Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 18th, 2017, 5:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best Anime of 2007
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2008, 2:34 am 
Major Contributor

I know that some of you don't keep up with the latest anime but those who do what are you picks for best anime of the year.

Anyway, here we go:

Best Action: Gurren Lagann
This could have been a tough choice. 2007 was not a exactly a year filled with top of the line action anime but there were definitely some great standouts. But Gurren Lagann definitely rose above them all. It's action-packed from start to finish with some of the most ridiculously over the top and outrageous action sequences I've seen yet, not to mention a ridiculously awesome end battle.
Runner up: Darker than BLACK, Code Geass

Best Romance: Kanon
Okay so I wasn't very impressed with Kanon overall. This is not to say it's not a great series but I thought KyoAni had better things to do. Still for a romantic anime, Kanon was superb. No other anime of the year tugged at the heart strings so well or had so many touching moments.
Runner up: Romeo X Juliet

Best Comedy: Minami-Ke
This may come as a surprise for any Lucky Star fans out there but while Lucky Star is definitely funny, it's not as laugh out loud hilarious as Minami-Ke. Of course comedy is a very subjective field but while Lucky Star certainly had some of the smartest comedy around it may not appeal to those who do not have an extensive knowledge or exposure to anime/otaku culture. Wheras Minami-Ke will probably be funny for even the casual anime fans.
Runner up: Lucky Star

Best Drama/Other Genre: Dennou Coil
Not a great year for dramas but Dennou Coil stands out as the best anime that isn't really a part of any of the other genres. A mixture of sci-fi, drama and mystery, it's difficult to describe exactly what makes the series so good other than the immersive atmosphere and interesting characters who we see grow as the series progresses.
Runner up: Toward the Terra, Death Note, Nodame Cantabile

Best Animation: Byousoku 5 Centimeters
Without a doubt the best animation I've seen in years. Okay so it's not fair to compare a feature film with television series when talking about animation quality but Byousoku 5 Centimeters is just so technically and artistically impressive that it definitely deserved this award. The falling of the cherry blossoms alone was absolutely gorgeous.
Runner up: Darker than BLACK, Gurren Lagann, Kanon

Best Music: Gurren Lagann
This was a tough choice. There was definitely some great sound tracks this year but Gurren Lagann impressed me with the way the music truly made scenes better whether to make an action sequence more exhilarating or a tragic moment more devastating.
Runner up: Manabi Straight, Nodame Cantabile

Biggest Surprise: School Days
I won't ruin the surprise for any of you but the ending of School Days is probably one of the most shocking ending of any anime to date. We all expected something like it to happen, but I never expected it to go as far as it did.
Runner up: Gurren Lagann, Code Geass

Most Unexpectedly Good Anime: Gurren Lagann
This was totally unexpected (Gainax + Mecha, 'nuff said). Far more hype was given to the likes of Darker than Black or Lucky Star but before Gurren Lagann started airing I had barely heard about it, and from what I heard I wasn't really all that interested. Who would have known that it would go on to be such an incredible series that really has raised the bar for action anime in the future.
Runner up: Dennou Coil, Oh! Edo Rocket

Best Studio: Kyoto Animation (Kanon, Lucky Star, CLANNAD)
2007 was definitely a big year for KyoAni. Kanon finished up in Spring, followed by Lucky Star in the summer and then CLANNAD in the fall. All three were excellent series that were deserving of phrase for different reasons.
Runner up: Madhouse (Oh! Edo Rocket, Dennou Coil, Claymore)

Best DVD Release: Death Note Volume 1-2
The Death Note North American DVD release is fantastic with superb voice acting and an excellent transfer.
Runner up: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Volume 1-4

Best Anime of the Year: Code Geass
Runner up(s): Toward the Terra, Dennou Coil, Gurren Lagann

That's right Code Geass is my pick for the best anime of 2007. Again this was a very tough decision. 2007 was a great year for anime. Dennou Coil and Toward the Terra both set new bars in their respective genres. Gurren Lagann surprised us with some of the most incredible action sequences ever and Oh! Edo Rocket came out of left field swinging hard. But it was Code Geass with it's superb character development, engaging storyline and excellent action set pieces that gave it the edge over the others. Also no anime of the year had me waiting with so much anticipation to watch the next episode as Code Geass, which is no small feat.

So those are my choices, what are your thoughts?

Last edited by spazmaster666 on January 3rd, 2008, 2:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2008, 2:58 am 
Post Master

Kanon came out in 2006. I can't make one of these myself because I haven't watched many 2007 animes. Barely any 2007 animes have had any DVD releases yet, we are only just getting stuff from 2006.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2008, 3:02 am 
Major Contributor

Mmsven wrote:
Kanon came out in 2006. I can't make one of these myself because I haven't watched many 2007 animes. Barely any 2007 animes have had any DVD releases yet, we are only just getting stuff from 2006.

Kanon aired until March 2007 so I considered it eligible for best anime of 2007. Besides, it's difficult to choose great anime if you only consider series that were completely aired in 2007 since many series start in the fall and finish in the spring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2008, 12:42 pm 
Regular

[s]spaz your bbcode for best of the year is buggy =p[/s]

Best Action: Baccano
Action (at least mindless) is not my style, so I look for something more, and Baccano offered plenty of "mores". It's a little violent but it is necessary for the plot. I would put Darker Than Black as a good action/drama too.

Best Romance: EF ~ tales of memories ~
Before I watched EF it was a hard choice between Zero no Tsukaima and Emma 2nd, but I must say EF was too good, so good I fell embarassed even putting these others as runner ups. Big thumbs up for EF, with added quality from character designer Nanao Naru.

Best Comedy: Seto no Hanayome
Hands down, one of the best comedies ever, but slapstick (some might not like it)

Best Drama: Dennou Coil
I would go as far as say this is the best drama in several years. I would also mention Byousoku 5 Centimeters and Sola as good runner ups for this year though. Terra He was a little too much of drama and a little rushed, it's worth mentioning but it was not even a runner up to me.

Best Animation: Byousoku 5 Centimeters
Anything Makoto Shinkai is a "Best Animation", you can't have another unless ... there is no Makoto Shinkai that year =p

Best Music: Byousoku 5 Centimeters
Both soundtrack and main song are amazing. Honorable mention to Manabi Straight and Nodame Cantabile though.

Best Cute/Make you feel good: Manabi Straight
Cute things have to be cute, warming and funny, with no annoying characters. Manabi Straight is just that. I did not watch Lucky Star though, so I can't compare for now. Hidamari Sketch was too much of an animated manga so I didn't like it much

Best Fantasy: Seirei no Moribito
This was a weak year for fantasy titles, specially considering how they spoiled Claymore (if I remove the last arch, it would stand here as the best fantasy), but Seirei no Moribito can surelly compensate for that. Solid characters, plot, and superb animation (GITS style)

Biggest Surprise: Nodame Cantabile
I was not really expecting much from Nodame, but it was good, alas too good. One of the very few anime my father actually watched (and loved). It's not memorable in any way, but it was the biggest surprise for this year. Another good surprise was Baccano and Touka Gettan (this because of all the bad criticism ... so it was a surprise)

Best Studio: Kyoto Animation
If there are no Makoto Shinkai animes around, this is the best Studio. I don't like the idea of thinking of Makoto Shinkai (or CoMix) as a studio since it's more like a "one man prowess" so KyoAni gets it.

Best Anime of the Year: Byousoku 5 Centimeters
Very little doubt on this one. Runner up would be EF

Titles I watched this year (not gonna comment if they are good, but if they are not even runner ups above, you got it):
Code-E, Bokurano, Venus versus Virus, Sola, Manabi Straight, Byousoku 5cm, Nodame Cantabile, Shining Tears X wind, Code Geass, Sky Girls (OVA/TV), Zombie Loan, Kaze no Stigma, Claymore, Zero no Tsukaima 2, Seirei no Moribito, Darker Than Black, Mai Otome Zwei, El Cazador de la Bruja, Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora, Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann, Baccano, Touka Gettan, Dennou Coil, Emma 2, Gedo Senki, Hidamari Sketch, Terra He, EF ~ tales of memories ~

edit - I edited the list after watching EF, it beat others in romance. / Added Sky Girls TV on watched list

Last edited by Caiobrz on January 10th, 2008, 11:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2008, 5:55 pm 

Location: A country which most people doesn't want to know about...
My best and worst of 2007 awards

Picks:
Clannad
Blue Drop
Minami-ke
Hidamari Sketch
Lucky Star

Avoid:
Nodame Cantabille

Disappointing:
Umisho

Utterly Trainwreck:
School Days

Most Overrated:
Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Most Underrated:
Blue Drop

Worst Trend:
"Nice Boat" from School Days

Most Despicable in-series Advertising:
Darker Than Black (Pizza Hut posters and billboards)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2008, 6:05 pm 
Resident Scholar

I found "Dennô Coil" sooo damn boring... and it is one of the rare cases when the graphical appearance repelled me. Usually I don't care as long as it suits the general mood or if the other elements are to my liking.

But it's good to hear that "Seto no Hanayome" might be a good watch. I think when I asked about it a few months ago there was no definite answer because hardly anyone had seen the series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2008, 8:02 pm 
Post Master

I'm surprised no one gave best animation to The Highlander, which has some of the best animation evar. But I haven't seen Byousoku 5 Centimeters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2008, 11:25 pm 
Regular

Quote:
and worst

not welcome ...

Quote:
Avoid:
Nodame Cantabille

Daisuki average: 92.39%
ANN average: 8.63/10
AnFo average: 8.7/10
AniDB average: 8.99/10

Conclusion: you puzzle me =p

Quote:

LOOOOOOL I noticed that too xD~

Quote:
I found "Dennô Coil" sooo damn boring...

You also puzzle me =p

To me only plotless stuff can be boring (like titles TRYING to be cute), otherwise if they have plot, it's usually just a matter of mood. BTW Haraken's obaachan is so hot, how can you not like the CD of this title? Yuko Amazawa with her hair loose (last episode) is also so pretty XD~

Quote:
But it's good to hear that "Seto no Hanayome" might be a good watch

Beware, my wife did not like it so much (in her words, "normal stuff, nothing against it"), and I found myself somewhat embarassed to laugh out-loud each 2~3 minutes and she looking at me like "what's so funny?" :cry: BTW when you asked about it I said it was good =p

edit

If I can add another single category to my listings in time:

Best single episode: Touka Gettan 21th episode

Among many animes I have watched, this single episode is fantastic, not because of plot, characters or anything else, but it's trully about art. It touches very deep and thought provoking subjects while using a fantastic mix of animation. Most of the episode is B&W, and than it gently colors things as one character mentions them, than several objects are colored, and in the end, in a special moment, color flows on screen. This is not a "best" anime and not a runner up for anything else, and I can remeber several episodes better than this in most aspects, but as art per se, just to show colors, character designs, and a beautiful message, this excels above all (p.s.: little knowledge on the anime necessary, and no spoilers too, in case you want to d/l only this episode)

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2008, 2:22 am 
Major Contributor

Damn totally forgot about Nodame (I've definitely watched too many shows this year). Updated my list (doesn't change my top picks just the runner ups)

I would have chosen Nodame Cantabile as best unexpectedly good series but I'd already watched the Live Action version so I pretty much knew it was going to be good. Gurren Lagann however, just kinda came out of nowhere. I don't think anyone really expected Gainax to succeed like they did with that series.

Quote:
spaz your bbcode for best of the year is buggy =p

Really? Looks fine from my end.

Oh as a side note, I only considered anime that finished in 2007. Anime that are only halfway finished (like CLANNAD, Gundam 00 for instance) were not considered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2008, 2:55 am 
Regular

Quote:

By the time I edited my post it looked ok too, weird.

Quote:
Oh as a side note, I only considered anime that finished in 2007. Anime that are only halfway finished (like CLANNAD, Gundam 00 for instance) were not considered.

Yeah, it is weird for me to see something like Clannad, which only aired HALF, be already a best or a worst :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2008, 4:26 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
spazmaster666 wrote:
Caiobrz wrote:
spaz your bbcode for best of the year is buggy =p

That would be my handiwork. When I saw it was messed up I went ahead and fixed it for ya Spaz. It was just a color code left open and a stray </b> tag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2008, 6:49 am 
Major Contributor

Acmurphy wrote:
That would be my handiwork. When I saw it was messed up I went ahead and fixed it for ya Spaz. It was just a color code left open and a stray </b> tag.

Well I did notice that the first time and thought I had fixed it. Maybe not. Oh well whatever. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2008, 8:28 am 

Amex_Yohko wrote:

I actually found it quite amusing and at least it wasn't as obtrusive as it was in Code Geass.

I didn't get to watch all that much anime last year but I agree that Code Geass was one of, if not the best anime of 2007.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2008, 10:15 am 
Regular

spazmaster666 wrote:
Acmurphy wrote:

Well I did notice that the first time and thought I had fixed it. Maybe not. Oh well whatever. :lol:

See, I'm not totally crazy LOL =p

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2008, 10:22 pm 

It's so sad that I can even participate on this one, I did not watch any series this year, I did start a couple of series but I did not go past a couple of episodes. From what I read and from what I was able to watch in youtube for a couple of minutes the only series that have caught my attention in this thread are Byousoku 5 Centimeters and Minami ke.
Most nominated were mecha series so I won't ever watch those. I think I will definitely pcik up MInami-ke, it looks just like azumanga daioh.