Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 16th, 2017, 10:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Why are certain versions cheaper?
PostPosted: November 9th, 2007, 8:57 pm 
Post Master

I'm talking about those "Anime Legends", "Anime Classics" and stuff like that. Other then the label on the top, is anything else different to lower the value?

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9th, 2007, 9:12 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Well, sometimes they may be minus extras or on a lower number of discs, but basically no real difference. They look at it as after a certain about of time people who want to buy the individual releases will have already gotten them, so they come out with a box set, usually for somewhat of a discount from the price of buying all the individuals. Then, after a period of time has passed they figure that everyone who is going to buy it for that price has done so, so they either reduce the price, create a new box set and sell it for even less, or they might sell the distribution rights to someone else to see if they can't sell any more of the title. It is all a game to get the most money they can out of a given title. People who are really interested or really like a title will buy the individuals, people that like it, but don't want to spend that much money may buy the box set, and people that don't even know what it is or have never even heard of it may be willing to buy the Anime Legends or some such release for much less than the other two options just to give it a try on a whim. It is all based on time as well, since a box set will usually be released after a year of the final individual release volume, so if you want it now you will have t pay more than waiting years for subsequent, cheaper releases. That is it in a nut shell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9th, 2007, 9:22 pm 
Post Master

Ah thanks. The reason I asked was because theres a HUGE difference in price between the .hack//sign box sets.

.Hack//sign (1)
.Hack//sign (2)

Of course I will buy the anime legends one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 3rd, 2008, 5:41 am 
Post Master

Can somebody tell me what Media Blasters economy boxsets are like in terms of packaging quality?

I'm wondering because all the other money-saving sets prices have been justified with inferior packaging and extras.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 4th, 2008, 2:33 pm 
Resident Scholar

Mmsven wrote:

I'm impressed... that is some difference. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 5th, 2008, 1:07 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Mmsven wrote:
Can somebody tell me what Media Blasters economy boxsets are like in terms of packaging quality?

I'm wondering because all the other money-saving sets prices have been justified with inferior packaging and extras.

Well, the only one I have from Media Blasters that is an economy box set is the Berserk Brick set. It still has the same extras as the box set, but it is in a smaller 6 disc case that has a 2 disc holder on either side and one in the middle. That's an older Media Blasters brick though, so I can't really say about the more recent ones.