Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 18th, 2017, 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 24th, 2008, 4:33 pm 
Resident Scholar

The Adict wrote:
By the time I got into DBZ I was already babtized.

You know, it takes some cultural knowledge to see why that is so special.
I guess most Christians are baptized before they can actually say "Hey, wait a minute!!" :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 25th, 2008, 1:36 am 

Oh thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Non Christians and Jews have no idea what I'm talking about when I say that. Thanks. All I mean is that I had been a fan of anime for 2 years by the time I first started watching DBZ. And I was only 10? Yeah I think that's right. Damn I feel old.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 25th, 2008, 12:55 pm 
Major Contributor

The Adict wrote:
To be honest I'm probably the only one here that hasn't seen the orginal Japanese version. :oops: I've only seen the American unedited version.

In truth, the main differences between the edited version and the original version is in the first 67 episodes (which was cut down to 53 episodes in the edited US version). The other differences is a slight censoring in some of the bloodier scenes and an editing of the dialogue (i.e. "Mr. Satan" was changed to "Hercule.") I watched the entire thing both on Cartoon Network and on the FUNimation DVD releases and I have to say that the actually differences are slight in the latter episodes. And the dubbing isn't so bad either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 25th, 2008, 4:38 pm 

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I didn't like the pre-namic sagas any way.

I agree I thought the dubbing for DBZ was actually quiet good especially considering the time peroid it was dubbed in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 25th, 2008, 9:07 pm 
Newcomer

The Adict wrote:
Still when comparing DBZ with Yu-yu Hakasho, i can't help but wonder how the two even compare. DBZ had much better fights, especially the Cell Saga, Yu-Yu had better characters and story line.

I am sorry Adict, but I completly disagree with you regardinz DBZ Had better fights. I will be the first to admit that DBZ had stellar fights, but they all ended the same way, one charecter would get somewhat stronger than another and eventuallly beat the crap out of them or an energy beam attack would over take them. When I first saw a Yu-Yu Hakusho Fight I was really intrested how it would turn out, each charecter won not just by being stronger, or had a new transformation, but becasue they used tactics, were smarter, or they introduced a new attack or weapon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 26th, 2008, 6:32 pm 
Resident Scholar

I'd have to agree with drkdmon. DBZ had some coolness to the fights, and some where really epic, but, how can I put it, the ever similar presentation became boring after a while.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 28th, 2008, 11:29 pm 

When I say the fights were better I meant they were funner to watch. That is until they became formulated. Still until the end of Cell Saga there were few that were more peic and fun to watch.

Best fight I have ever seen in terms of tenchicality, realism, intesity and such had to be Kenshin verse the Wolf of Meibu from Ruroni Keshin season two. That fight was amazing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 28th, 2008, 11:45 pm 
Newcomer

hmmmm more fun to watch maybe. Super Saiyan stuff was my favorite thing about DBZ. I swear when I first saw the episode where Goku went Super Saiyan 3, I had the second biggest geekgasm's of my life. First place goes to when I saw Hiei do, "dragon of the darkness flame" attack :twisted:.
I have never seen the fight you are talking about,but I have seen a few episodes of Ruroni Kenshin and enjoyed it quite a bit.

Post subject: Re: What's everybody's top 10 Favorite Anime?
PostPosted: December 20th, 2010, 12:38 am 

I thought I would update my list, after all it's been over 3 years since I last posted here in this thread:

01. Last Exile
02. Monster
03. Gankutsuou
04. Hunter X Hunter
05. Planetes
06. The Vision of Escaflowne
07. Azumanga Daioh
08. Honey and Clover (I & II)
09. Haibane Renmei
10. Lupin III: Castle of Cagliostro

11. Noir / Trigun/ Cowboy Bebop/ Gunslinger Girl
12. Ergo Proxy
13. FMP Fumoffu
14. Kare Kano
15. Graveyard of the Fireflies

As I had said before, I didn't include GTO and Berserk because they have better manga counterparts!
I've watched many anime movies, most were outstanding but few memorable enough.

I still have a few series that are in my to watch list that have a chance of getting into my top 10: Now and then, here and there (which I'm planning to watch tomorrow), Nana, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, Kino's Journey (I started this one at some point but forgot about it, I have to finish it one of these days), Red Garden, Moyashimon, Mushishi,

PostPosted: December 24th, 2010, 8:51 pm 
Resident Scholar

wolfwood wrote:

That's cheating, pressing eight more titles into a top 10 that has expanded to 15! :lol:

PostPosted: December 25th, 2010, 6:25 pm 

42317 wrote:
wolfwood wrote:

That's cheating, pressing eight more titles into a top 10 that has expanded to 15! :lol:
But I didn't include them in my top 10!!! So it's not cheating! I just added a few for comparison purposes haha.

Anyways, I've decided on what two other anime series I'll be watching the next couple of days, two apparently excellent comedies:

-The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya: I remember this one had lots of positive comments here on the forum.
-Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei: I never heard of this one prior to reading certain review, but there are very positive comments all over the internet, it seems it'll be a fun watch!