Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 20th, 2017, 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Vampire Hunter D
PostPosted: November 11th, 2007, 1:30 am 
Regular

This thread is for info and questions about the Vampire Hunter D Novels and manga.

Has anyone read the Vampire Hunter D manga series? It hits the states on the 14th of this month, but I was wondering if anyone had read some scans. All I know about it is that each volume is a retelling of a novel (so you'll have to wait till volume 2 if you have'nt read "Raiser of Gales"). I'm excited, as I really enjoy the novels, but I wonder if they'll censor it or change the story like they did with the movies.

Also...The Rose princess came out on shelves last week. I have'nt picked it up, but it's the last standalone novel (after this, it's going to be two and three-parters...and hopefully they'll bring over that story that's been broadcast on cellphones in Japan (though hopefully it will be in one complete anthology)).

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 16th, 2007, 9:02 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Well, I can't say I have read the actual manga yet, but there was a piece of it in my Otaku USA magazine I got a little while back. As you said, it follows pretty much how the start of the first novel went, with the arrival of D and Doris testing his worth with her whip. Seemed fine and had almost exactly the same dialogue so it doesn't seem to have been changed any, at least yet.

Rightstuf just shipped me The Rose Princess, I can't wait! Though with the lack of time I have had lately, I still haven't gotten to read the last one! Arg... Though it is interesting to hear that all the ones after this are two and three parters :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 16th, 2007, 10:07 am 
Regular

That's good to hear :D I went to the B&N yesterday, but they did'nt have either of them.

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 26th, 2007, 6:12 pm 
Regular

So, Acmurphy, have you gotten your copy yet? I went to the bookstores, and none of them even knew the release date (I need to start shopping online).

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 26th, 2007, 6:35 pm 
Resident Admin

Actually, I did get my copy in just the other day. Since I've had a bunch of tests lately, and finals coming up, I haven't been able to read the one before it still, so I should be able to get to it soon as things calm down. I also bought the VHD Manga, (hasn't been shipped yet, but I bought it) so it will be interesting to see how it turns out on the whole.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 26th, 2007, 6:40 pm 
Regular

Yeah, finals are really being a drag this semester. Tell me how they are when you have time to read them.

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 26th, 2007, 6:50 pm 
Resident Admin

I'll certainly do that :D I have an 11 day lull between two finals so I have to do something in-between them! Well, when I get tired of studying anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 26th, 2007, 7:01 pm 
Regular

11 DAYS??????

I guess it's because your school's so big...but damn!

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2007, 6:43 am 
Resident Admin

Well, I just got done reading Mysterious Journey to the North Sea part 2. I really should have re-read the first part, because I couldn't remember who was who in it concerning the enemies and what they have done in the other book. Other than my being lost some of the time, it was another great read. It was great in the way that it had so many enemies with a number of different alliances made to take out D and such. I didn't like how short some of the end battles were though, as some seemed too simple and easy to have been won. Now I get to move onto the next one, Rose Princess, which will hopefully be just as entertaining as the others have been.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 25th, 2007, 11:32 pm 
Regular

I finished Rose Princess, and while the ending was rushed, I did like the fights with the knights.

The manga was...okay, they made a couple subtle changes, but the art style was'nt all that great. Still, I do want to see more (especially the sixth one)

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 24th, 2008, 5:11 am 
Resident Admin

Just got done with Rose Princess. Took me forever. You were definitely right about the end feeling rushed. They did all the major fights in about 10 pages, all of which were rather short. I actually felt like the story was being dragged out while I was reading it, as it keep on going with no one fighting and nothing really happening. I did like it, but it just didn't quite feel the same as the others to me.

And I was quite sad when he broke his sword! :cry:

I guess the 10th one should be coming out in April now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 24th, 2008, 1:20 pm 
Regular

Supposedly, but those dates have been wrong before.

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject: Re: Vampire Hunter D
PostPosted: May 20th, 2008, 4:14 am 
Resident Admin

Hoho! Got volume 10 in :D Haven't gotten to read too far into it yet, only 10 pages, but already we have crazy happenings. Like the man with his
Spoiler
head that opens almost completely around his whole head at the mouth level so he can swallow things whole, like a Woodsnake, at which point he seems to store them, alive, in various stomach compartments :shock: Should be interesting, especially if by doing so he somehow gains control over them to use at a later point :twisted:

PostPosted: May 23rd, 2008, 10:19 pm 
Regular

I bought volume 10 but I haven't read it yet...I was surprised to see that it was a compilation as opposed to a novel...can't wait to start it.

Dr. Insane-o

PostPosted: May 24th, 2008, 4:42 am 
Resident Admin

Ya, I just got done with the first story. I had no idea it was a collection of 3 short stories, so I was like, holy cow this is moving really quick, I have no idea where he's going to get another 100+ pages of material from, well that seems like the end... Next page chapter 1...

I thought the first chapter seemed like standard fare. It didn't really have any particularly exciting fight scenes and the story completed itself rather quickly without fleshing things out as much as I would have liked. Hopefully the next one is a little more enthralling for me.