Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 16th, 2017, 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Our Virtual Bodies, Ourselves?
PostPosted: February 20th, 2008, 6:46 am 
Regular

http://www.nickyee.com/daedalus/archive ... php?page=1

An interesting study from the Daedalus Project about MMO players and the kinds of characters they create for themselves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 21st, 2008, 2:25 am 
Post Master

I usually just choose whatever looks coolest. Spikes and gothic tattoos? yes. I rarely play MMORPGs anyway. They are really boring.

I only play Starcraft, FPS, racers, platformers, and action-adventure games. Not RPGs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 21st, 2008, 4:56 am 
Regular

Funny thing is, spikes and gothic tattoos would be considered "dark and menacing", which is normally chosen by younger players. Which you are. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2008, 7:18 am 
Post Master

I wouldn't say "players" since I never actually play that stuff. And no, the fact that I'm young isn't funny to me. It's only natural that not everyone is 30+ years old. If that we're true then we would go extinct rather quickly. Do you favor the extinction of the human race? Would you rather gorillas take the spot as a dominent species? No, I didn't think so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 23rd, 2008, 7:49 pm 
Regular

What I found funny was the fact that the study was right, not you in particular. And while I, personally, would like the human race to survive, I think it's undeniable we're doing an incredible amount of damage to the Earth's ecosystems. Were I overlord of the world, I'd order some truly radical policies to bring down the world's populations to a more reasonable level (I think 1 billion people is enough to keep the world's economy stable and still remain in harmony with the rest of the planet.)

Gorillas couldn't take our spot as the dominant species if we suddenly died out tomorrow. Their population in the wild is so small due to hunting and loss of habitat that scientists estimate there's less than 2000 remaining. Even if we all disappeared, the gorillas have such a small gene pool that a single virulent disease could wipe them out.

No, if humans all died tomorrow, the species that would replace us would be either cockroaches or ants. Possibly rats too.