Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 20th, 2017, 8:09 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2008, 9:51 pm 
Regular

I watch lots of series on youtube. You can't get sued for watching it, quality isn't too bad (nowhere near dvd, but black lagoon still looks pretty good. Also it does'nt take up too much space on your computer.

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 27th, 2008, 11:52 am 
Resident Scholar

spazmaster666 wrote:
but then there's people like me who like to keep everything I download.

Sounds like my granny. You know, war generation. Throws almost nothing away, you see, bad times might be comin' up.
Not quite my thing, especially when it comes to downloaded material. If I know I'm not gonna watch it again, why waste disc space?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 27th, 2008, 8:40 pm 
Regular

42317 wrote:
If I know I'm not gonna watch it again, why waste disc space?

Some of us are just natural hoarders. We like to amass a collection, regardless of whether or not we'll ever watch them again. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 27th, 2008, 8:54 pm 
Post Master

I don't see the point. For official products, I sell them if they suck. For downloaded stuff, I just delete them if they suck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 27th, 2008, 10:41 pm 
Regular

Quote:
Millions of people are more interested in watching low-quality videos on Youtube than any other delivery form at this point.

Those people would never buy anime even if a boxed set cost $1 ... I guess they prove why there MUST be some legal action towards illegal materials as well. YouTube does not "allow" such content but it's so much for their weak moderation to filter.

I guess people who watch stuff from YT just want to watch the anime, see what is going on, they don't care about quality, perhaps they never cared. Seriously, why should a Naruto/One Piece/Bleach fan care about quality anyway? (I don't feel guilty on making comments like these BTW) people who DO watch other animes might get it it's cool to have such titles in HD, but people who follow up only the mainstream blockbusters like the mentioned ones probably don't care.

Cab329 wrote:
quality isn't too bad

Sorry, but I cannot accept that, you are probably visually impaired or something, 20k/s (160kbps) 320x200 video cannot have anywhere the quality of ... say ... an old VHS (640x400 with probably a better image) and cannot possibly be considered even a video. Anyone who watches a DVD anime would never possibly think of saying such a thing, let alone if you see HDTV 1024p. There's GOT to be a good reason to allow oneself to watch such crappy encodes, and that certainly includes lack of interest in visual quality, not "thinking it's good enough". You watch it for other reasons, I bet. If you could have the quality ones, you would (unless, again, you care so little about quality you really think YT is ok).

42317 wrote:
If I know I'm not gonna watch it again, why waste disc space?

I can give you a number of reasons why something that was not really high in your rate could/should get stored:

1. Your opinions might change with time. I know a couple of anime which I hated after I watched (2 I deleted), but shortly after I realised they were re-watchable.

2. Storing also often comes with the meaning to allow friends/family to watch it later, thus, what you think is rated 0/10 might be watchable by some you might lend it.

3. Some collectors want to have hipped or uniqe titles, regardless if they are 0/10 on their opinion.

I did delete some anime which I was unable to even finish the first time, or tied myself in front of the monitor to watch just for the sake of saying I did, but I would never watch it again (and it would be impossible to change THAT much my opinion) and I would never feel ok to let anyone I like to suffer like I did - thus, no borrowing = no reason to keep it at all.

Anime Industry must keep all that in mind:

1. A fairly significative amound of people don't care for quality as long as they have it FAST, and better yet, HAVE IT;

2. A fairly significative amound of people don't care HOW they get it, like in phisical media or downloaded content, and thus, regardless of pricing, the downloaded content, if possible, is easiest to some (like me, because of the taxes. If I could buy online and download it, there would be no way to tax me);

3. The Digital age is there, trying to struggle with old ideals and old media to keep the industry alive is the same as a K7-Tape or LP industry trying to fight people "who buy CD's" ... or trying to keep CD's alive in the face of mp3 downloads. For some reason, the industry lacks adaptability, they say technology and the digital age came to spoil their goods, but do nothing to adapt, only whinning and try to improve their OLD approaches instead of getting new - it's pittiful. I laugh at comments like "the industry plans to release titles faster, with more extras and a exquisite box set" ... this is old thinking, it will NOT get them to sell more stuff - alas, sales don't stop dropping.

If I could buy anime online and dowload it, there would be 3 expenses cut: taxes, shipping and physical costs (which are low but regardless ...). An anime in Amazon for U$40 which costs me about U$50 (shipping + handling) and than get the cost doubled by taxes, could be sold by, say, U$30 for online download, after all, you are paying for the download so they have to give a discount bigger than the media costs. For U$30 a series, I think ALL MY COLLECTION WOULD BE LICENSED - this example I gave is very feasable, and it's almost 4 times cheaper to me, and have no serious impact on the studio, the price cuts were made in between.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2008, 12:04 am 
Regular

I don't mind having my opinion shot down, but I don't care for insults.

Incidentally, we have been off topic for quite a while.

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 28th, 2008, 7:18 pm 
Resident Scholar

Since we're realy drifting against the "no OT" rule, I'll make this my last comment about this in this thread:

Caiobrz wrote:
Your opinions might change with time. I know a couple of anime which I hated after I watched (2 I deleted), but shortly after I realised they were re-watchable.

As I mentioned before I am the president of the local Anime Club. If I change my mind about an Anime (an occasion which I cannot remember having encountered these last 16 years) I can easily regain it by borrowing it from a fellow club member - because we have hoarders, too, who keep anything they got for free.
Strange enough, on the other hand, selling stuff that cost money is completely okay. Only the downloads remain in the "eternal" archive, getting burned and neatly decorated with a cover and all, then collecting dust.
I have a hard time understanding this mentality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 8:15 am 
Regular

Quote:
I don't mind having my opinion shot down, but I don't care for insults.

They were aimed for people who ONLY (keyword) watch stuff at YT and praise it, sorry if it appeared to be aimed at you, though I confess it was a little rude, sorry.

Quote:
Since we're realy drifting against the "no OT" rule, I'll make this my last comment about this in this thread

More OT: I seriouslly don't see why a small forum like animetric should worry too much about that. Also, we are talking about "bad anime" and how to deal with it, and this thread IS about bad anime, not OT IMHO.

Quote:
Only the downloads remain in the "eternal" archive, getting burned and neatly decorated with a cover and all, then collecting dust.
I have a hard time understanding this mentality.

I have already rewatched some, and my wife has less time to watch than I have so I keep it for her to watch on her vacation. Plus I lend my stuff to people who don't have broadband internet access or let alone money to buy anime. Also, if I like something, I like to know that by the time I WANT to watch it again, I can open my closet and get it, rather than search for someone who has it. P.s: I never decorated my downloads =p

In 10~20 years I will be able to watch again everything I like (and forgot, so I can enjoy the thrill of surprises again. Some people I know forget a plot in 5 years time, they are lucky xD I need at least 10~20. I still remember all plot twists from the first anime I watched 6 yeas ago, so little point on rewatching except cute/comedy titles).

You are lucky you are part of a group and have easy access to people with stored anime. Me? I'm the ONLY person I know (RL) who have them, so from whom could I borrow something I want to rewatch? and old stuff is not easy to find on the net.

Out of curiosity, makes sense to have an aging dusty collection now? =p

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 3:40 pm 
Regular

It's allright :D

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 29th, 2008, 7:01 pm 
Resident Scholar

Caiobrz wrote:
Some people I know forget a plot in 5 years time, they are lucky xD I need at least 10~20.

Nice time frame Mr. 29yo... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2008, 10:21 am 
Regular

Quote:
Nice time frame Mr. 29yo... Laughing

I also remember vividly movies I watched when I was young, and I have no doubt it will still take some time to forget. You don't like to give things too much second thought do you? just because Im 29 does not mean I cannot understand and appreciate tendencies and time. If that was true, people could not study history at all right?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 30th, 2008, 8:32 pm 
Major Contributor

Mmsven wrote:
Digital distribution sucks IMO. I would rather get a dvd for the juicy extras and stuff.

I'd rather do it this way too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 31st, 2008, 5:36 am 
Major Contributor

shgarland wrote:
Mmsven wrote:
Digital distribution sucks IMO. I would rather get a dvd for the juicy extras and stuff.

Yeah but DVD extras on Anime DVDs have traditionally, well sucked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 31st, 2008, 11:16 am 
Resident Scholar

Caiobrz wrote:
Quote:
Nice time frame Mr. 29yo... Laughing

You don't like to give things too much second thought do you? just because Im 29 does not mean I cannot understand and appreciate tendencies and time. If that was true, people could not study history at all right?

I'm not saying you're dumb or anything. I'm just of the opinion that being 29 is not enough to speak of habits that take 20 years. You might say that what you saw 20 years ago is still pretty lively in your mind, okay, no problem. But once you're 49 things might look very different from what you perceived today. Let's talk again in 20 years to check whether the phenomenon which you described is still true. My guess is that at 49 you'll remember things more vividly from the time when you were 19 then from when you were 29. At least that's my experience with people being 50+. 20 is the felt middle of your life. The following 60 years will seem as long as the first 20, since time seems to fly by you faster and faster - if you're not a really sensitive and sensible kind of person.

And, uh, I really don't like second thoughts about entertainment stuff. I have many things in my mind keeping me busy. There's something new every now and then. My interests are many, but only a few last. I do like history, the majority of my book collection has historical topics, but, you see, whether I might like this or that Anime, if not today, then maybe some day in the future... that question is so terribly trivial... If I miss and forget something like that what do I care? There's so many forms of entertainment, what does it matter if I miss a handful of Anime?

Drats. This conversation does not fit into any of the given categories. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: February 2nd, 2008, 1:45 am 
Major Contributor

spazmaster666 wrote:
shgarland wrote:
Mmsven wrote:

Yeah but DVD extras on Anime DVDs have traditionally, well sucked.

True. I'd just rather buy DVDs than to download (legally or not). Not sorry I got the current season of NCIS from iTunes, and I could decide to get one of the anime series Funimation has there, I'd just rather have the physical DVD.