Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 21st, 2017, 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spoilers that Ruined a Title for You/Location Warnings
PostPosted: March 31st, 2008, 1:52 am 
Post Master

ANN B5C review
*Visits comment section*
First comment, second sentence, SPOILS THE FUCKING END, NO SPOILER TAG ON IT. What is wrong with these types of people? The retard didn't even need to spoil it to comment on how he felt about the ending.

It's quite great timing, that DVD just came out. Not very many people have it yet.

Just a warning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 31st, 2008, 2:51 pm 
Regular

here is a warning for you...

DO NOT READ ANY REVIEWS! ESPECIALLY USER COMMENTS!

i only rely on the plot summary in the internet movie database. i do not focus 1 inch down from the summary because sometimes the plot keywords spoil it for me...

having zero expectations has changed my movie watching experience for the better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 31st, 2008, 6:08 pm 
Resident Scholar

You're quite spontaneous when it comes to thread creation, aren't you? :lol:
Anything goes (Anime Version) would have done the job. What do you suggest is a thread labelled "Spoilers! Argh!" good for on the long run?
If you had labelled it "Reviews containing Spoilers","Review Spoiler Blacklist", or something like that, it could serve as a database for online reviews one should avoid.

I propose renaming by Mod.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 31st, 2008, 8:50 pm 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
What do you suggest is a thread labelled "Spoilers! Argh!" good for on the long run?
If you had labelled it "Reviews containing Spoilers","Review Spoiler Blacklist", or something like that, it could serve as a database for online reviews one should avoid.

I kind of wonder the point of this as well.

And what of Wikipedia? Except for the last few chapters of Naruto, much of what I know about what's getting published in Japan is from them...

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 31st, 2008, 10:46 pm 
Post Master

dbd_addict, I always read the plot summary, grades/stars/whatever, and the final paragraph which summarizes everything. I sometimes read comments as some of them are useful, but some are just plain shit. I usually don't expect to like something just from a review, but it tells me whether the technical aspects are noteworthy and any other information about the product.

Unfortunately it seems it still hasn't be tagged yet. I'm going to be more careful in the comments section.

42317, looks like it has been changed. I mainly put this thread up because the review came out like a few minutes/hours before, and ANN is very popular. I'm just trying to prevent anyone here from reading it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 1st, 2008, 1:27 am 

dbd_addict wrote:
here is a warning for you...

DO NOT READ ANY REVIEWS! ESPECIALLY USER COMMENTS!

i only rely on the plot summary in the internet movie database. i do not focus 1 inch down from the summary because sometimes the plot keywords spoil it for me...

having zero expectations has changed my movie watching experience for the better.
Same here, I'm finally coming to realize that reading reviews just spoils everything for you, if the tittle of the movie is engaging or the actor/actress is a good one then I'm going to will watch the movie. Nowadays, I will just be by the movies and see what looks interesting, by the poster, and watch it. Don't even watch TV anymore so I don't really get any movie previews besides the ones I see at the movies.
And yes it's even better to watch anime series with the only expectation that someone said it was good. I've been spoiled quite a few times after reviewing quickly a title on the internet, but sometimes you do need a brief description of the title.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 1st, 2008, 8:24 am 
Resident Scholar

I actually thought my proposals for thread renaming were sort of reasonable and now look at that monster!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 1st, 2008, 2:18 pm 
Regular

haha!

i was fine with the original name, minus the cursing...

though i am against large threads. i would rather people post in a bunch of little threads going off on tangents instead of one massive random thread. it makes the forum seem like it is moving to new visitors.

i doubt anybody would have anything to add to this thread, it is really just a rant.

ps. rants are good! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 1st, 2008, 2:53 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
42317 wrote:
I actually thought my proposals for thread renaming were sort of reasonable and now look at that monster!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Figured I'd cover all bases 8)

I found a mod for merging threads, it seems it was never actually an official release, or a fully tested release anyway, so it has a number of bugs that can crop up. I'm going to give installing it a shot though, as it would be quite helpful. I just hope it doesn't own something...

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2008, 3:21 am 
Major Contributor

wolfwood wrote:
Same here, I'm finally coming to realize that reading reviews just spoils everything for you, if the tittle of the movie is engaging or the actor/actress is a good one then I'm going to will watch the movie. Nowadays, I will just be by the movies and see what looks interesting, by the poster, and watch it. Don't even watch TV anymore so I don't really get any movie previews besides the ones I see at the movies.
And yes it's even better to watch anime series with the only expectation that someone said it was good. I've been spoiled quite a few times after reviewing quickly a title on the internet, but sometimes you do need a brief description of the title.

One of the reasons why I try to be as vague as possible whenever I write a review for a series, though sometimes it's hard to review a series especially when a main point of criticism involves major plot developments (My-HiME is a good example of this).

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2008, 3:41 am 
Regular

I seem to be addicted to spoiling series for myself. I forced my friend to tell me the ending of Deathnote (though I came pretty close to guessing the ending after only two volumes), I constantly check wikipedia for any series that I haven't seen much of or haven't finished (I knew the ending to Higurashi when they still wer on the first season), and I just can't resist reviews or reading a review when I see *Spoilers* (actually I read the comment that mmsven warned us about, reverse psychology I suppose).

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2008, 12:53 pm 
Resident Scholar

Cab329 wrote:
I forced my friend to tell me the ending of Deathnote

You forced him/her? :lol:
How did you do that?

"Tell me... NOW! Otherwise I'd be forced to write your name on this piece of toilet paper that I received from a certain somebody from the Third Circle of Hell!" :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 2nd, 2008, 4:24 pm 
Regular

42317 wrote:
You forced him/her? :lol:
How did you do that?

"Tell me... NOW! Otherwise I'd be forced to write your name on this piece of toilet paper that I received from a certain somebody from the Third Circle of Hell!" :lol:

I phrased that wrong (piece of toilet paper lol). I just kept pestering him until he told me (he was surprised that I had been able to guess the ending so closely, so he just cleared up a few things (Though I just gave him a blank stare when he talked about Mello and Near)). I also tried to get him to spoil Hikaru no go, but he wouldn't budge.

It's not like I have to have a series spoiled, but if I'm unable to watch it all at once, I tend to search the internet for more, which usually results in another series being spoiled (I think that's why I like buying boxsets; I can devour an entire series before I get tempted to go online).

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 12th, 2008, 1:54 am 
Regular

None of my reviews (www.daisuki.com.br) ever spoil a title. In fact, I take care not to spoil stuff that happens from second episode onwards.

SAME can be said about Animetric reviews. Never read a single spoiler at them.

On the other hand, keep a safe big freaking distance from ANN, Animenfo, User-posted reviews on *ANY* site and most specially wikipedia. They will spoil you in a couple of seconds, with grace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 12th, 2008, 7:09 pm 
Resident Scholar

Caiobrz wrote:
On the other hand, keep a safe big freaking distance from ANN

I haven't read any full reviews from ANN yet, and I'm not interested in the first place.
The synopsis and cast are enough for me anyway to know whether I'd like to take a bite.