Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Digital Distribution, DVDs, and others
PostPosted: January 25th, 2008, 5:57 am 
Major Contributor

Well actually DVD sales are low nowadays in general. One of the reasons is digital distribution. Actually I would say that DVD sales in the movie market have probably decreased more than in the anime market since nowadays digital distribution is a greater competitor to the sale of live action DVDs than fan-subbing is to the sale of anime DVDs.

Mod edit: I've created a new thread since much of the discussion had nothing to do with the other thread. Yeah the title isn't great but this way we can continue the discussion without going off-topic from the awards thread.

Last edited by spazmaster666 on January 30th, 2008, 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2008, 6:01 am 
Post Master

What do you mean by digital distribution? People downloading stuff for free? or is there a selling method companies use?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2008, 7:09 am 
Regular

That would be illegal downloading, yes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2008, 9:02 am 
Resident Scholar

There are forms of legal downloading as well. I know Japanese and German online stores. You pay a few bucks and you may either download the product, or you pay fewer bucks and you are allowed to watch it as an online stream for a given period of time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2008, 7:47 pm 
Major Contributor

Mmsven wrote:
What do you mean by digital distribution? People downloading stuff for free? or is there a selling method companies use?

No I mean stuff like iTunes, Xbox Live Marketplace, and various other forms of legal digital distribution of movies. Digital Distribution is also a big reason why the whole HDDVD/Bluray thing has not been taking off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2008, 8:00 pm 
Post Master

spazmaster666 wrote:
No I mean stuff like iTunes, Xbox Live Marketplace, and various other forms of legal digital distribution of movies. Digital Distribution is also a big reason why the whole HDDVD/Bluray thing has not been taking off.

People are getting so lazy that they can't go to the store and buy a dvd?

Digital distribution sucks IMO. I would rather get a dvd for the juicy extras and stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2008, 11:11 pm 
Regular

Quote:
Digital distribution sucks IMO. I would rather get a dvd for the juicy extras and stuff.

Not going to defend illegal stuff but good fansubs come up with a lot of better stuff than DVD, and in HDTV which is a lot better resolution than DVD can handle. Better subs, they offer the OST, scans, specials ... all one click away. I can easilly see why people who know how to download such stuff would do it. Even I have fansub versions of everything I own since the quality is a lot better.

For instance, you can't buy a DVD with 1050p.

Anime Industry (or rather, video industry) must get digital, and by that I do mean digital distribution, ASAP, or they will face the same or more hardships that music industry faced up til now. Only in 2007 as I now it music industry had increase in sales after lots of years, and that thanks for them catching up with digital distribution.

Quote:
After two years of moderate declines, Virgin's same-store music sales rose 5 percent last year compared with 2006, while overall sales jumped 15 percent. CDs now represent only 40 percent of overall sales, said Kevin Milligan, Virgin's vice president of product and merchandising

Full story: http://edition.cnn.com/2008/TECH/biztec ... index.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 25th, 2008, 11:41 pm 
Post Master

Quote:
Not going to defend illegal stuff but good fansubs come up with a lot of better stuff than DVD, and in HDTV which is a lot better resolution than DVD can handle.

Lots of anime in Japan has been released in Bluray, just not so much in North America.

Quote:
Better subs

I usually watch my anime dubbed so its not such a big problem for me.

Quote:
they offer the OST, scans, specials ... all one click away.

Yeah, thats the whole idea, you can get whatever you want. It will only destroy the companies that make the product you love.

Ones of the reasons I buy shit is because I'm a collector (and because I like to support the industry), and I want everything. For instance, online play for a game you otherwise wouldn't be able to access by downloading. Or extras on a dvd. But music has nothing, I admit to downloading all my music.

Quote:
For instance, you can't buy a DVD with 1050p.

HDDVD and Bluray are both able to have 1080p. I have a feeling one of those is going to become a standard at some point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2008, 1:03 am 
Major Contributor

The only thing I have against Digital Distribution at this point is that broadband connections just aren't there yet and neither is storage capacity. Once both of those issues are fixed, digital distribution is definitely going to be very convenient. I mean if we can stream in HD video in real-time, then even HDDVD and Bluray will find it hard to compete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2008, 5:15 am 
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, thats the whole idea, you can get whatever you want. It will only destroy the companies that make the product you love.

Ones of the reasons I buy shit is because I'm a collector (and because I like to support the industry), and I want everything.

You don't need to get all arrogant and mighty, I also buy my anime and if it weren't for Brazilian taxed I probably would have several times the amound of anime I have, and I also planned with my wife a big (U$ 1.000) purchase soon (though that includes the taxes). As I mentioned I was only explaining why it's easier, faster and better to get digital content nowadays, and thus why it's affecting industry. All they need to do is to offer the same content as fansubs, in probably the same way - no need to change pricing or contents, just go with the flow ... but they don't, so they starve.

Quote:
The only thing I have against Digital Distribution at this point is that broadband connections just aren't there yet and neither is storage capacity.

Sure, but leechers who are interested in downloading their stuff to watch and delete, which are the majority who download illegal stuff, are not affected by that, and since they think "it's free so everything goes", they accept slow downloads. Storage capacity is also seldom a problem, lots just watch and delete, and others have billions of DVD (like me =p).

Either the industry move, or they will die. Music industry almost got killed because of their slow response for the digital world, and now it seams it's time for the video industry as well, and I expect a SLOWER response. That letter from Arthur Smith from GDH's only proves that: they are all worried about releasing faster, licensing faster and all that OLD OLD OLD stuff for trying to get customers instead of focusing on digital.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2008, 5:38 am 
Post Master

Caiobrz, you have a more valid reason then most people, to not buy anime. I don't blame you.

One thing though, why is the taxes on South America so drastic? It's not like you live THAT far away.

I think about 50% of the people who download illegally won't stop no matter what happens to the industry, or how they distribute their products. They just don't care and want everything free. These are the type of people I do blame.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2008, 11:04 am 
Resident Scholar

Well, he said it was due to some sorta government mess-up.
Maybe they want to protect Brazil's cultural integrity by locking out such foreign influences?

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2008, 1:33 pm 
Regular

Just bad government, Brazil is the #1 in the list of countries with biggest taxes. There is a 60% import tax for EVERYTHING (this, anime included), than a 15% import tax for my province which goes on top of that, and all those taxes are on top of shipping too. If I lived near a border, I would make friends with some Argentinian or Peruvian whatever and ask them to import than get with them T_T

Reason for the taxes is just to get money, that's all, no bigger important context like protecting (what? there are not even movie industry here) cultural influences ... mind you, the government stimulates US and Japan cultural flood anyway.

If I ever do any trip to US, I'm going to buy lots of anime, we are allowed U$500 purchase without taxes if we are on a trip xD~

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2008, 8:57 pm 
Major Contributor

Caiobrz wrote:
Sure, but leechers who are interested in downloading their stuff to watch and delete, which are the majority who download illegal stuff, are not affected by that, and since they think "it's free so everything goes", they accept slow downloads. Storage capacity is also seldom a problem, lots just watch and delete, and others have billions of DVD (like me =p).

Yeah, but then there's people like me who like to keep everything I download. And I'd rather not have to get something like this:

Spoiler
A 14 TB array in RAID6:
16 Western Digital 1TB Hard drives:

Interestingly, the video industry has been moving in a vastly different direction than the HD marketers want. Millions of people are more interested in watching low-quality videos on Youtube than any other delivery form at this point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 26th, 2008, 9:07 pm 
Post Master

EWW... youtube. I don't see why anyone would want to watch a film or series on that.