Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 20th, 2017, 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Golden Raspberry 2007 Awards anime version
PostPosted: January 21st, 2008, 6:39 am 

Location: A country which most people doesn't want to know about...
Note to moderators: Since I cannot give any dubious honors in "Best Anime of 2007 Awards" thread. If this thread is against the forum rules, please delete it and send a PM to me.

To be honest, most content you about to see in this thread are taken from hundreds of other anime blogs and forums. Pardon me for lacking of originality but I do have honest opinions for each "winners" in this entry. I also want to warn you that this entry is filled with negative contents. If you dislike it, please press the "back" button. Maybe I should renamed this entry as "Dubious Honors of 2007". That sounds interesting. Since all the nominees are taken from various blogs and forums, even some of my favorite shows were listed here. So I try to be optimistic as possible. Let's begin with the first category...

* = ongoing series

Most Despicable Use of In-series Advertising

1. Lucky Star (Spring 2007)

2. Darker Than BLACK (Spring 2007)

3. Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (Autumn 2006)

And the winner is...

Actually I lied about the release date. It was premiered in autumn 2006 but since 3/4 of its episodes shown in 2007, I count this one too. I already talked about blatant product placement a while ago but I never mentioned Code Geass because it was too obvious. The product placement went too far than just being billboards and posters. According to the rumor which I heard, Pizza Hut even paid the director and producer to make pizza from Pizza Hut as a main character's favorite food, that is CC. The world is going to the end and Pizza Hut still selling pizzas? What the point of all this? And what's next for 2008? Ronald McDonalds makes a guest appearence in second season of Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu?

Worst Trend

1. Lousy Cliffhanger Ending from Claymore(Summer 2007)

2. Lousy Parody of Dance Sequence from Lucky Star(Spring 2007)

3. "Nice Boat" from School Days(Summer 2007)

4. Unwanted Yaoi/yuri Undertones from *Dragonaut -The Resonance-(Autumn 2007)

And the winner is...

"Nice Boat" from School Days easily walked away with this "award". Why? It just a cheap controversy which makes a sort of gimmick to attract viewers. It was hyped as the most 'epic' ending in the anime history. So what does it means? Simple. It was a girl who cut a boy's head then sail away to the sunset hugging the severed boy's head and hope that she will be together forever with that head. I dunno how long she can stay with that head, maybe until that head too smelly for her and covered with maggots. How such simple idea that can attract lots of viewers, I don't know. But I'm sure I can create my own. Let's say a girl sleep as many boys as she can. Met her retarded boyfriend and killed by him. The psychotic boyfriend cut her head off afterwards. Her psychotic boyfriend then drive away to the sunset with her head and telling her that he will stay forever with her head. Then you got "Nice Car" ending. Yes, it was THAT simple even I can make a parody out of it. What's next for 2008 anime? Is it a Nice Car? Nice Plane? Nice Truck? Nice Ship? Or even Nice Mansion? Only God knows...

Flat-out Worst anime

1. Zero no Tsukaima ~ Futatsuki no Kishi ~(Summer 2007)

2. Shuffle Memories(Winter 2006/2007)

3. Venus Versus Virus(Winter 2006/2007)

4. *Naruto Shippuden(Spring 2007)

And the winner is...

No doubt about Shuffle Memories. A recap of the first series is nothing more than just milking the series from all the otakus out there. And something like this just ruins one of the best eroge to anime series of 2006.

Worst Anime Everybody Watched

1. *Naruto Shippuden(Spring 2007)

2. School Days(Summer 2007)

3. Lucky Star(Spring 2007)

4. *Mobile Suit Gundam 00(Autumn 2007)

5. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai(Summer 2007)

And the winner is...

School Days got yet another "award" for being the most viewed bad show. I mean fantastically bad. I bet most people who watched School Days are just want to see the "Nice Boat" hype than everything else in that anime. Thanks for making cheap controversies to attract viewers. Maybe I should renamed all things happened as "Nice Controversies Briging Youths To Watch This Silly Show". Pardon me if I offended anyone else.

Best Anime Nobody Watched

1. Moyashimon(Autumn 2007)

2. Blue Drop ~Tenshi-tachi no Gikyoku~(Autumn 2007)

3. Baccano!(Summer 2007)

4. Mononoke(Summer 2007)

And the winner is...

Baccano! is possibly the most underrated and underhyped show in 2007 perhaps in anime history itself. While the critics can't stop talking about how good it is but still remain unknown to most anime/manga communities. Maybe the reason of lack of attention is bad release date because it has to compete with Higurashi no Naku ni Kai and School Days.

There you go. This just based on my personal opinions and opinions are NOT facts. If I missed something there or you disagree with me, you are free to post comments. You can post your own "awards" too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2008, 7:03 am 
Post Master

No one watched Mononoke? thats a damn shame. I would buy it, if released in R1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2008, 7:26 am 

DtB had in series advertising? I probably wasn't paying much attention then....

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 21st, 2008, 1:52 pm 
Resident Scholar

Nice list Amex, good effort.
I cannot say much about it since the only show on your list that I have actually seen is "Lucky Star", and from that I only three episodes. So far I liked it, though. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2008, 6:00 pm 
Regular

The funny thing about "worst" lists it that as much as one try, you can see all the bias, and pardon me, "Worst" as Zero no Tsukaima, Lucky Star, VVV and Higurashi? that's like a list done by someone who watched only 10 titles in the year, I can come up with at least a dozen really bad titles on 2007. Just for starters, Zombie Loan was hell worst than VVV, Code-E certianly has a worst ending and cliffhanger than Claymore, Shining Tears X wind should definetelly be on some worst list as I don't know a living soul who really remotely enjoyed that (I don't know much who went past the first episode BTW). And I did skip lots of titles based on negative reviews/opinions, some from animetric, which I'm sure are worse than the ones I watched and quoted, and as much as I like it (as well most people who watched it to the end), Touka Gettan is so much hated for being confusing that I was actually expecting it to be on the list oO

Quote:
I cannot say much about it since the only show on your list that I have actually seen is "Lucky Star", and from that I only three episodes. So far I liked it, though. Very Happy

Yeap, Lucky star not being good is news to me, first time I heard of that :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2008, 6:24 pm 
Major Contributor

The other problem with these lists is that the really bad anime tend to be avoided. The reason why I'm not going to post a list is because I don't waste my time watching bad anime. (unless it's so bad that it's actually good) Mediocre stuff I'll check out for curiosity's sake, but the bad stuff I stay away from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2008, 6:30 pm 
Regular

Quote:
The other problem with these lists is that the really bad anime tend to be avoided.

Yeap, that's why I mentioned "And I did skip lots of titles based on negative reviews/opinions, some from animetric, which I'm sure are worse than the ones I watched and quoted"

Unfortunatelly 2007 was a bad year for me, I think I wasted too LITTLE tile reading reviews and asking people aroung because I did watch too much stuff that after I ended, I went to read about it and it was clear a NO T_T

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2008, 6:43 pm 
Resident Scholar

spazmaster666 wrote:
I don't waste my time watching bad anime

How do I know whether something is bad before I watched it?
I mean, taste is all individual, so I'm trying not to be affected by other people's bad impressions, and therefore I have to watch myself instead of relying on hearsay and reviews.
Am I wrong? :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2008, 6:54 pm 
Regular

Quote:

Ever noticed an "Anime advice" thread on this forum?

Than you add online reviews and your own judgement from what people say, and you can tell a lot. I would say 75% of anime advices get me convinced to watch/avoid a title, the remaining 25% are like "not enough info, still don't know it I would like ... guess it's time to take chances" (more often than not, it's bad LOL)

I mean, if you read all RO's reviews on animetric, you KNOW her style right? so you can pretty much know if you will like something based on her reviews regardless if she liked or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2008, 7:30 pm 
Resident Scholar

Caiobrz wrote:
you can pretty much know if you will like something based on her reviews regardless if she liked or not.

Only if I have a limited spectrum of genres that I am willing or able to enjoy. In that case you can read about the plot and make a decision, but I'm trying to be open for anything. And I remember liking something that she rejected... hm, can't remember what it was.

Hey, I watched "Boku no Sekuhara" and enjoyed it (in a humorous kinda way), and I survived seeing "Ai no Kusabi" and didn't find it bad at all. Of course, if I say "Yaoi is not an option" I will not consider such titles after a review, but in general I am willing to watch anything recommended to me AND the stuff that people say was bad. Despite I'm being disappointed often enough, like lately with "Zettai Shônen", "Hachimitsu to Clover" and "Higurashi no naku koro ni", about which many people said they were oh sooooo good...

I watched the Yaoi Anime because I helped a bunch of female friends with a forum convention with "Bishônen" topic, and being there for free already, why not watch some of the shows?
Who hasn't met a jerk who keeps sneering "Anime of this and that kind is stupid and should be burned!" and being asked about details he can't name a single title... because he hasn't seen any and relies on hearsay... I don't wanna be such a jerk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2008, 9:46 pm 
Regular

I don't watch too many recent shows (I don't like to download, and this is the only site I even go to for anime discussion), so I can't really comment. However, I would like to nominate Zombie Loan for worst opening (maybe worst soundtrack/presentation).

Though it pains me (since I spent hours watching the entire show (plus a couple specials). I have to admit that Higurashi fell on its face. Some editing (like a subtraction of one or two arcs and a few unnecessary scene repeats), and a script rewrite really would have helped it out.

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 22nd, 2008, 10:26 pm 
Regular

Quote:
Only if I have a limited spectrum of genres that I am willing or able to enjoy. In that case you can read about the plot and make a decision, but I'm trying to be open for anything. And I remember liking something that she rejected... hm, can't remember what it was.

Not at all, the genre, plot or whatever an anime is about is absolutelly irrelevant if the reviewer can ... write. The point is that knowing the person (a.k.a. read enough reviews from said person you will know) and as long the review is descritive and well written, you will know if you will like. Here, an example:

"Characters are somewhat shallow and the anime does not use much screentime, leaving most of the time for action and the plot development"

So, if you like character development, this is a hint this might not be for you. If you don't care much for the characters as long as there is a good action going on, this is a hint there is something for you. The key here is, If you know the reviewer and watched some titles in common, you will know "how much" of a character development is ok/shallwo for the reviewer and thus even know how much character development to expect from that review.

One can write a review without ever mentioning what the anime is about, and still make a good reader get it if will like or not.

I even have a friend who, whatever title he says he loves, I know I will hate. Never failed me =p

If you think critically, you can get the critics ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2008, 1:37 am 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
I mean, taste is all individual, so I'm trying not to be affected by other people's bad impressions, and therefore I have to watch myself instead of relying on hearsay and reviews.
Am I wrong? :?:

Well I keep up with several anime blogs on a regular basis, including a few by people who have very similar tastes compared to myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2008, 5:21 pm 
Resident Scholar

Caiobrz wrote:
So, if you like character development, this is a hint this might not be for you.

I may seem ignorant but I have never even thought about such details. I watch a show and afterwards I know whether I liked it or not, and then I'll think about why I liked it. I'm not sitting down on the couch with a clear-cut concept of what I like and what I don't.
(The only thing that would jump my mind now is "an overdose of panty-shots and such", but the show can still be saved by other factors.)

spazmaster666 wrote:
Well I keep up with several anime blogs on a regular basis

Hm, not a bad idea, basically. I have bookmarked two or three such blogs, but I find it utterly boring to read them because, well, I'm not that interested in actively searching after all. I don't care, really. If you told me it was a good idea to watch "Moyashimon" I'll probably watch two or three episodes to see what it's like, and if I like it I'll watch the whole thing, but all I'll do before is maybe read a plot summary on ANN or so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 23rd, 2008, 7:22 pm 
Regular

Quote:
I may seem ignorant but I have never even thought about such details. I watch a show and afterwards I know whether I liked it or not, and then I'll think about why I liked it

It just seams you have too much free time so you don't want to be selective on what you watch. Some of us hate wasting our time. Did you seriously never thought on the meaning of a review?