Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 12th, 2017, 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2007, 1:50 pm 
Resident Scholar

Caiobrz wrote:
my dad don't mind dubbed stuff, while me, my mom and my wife can't stand dubs. My in-laws must watch dubbed because they are simple people not used to anything subbed so let's say they wouldn't be able to read the first word of a sub before it switches

Your whole family watches Anime? Awesome... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2007, 3:20 pm 
Regular

No, my whole family watches US movies and series.

But my dad watches anime (loved Card Captor Sakura and Nodame Cantabile)

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2007, 4:42 pm 
Post Master

Caiobrz wrote:
lol sure it is, most people try to explain why they preffer dubs, but seriously, going to the extreme of saying it's possible to harm an anime quality if it lacks a dub it very extreme. Other language dub is part of the anime, how can something that is not part of the original be harmfull in any way to the title itself? that's extreme =p

He said the exact opposite of what you just said.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2007, 5:45 pm 
Regular

Quote:

duh, that's obvious, what I meant is that it's SO obvious it does not make sense to actually say "the lack of dub does not harm the anime" ... that's obvious, the original anime does not have other dubs.

it's like saying "the lack of a spoiled version does not spoils the original"

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2007, 8:55 pm 
Major Contributor

Caiobrz wrote:
Quote:

duh, that's obvious, what I meant is that it's SO obvious it does not make sense to actually say "the lack of dub does not harm the anime" ... that's obvious, the original anime does not have other dubs.

it's like saying "the lack of a spoiled version does not spoils the original"

:lol:
Would the lack of a spoiled version spoil the original?

I suppose "the lack of a spoiled version does not spoil the original" is kind of what I'm getting at...

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 27th, 2007, 6:04 am 
Post Master

spazmaster666 wrote:
Here's a question for y'all "dub lovers":

When you watched a series released on DVD, do you watch both versions or do you only watch the dubbed version?

I've done both sometimes.

For "Origin ~Spirits of the past~" I watched it in subs first, then I watched it with a dub. I personally liked the subs a little better.

Same thing for Cowboy Bebop the movie, subs first, but I liked the dub better.

I also plan on re-watching Elfen Lied with subs because the dub is pure trash.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 1st, 2008, 7:47 pm 

I think it's a matter of preference. I preffer english dubs to Japanese with subtitles, that's me.

Still commpanies like say FUNamation do tend to utterly change the dubs. Personally I usually watch a series threw once. I don't have the time or often interest to watch a series twice. However I do keep the subs on for the first episode or so and if there is a huge difference or if I just can't stand the acting, like Saber Marionette J-X, I switch other to The Japanese with subs.

As for if a translated version of anything, being a book or movie, as good as the orginal. It depends, if the translator is as skilled as the orginal writter, knows both lanuages extremely well, then yes it is possible. Or at least that is what I believe. However there are things that just could never be translated properly simple because the orginal aurhtor was a genious. Shakespear will never sound or be anywhere near as good translated into anything, even modern English. But really the quality of translation rest with the skill of the tranlator.

As for the difference in sound. Well since we're talking about English and Japanese for the most part, the two languages are like night and day. You can't expect the two versions to sound anything alike. We've all listened to Japanese, the language Japanese has a very swift, high pitched and many words that have no real meaning on their own and is much more suptle. English on the other hand is a very, very slow, deep pitched language. English is also a composite lanuage we have words from almost every language humanity has ever used where as the only lingual influance Japan has had for much of its history is Korean and Chinese.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 1st, 2008, 8:22 pm 
Regular

Quote:
I suppose "the lack of a spoiled version does not spoil the original" is kind of what I'm getting at...

I know, I only mentioned it because it seams obvious =p

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 2nd, 2008, 6:53 pm 
Resident Scholar

The Adict wrote:
Japanese has a very swift, high pitched...
English on the other hand is a very, very slow, deep pitched language.

Is that so? I've been studying Japanese for seven years now, and I've been studying English for, uh, 19 minus 3 = 16 years now, and no academic author of phonetics I have read has ever mentioned anything about pitch as a trait of a language itself.

Sociolinguists on the other hand... they will tell you that in certain cultural environments (which express themselves via a language, not vice versa) you will find high- or low-pitched speaking as a means of expressing social status or just politeness.

In Japan, and not just in Japan, people tend to use a higher voice when speaking to superiors.
A relatively high pitch soothes the listener, whereas a low pitch will sound aggressively, at least it will convey something like "I am willing to oppose you".
Compare the way a female shop assistant talks to a customer to the way a proud Samurai is depicted via his voice. (If you want to intimidate a potential opponent, you'll use a deep voice, won't you?)

Trivia: That loud, manly speaking of the Samurai was only applied up to a certain point of the hierarchy. The Shôgun himself only whispered. Raising his voice was below his dignity. His lieutenants then spoke out loud for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2008, 11:52 am 

I didn't know that. Thank you for informing me. It was just something I noticed listening to anime and the few pits of Japanese TV shows I've seen. Stil English is a rather language.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 3rd, 2008, 11:58 pm 
Major Contributor

But in many English dubs, the voices are just as high-pitched as some of the Japanese voices which is why it often sounds so unnatural.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2008, 11:50 am 

I've only come across that a few times, maybe cause I stay away from fansubs. But I find that many of the newer anime are getting excellent English dubs and translations. One of the few things newer anime is doing right. Or atleast of the anime I have seen.

But yeah high-pitched voice speaking swiftly do not quiet jibe with English very well. The thing that bugs me most when it come to dubbing is when the English actors have to speek unnatural quick match lips with the images on screen, or when the y have to draw out their speech. Or when they don't bother. I can never understand about it is with all the tech they have now the could easily slow down the frame to get everything in or they can shorten it. It's all a matter of editing on the computer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2008, 5:09 pm 
Resident Scholar

spazmaster666 wrote:
But in many English dubs, the voices are just as high-pitched as some of the Japanese voices which is why it often sounds so unnatural.

I don't know much about the training of voice actors outside Japan. Over here, professional voice actors are used for TV series and stuff, while animated movies for the big screen are voiced-over by professional actors.

Uh, speaking in a higher voice as a means to show respect is (of course?) much more common in Japan than in the US/UK I guess, plus Seiyû receive special job training, their jobs don't come as a part of training for something else or something similar (like singer or actor). That's why I think that Japanese Seiyû are better prepared by their cultural environment and better qualified to use higher-pitched voices.
Mitsuishi Kotono just sounds way more natural than Jessica Calvello - although the latter does her job very well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 4th, 2008, 8:32 pm 
Post Master

spazmaster666 wrote:

Funimation and ADV always do that type of shit. It's seriously annoying. They do it to make the girls sound "innocent". Thats the way ADV ruined any chance of a good dub for Elfen Lied, they made all the girls very high-pitched and quiet as if they were whispering. I mean, they could've atleast gotten the damn audio balance right.

Post subject:
PostPosted: January 5th, 2008, 12:38 pm 

See I didn't think the girls had needlessly high pitched voices in Elfen Lied, they were about what I was expecting from a 12-14 year old girls. Which three of the female leads were. And they talked normal for people that have gone threw what they did. That is except the cousin, can't remember her name. I hated how she would go from soft to screaming with really nothing in between.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next