Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 19th, 2017, 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Check reviews before posting.
PostPosted: March 17th, 2007, 9:05 pm 
Newcomer

As a visitor of Animetric since 2003, I've read the majority of the reviews. One aspect of Animetric that I like is the professional quality of the review in terms of content, and grammar. But I noticed that, ever since the recent acquisition of the site by another host, the quality of the reviews have severely plummeted. I'm not flaming. In fact, I'm doing the furthest thing from flaming, I'm trying to make sure that the website, which I love so much, stays up as long as possible. And, for a site of such value to not live up to its original standards, or even exceeding those standards, I'm genuinely worried that the site will slowly start losing subscribers such as myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 17th, 2007, 11:28 pm 

We appreciate your input, but can you tell us which reviews you're referring to? Also, subscriber isn't the word you were looking for as animetric doesn't charge users to be here. I think you mean user / visitor.

Comments are always welcome, and suggestions as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 18th, 2007, 12:28 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
*I just want to start out by saying that your comments are appreciated and I will strive harder to keep up “quality control” when proofing/posting reviews.

That being said, I don't pretend to be some great writer, I am a business major after all :wink: and writing has never been my strong suit. Both of the new reviewers are not paid for writing reviews for the site, they do it because they want to help out a place they love and have gone to for many years now. I do what I can to read over all the reviews, to make sure they sound coherent and flow, checking spelling and grammar as best I can. I do this a little less with the reviews that aren't mine since I try not to tinker too much with what they have written. Sometimes I miss things, spelling wise or grammar wise, it is inevitable as I am not perfect nor an expert on the English language.

Nevertheless, to say that the reviews have "severely plummeted" in quality is rather harsh. I have written a total of four reviews, ever. All of which are posted on this site. Mrs. Lei has written some 500+ reviews for this website alone. It's a slightly unfair comparison to make with someone so experienced at writing reviews as compared to me, or the other reviewers for that matter. She’s been writing reviews for over 7 years, I have about 2 months under my belt.

I am not trying to say that my reviews are up to the quality of hers in terms of grammar, though content is arguable as different people want to know different things about the title they are reading a review for. But I will secede that too since I am still figuring out what exactly I want to include and not include in my reviews, but that will get better in time.

When I bought this site I wanted to make sure that people continued to have a place to go where they could read reviews for titles, to see which are good and which should be avoided. So that people would have a better idea of what they should look at buying vs. renting or completely avoiding. My concern for it being as professional as possible is not the most important thing to me, so I am sorry if that’s what you are looking for/expecting.

The point is that the reviews will get better, from me and from Tony and Joshua as we continue to write them and figure out our own styles. This being the case, to expect our reviews to instantly be as high-quality as the others on this website is not going to happen, its going to take some time. Especially if you view our current reviews as being so much worse than the others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 18th, 2007, 11:19 am 

Well that was a long winded explaination. But really guys cut the new reviews some slack, I haven't noticed this supposed huge drop in quiality since the new admin took over. Sure are the reviews as good as the old ones, no to be frank but they aren't that far off. Mean their better then most of the amazon reviews I that usually have to rely on other wise. And i haven't seen any other review site coming close to the quality of the reviews here so just give the new wirtters to get used to things.

My only bone to pick is that Elfen Lied only got 4.5 star rating when they couldn't find anything wrong with it. :x :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 18th, 2007, 9:01 pm 

The Adict wrote:
Well that was a long winded explaination. But really guys cut the new reviews some slack, I haven't noticed this supposed huge drop in quiality since the new admin took over. Sure are the reviews as good as the old ones, no to be frank but they aren't that far off. Mean their better then most of the amazon reviews I that usually have to rely on other wise. And i haven't seen any other review site coming close to the quality of the reviews here so just give the new wirtters to get used to things.

My only bone to pick is that Elfen Lied only got 4.5 star rating when they couldn't find anything wrong with it. :x :evil:

I gave it a 4.5 because it wasn't longer, that was my chief complaint with the whole series. I really dislike series that hook me that way and end so suddenly with me guessing what happens with one of the main characters.

Oh, and writing reviews isn't my best attribute either, i'm a Civil Engineering student. So, cut me some slack :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19th, 2007, 1:27 am 
Newcomer

You're right. I was too harsh in this evaluation. But. of course, I've had all this pent up anger I needed releasing. Sorry guys. XD

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19th, 2007, 1:52 am 
Resident Admin

Mobius3x wrote:
You're right. I was too harsh in this evaluation. But. of course, I've had all this pent up anger I needed releasing. Sorry guys. XD

It's no problem. I will strive to keep the quality higher in the future reviews. I will also go back and re-read the other reviews I have posted on this site and correct any errors that I find, as soon as I finish with this damn Business Finance project.

Also, if something does pass by me, considering no matter how many times I read something some grammar stuff is going to, you are always free to post, PM, or e-mail me about the mistake. That way the next time I encounter it I will hopefully realize the error and not make it/let it slide again.

Irregardless, thank you for your comments and I hope our future reviews will be of the “higher quality” you are looking for.

ACM

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19th, 2007, 10:25 am 

We strive to make the reviews the best that we can, and sometimes, it's hard to do when compared to someone who did it before us. I know we all have different types of styles and such, but we all try to do the best we can.

With that said, I welcome all comments with each review that I do, as well as other reviews in general. I get a sense of what people want, and if no one says anything, I try to keep the same review format in every review I do. Good or bad, I like to see what other people think.

I think all 3 of the us (reviewers) are pretty new to the anime review process, and that we are working on improving our grammar, style, and syntax on everything we do. So please help on making this site continue its highest degree in excellent by giving us input.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 22nd, 2007, 11:56 pm 
Newcomer

Azumanga Daioh review:

"There's a lot of running gags (Sakaki with the cats and Chiyo-chan’s father scenarios) that some people may get tired of them."

XD Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 26th, 2007, 12:26 am 
Newcomer

I initially had no plans to join this forum but I've been getting emails regarding trivial things like spelling, grammar, screenshot layout, etc. and would just like to say something even if I am no longer connected to this site.

I'm indescribably obssessive compulsive when it comes to writing. Spelling and grammar must be perfect at all times which is why I chose to review everything myself, so I can control the quality. It has always been that way ever since I wrote review number one, which is incidentally 3x3 Eyes.

Same goes for layout. My screenshots are spaced perfectly down to the last millimeter. That is just how OC I am.

I have no right to tell you what to do but please do try to be more strict when it comes to quality control. It pains me to hear people complain about the site deteriorating especially since I was the one who chose who would continue it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 26th, 2007, 1:03 am 

rowena wrote:
I initially had no plans to join this forum but I've been getting emails regarding trivial things like spelling, grammar, screenshot layout, etc. and would just like to say something even if I am no longer connected to this site.

I'm indescribably obssessive compulsive when it comes to writing. Spelling and grammar must be perfect at all times which is why I chose to review everything myself, so I can control the quality. It has always been that way ever since I wrote review number one, which is incidentally 3x3 Eyes.

Same goes for layout. My screenshots are spaced perfectly down to the last millimeter. That is just how OC I am.

I have no right to tell you what to do but please do try to be more strict when it comes to quality control. It pains me to hear people complain about the site deteriorating especially since I was the one who chose who would continue it.

I can only speak for myself on this, and my reviews but I will try my best to live up to your examples. I'm not exactly an English major, so i'm not going to pretend to know everything there is to know about writing.

Which is why, I have numerous people check over my reviews before sending them off to Aaron who does the final check. I really appreciate your tips I believe they will help me become a better reviewer.

Welcome back! to the forums and thanks for the tips.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 26th, 2007, 2:39 am 
Resident Admin

Mobius3x wrote:
Azumanga Daioh review:

"There's a lot of running gags (Sakaki with the cats and Chiyo-chan’s father scenarios) that some people may get tired of them."

XD Sorry, I couldn't resist.

I see the problem with There's, but what is the problem with them?

rowena wrote:

Why you are getting e-mails for things like grammar, spelling, screen shot layout, etcetera is beyond me. I have not received a single one yet, just this forum thread about it. Thanks for forwarding those to me so I could do something about it though :wink: Regardless of your other points which I have already covered, if people are so anal as to complain about the fricking screen shot layout... I think I will stop there, you get the idea. I am done with this, I have already said I will go back through and correct the old reviews, along with keeping future reviews at a higher quality.

Last edited by Acmurphy on March 26th, 2007, 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 26th, 2007, 3:17 am 

Welcome back Ro, but I see it's not a pleasant return. Anyways, when i write I do check to see what's up with my review, and I let others proof it as well, because I definitely know that I will make mistakes, and that I will think it's perfect, but there would be lots of mistakes. I have a couple of people look at it, and then Aaron takes a good look at it before it's posted up. I don't see why they just don't send anything about the reviews to us, because we do have our emails in the review just in case if they have any comments or concerns with it...

Anyways, I hope people read this, and hope they don't bother you Ro, since you aren't connected with the site anymore, and that the comments made by people about the reviews (by me or the other reviewers) should directly come to me through this forum, or by email or forward to the specific reviewer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 26th, 2007, 8:52 am 

-_- Just a fan.

This is getting ugly. Ya'll should continue this in e-mail or PM. But since it's public anyway, let be butt and say:

Content with the relative maturity the new staff is taking this so far. Hope you guys don't fold to the pressure.

PS. You should give Elfen Lied due credit. It ain't it's fault that it could not satisfy your appetite.

Last edited by Dei on March 26th, 2007, 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 26th, 2007, 9:06 am 
Newcomer

Maybe some people are used to emailing me over the years, I don't know... :?

Anyhow lately I seem to prefer reviewing restaurants and beauty products in my blog rather than anything anime-related.

I'm just incredibly OC... if you notice even the spaces of my title graphics have some sort of equality in terms of measurements. I'm not telling you to copy me but that's just how I am... maybe it's the Libra in me. :twisted:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next