 26th, 2009, 1:31 pm 
Lurker

Oh wait i've seen this one i love it. :D

PostPosted: July 8th, 2009, 7:06 pm 
Major Contributor

I've seen it, although i can't honestly say i really liked it. I still feel that the whole combat deal was just for the sake of having martial arts done in a Godzilla film (and since the director Ryuhei Kitamura had directed an action flick called Versus; which i haven't seen yet; i wouldn't be suprised if it was his idea). Sure, the whole real Godzilla beating Zilla (aka GINO) bit was very nice, they could've made it a little longer since just the 15-20 seconds of the whole battle didn't make it seem like GINO had not even a fighter's chance of at least scratching the G-Man. The main female protagonist looked very kawaii in her red leather jacket-short blue pants get-up (though that whole dress-up does kinda remind one of a call girl). The one thing that really disappoints me about the Godzilla movies is that they always have the male and female protagonists have some level of romantic interest in each other, but they NEVER kiss. :d-_-b: Just a hug and smiling at each other, like they always do. :wtf: If the 2014 date of restarting the franchise still stands, i hope that they break that tradition in at least one of the movies. It's really sad; at least to me; that it had to be in the GINO movie where i got my wish. :sigh:

PostPosted: July 8th, 2009, 10:29 pm 
Major Contributor

G-Core wrote:
I've seen it, although i can't honestly say i really liked it. I still feel that the whole combat deal was just for the sake of having martial arts done in a Godzilla film (and since the director Ryuhei Kitamura had directed an action flick called Versus; which i haven't seen yet; i wouldn't be suprised if it was his idea). Sure, the whole real Godzilla beating Zilla (aka GINO) bit was very nice, they could've made it a little longer since just the 15-20 seconds of the whole battle didn't make it seem like GINO had not even a fighter's chance of at least scratching the G-Man.

I don't blame ya. As a huge fan of the Big G himself, I was quite disappointed with it. In fact, alot of fans hated it, but then there's alot of fans that do love it, well mostly the younger fans. If you want a really good Godzilla movie, watch Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
(2001) and it's directed by Shusuke Kaneko ( who directed the 90s Gamera Trilogy and the Death Note movies). He knows how to make REALLY spectacular monster movies, unlike Ryuhei Kitamura.

G-Core wrote:
The one thing that really disappoints me about the Godzilla movies is that they always have the male and female protagonists have some level of romantic interest in each other, but they NEVER kiss. :d-_-b: Just a hug and smiling at each other, like they always do. :wtf:

Actually, Invasion of Astro Monster, aka Godzilla vs. Monster Zero(1965) had a romantic subplot between Glen (played by Nick Adams) and Miss Namikawa (played by Kumi Mizuno), which ended quite tragically.
Spoiler
It turns out that Miss Namikawa was an Xilien spy who has fallen in love with Glenn and is soon extermined by her own kind for showing too much emotion toward him.
And yes, they do kiss in that movie.

G-Core wrote:
If the 2014 date of restarting the franchise still stands, i hope that they break that tradition in at least one of the movies. It's really sad; at least to me; that it had to be in the GINO movie where i got my wish. :sigh:

Well, ticket sales for the Millennium series were not so good and it's really uncertain IF Toho would risk making a new Godzilla movie. Only time will tell. :(

PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 9:50 am 
Major Contributor

I have seen the Kaneko movie, and yeah that one is way better. :) And yes, i have seen Kaneko's Gamera trilogy :booyah: (haven't seen his Death Note movies yet).

It's been a long time since i've seen Monster Zero and unfortunately i only have it on video which is the edited, dubbed version with the abysmal voices one usually finds in those dubs of yesteryear. Now when i think about it, there was a scene where Nick and the nerdy guy (i think he was played by Akira Kubo) who was the boyfriend of Akira Takarada's character's sister were locked up and it was when the nerdy guy used his whistle-like invention to get them out of there. I think that was due to the girl Nick was interested in who turned out to be one of the aliens, but i don't remember if they kissed. And since it was the edited, dubbed version, maybe they cut that scene from the American broadcast, i may be wrong.

PostPosted: July 9th, 2009, 2:59 pm 
Major Contributor

G-Core wrote:
I have seen the Kaneko movie, and yeah that one is way better. :) And yes, i have seen Kaneko's Gamera trilogy :booyah: (haven't seen his Death Note movies yet).

Hellz yeah. Great to see someone here that appriciates kaiju films like I do. 8)

G-Core wrote:
It's been a long time since i've seen Monster Zero and unfortunately i only have it on video which is the edited, dubbed version with the abysmal voices one usually finds in those dubs of yesteryear. Now when i think about it, there was a scene where Nick and the nerdy guy (i think he was played by Akira Kubo) who was the boyfriend of Akira Takarada's character's sister were locked up and it was when the nerdy guy used his whistle-like invention to get them out of there. I think that was due to the girl Nick was interested in who turned out to be one of the aliens, but i don't remember if they kissed. And since it was the edited, dubbed version, maybe they cut that scene from the American broadcast, i may be wrong.

No, they didn't editted those scenes and kept them and to be honest, the dubbed version isn't that bad as with most of the Showa series. The Heisei and Millennium series dubs were much, MUCH worse and don't get me started with them. :vomit:

PostPosted: July 10th, 2009, 5:29 pm 
Resident Scholar

G-Core wrote:
they NEVER kiss.

How many Japanese movies with a kiss scene do you actually know?
Such intimacy is not that common there.

PostPosted: July 10th, 2009, 6:13 pm 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
G-Core wrote:
they NEVER kiss.

How many Japanese movies with a kiss scene do you actually know?
Such intimacy is not that common there.

Hmmm... That does bring up a question.

How come kissing is usually more common in anime than in Japanese movies?

PostPosted: July 10th, 2009, 7:27 pm 
Major Contributor

Final Wars also pretty much solidified my stern belief that Minilla (Godzilla's son) is the most annoying mistake the Japanese made with the franchise. While it was good that they didn't repeat the usual "Father-Son Lesson" scene of the old days in which G-Man shoots out fire and when Minilla tries, only the fire circle pops out and the classic case of tough love presents itself when G has to step on Jr. tail for sonny boy to do it right. But the whole subplot of Minilla with the old man and the little kid was most definitely one the movie could've done without since it a very minimal subplot (not much time and very few scenes centered on the trio) so it feels almost pointless. :d-_-b:

And that whole kissing thing in anime but never in live-action J-flicks, must be an oversight unfortunately. :diss: