Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GITS Innocence
PostPosted: October 18th, 2007, 2:35 am 
Post Master

I have seen this anime and love it, but I am pissed off that I can't get the dub around here. If I bought a R4 DVD, I know my DVD player wont play it, but since consoles are sold worldwide, would my PS2 be able to play it? PS3?

Also does anyone know any stores where I could get it? If not then Ebay will have to do.

Edit: Nevermind. I need a region free dvd player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 21st, 2007, 3:11 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
I believe there is a way to setup for computer so it can play different regions, but I am not sure. I know one method in which you can change the region code on your OS or something, but you can only do it like 3-5 times before you are stuck. So ya, a region free DVD player would probably be the best way to go. I was looking at them a little while ago and there are a ton of them, so pick yourself a good one. (No dub on GitS Innocence is rather annoying :evil: ).

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 21st, 2007, 4:23 am 
Major Contributor

What DVD drive do you have for you PC? Most newer DVD-ROMs, DVD-RW drives will have either region-free firmware you can update with. You can also get something called AnyDVD which will take are of region-protection for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 21st, 2007, 4:32 am 
Post Master

Its a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H10N. I found the regional setting for it. I currently dont have any region selected for it. There is a limit to 5 changes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 21st, 2007, 6:05 am 
Major Contributor

Acmurphy wrote:
I believe there is a way to setup for computer so it can play different regions, but I am not sure. I know one method in which you can change the region code on your OS or something, but you can only do it like 3-5 times before you are stuck.

I can confirm 5 on my Mac.

Acmurphy wrote:
So ya, a region free DVD player would probably be the best way to go. I was looking at them a little while ago and there are a ton of them, so pick yourself a good one.

It's about all I know of to do.

Acmurphy wrote:
(No dub on GitS Innocence is rather annoying :evil: ).

Especially since Manga Entertainment's UK edition has an English track featuring the same cast as SAC. DreamWorks, the company that released the DVD, also did this with Millennium Actress and Ringu. Ringu I don't mind so much, because it's live action. But GITS and Millennium Actress? I just feel like since animation is dubbed to begin with, it wouldn't hurt anything to include an English dub track when importing anime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 21st, 2007, 12:57 pm 
Resident Admin

shgarland wrote:
But GITS and Millennium Actress? I just feel like since animation is dubbed to begin with, it wouldn't hurt anything to include an English dub track when importing anime.

I hear ya. With such a large release as GitS Innocence, there was really no reason not to dub it, the cost would have been much smaller in comparison to the number of sales than with most other anime releases.

And ya, that limit on the number of changes is dirty, but I am sure somewhere they have figured out a way to bypass this, maybe the firmware or AnyDVD stuff Spaz mentioned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 27th, 2008, 10:08 pm 
Post Master

I'm going to buy a region free DVD player. I plan on buying some stuff from the UK, namely Innocence and Tales From Earthsea. I might also buy the Japanese DVD of Brave Story (if I like it, haven't seen yet).

Anyone know what an £ is in North American currency?

Last edited by Mmsven on January 27th, 2008, 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 27th, 2008, 10:35 pm 
Resident Admin

1 dollar is equal to .51 Pound Sterling or British Pound if you will. Or if you would rather, 1 Pound Sterling is equal to 1.98 dollars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2008, 7:29 pm 
Resident Scholar

Mmsven wrote:
Anyone know what an £ is in North American currency?

Check the Currency Converter, updated daily.

If there's no other way I can go to a supermarket, buy a region-free DVD player for 50 E (ca. 75 CAD) and send it to you. But I don't know about Canadian electricity standards, we use 230 V in Central Europe and our plugs look like this. You might need a transformer and an adapter for the plug.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 1st, 2008, 12:13 am 
Post Master

42317 wrote:
If there's no other way I can go to a supermarket, buy a region-free DVD player for 50 E (ca. 75 CAD) and send it to you. But I don't know about Canadian electricity standards, we use 230 V in Central Europe and our plugs look like this. You might need a transformer and an adapter for the plug.

No that plug definitely won't work. J-List has NA region-free dvd players right? I could try and get one from there. I don't think normal stores hold them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 1st, 2008, 2:29 am 
Major Contributor

Mmsven wrote:
42317 wrote:

No that plug definitely won't work. J-List has NA region-free dvd players right? I could try and get one from there. I don't think normal stores hold them.

Two, and both within 100 USD before shipping.

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 1st, 2008, 12:34 pm 
Resident Scholar

shgarland wrote:
within 100 USD before shipping.

I find it almost amazing that in the US people are having problems finding code-free DVD-players.
Besides I would never spend more than 50 E (about 75 USD) on a player here. It seems that the Euro currency, cursed by so many people as a price-raiser, does some considerable good when it comes to prices (as long as corporations don't interfere).