Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 14th, 2017, 7:54 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: December 16th, 2007, 9:38 pm 
Major Contributor

I split this topic since we needed a sub vs. dub topic anyway and it was going a little off topic from the "Anime News" thread. ;)

Anyway, while I would agree about the "preference" thing, there are some dubs that just totally destroy the original track and can make a show unwatchable for someone who has already heard the sub or, in the worst case scenario, actually change the way the characters are meant to be protrayed. Most of the time, the dubbing is decent enough that it won't go to such an extreme but there are definitely examples of anime dubs that should not be watched by anyone.

Two examples I would give would probably be Sailor Moon or One Piece. The English dubs for those two series are TERRIBLE, and it's not just due to it being censored either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 17th, 2007, 12:35 am 
Regular

I feel like a bug in here, always creating splits ...

anyway, on this subject I already spoke my mind. Another thing though: here in Brazil we are so used to subs (american movies get to theaters always subbed, unless children ones) that I think it's almost a cultural trait to despise dubs. I know A LOT of people (tadah! including myself) who would never pay to watch something dub. Luckly, as I mentioned, only children movies get dubbed, and the ones in between (like some disney titles, or CG animations like shreak) often have a room subbed and one dubbed. Subbed room is always filled =p

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2007, 4:12 am 
Major Contributor

Here's a question for y'all "dub lovers":

When you watched a series released on DVD, do you watch both versions or do you only watch the dubbed version?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2007, 5:34 am 
Regular

Only the dubbed. I frankly don't have time to watch a series twice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2007, 7:18 am 
Major Contributor

Zaxares wrote:
Only the dubbed. I frankly don't have time to watch a series twice.

Fair enough. But if you did have the time would you watch the series dubbed to see what the difference is? Or is that not really important to you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2007, 7:52 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
spazmaster666 wrote:

When you watched a series released on DVD, do you watch both versions or do you only watch the dubbed version?

I always start out watching the dub and if I dislike it or have some fundamental problem with it, I'll switch to watching it subbed. If I don't have a problem with the dub, I normally never listen to the sub at all. (Obviously this is different if I am reviewing the title).

spazmaster666 wrote:
But if you did have the time would you watch the series dubbed(subbed?) to see what the difference is? Or is that not really important to you?

(I think you meant to write subbed as opposed to dubbed in your previous comment).

The difference in the types of voices, or the difference in the writing compared to the dub?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2007, 8:05 am 
Major Contributor

Acmurphy wrote:
(I think you meant to write subbed as opposed to dubbed in your previous comment).

The difference in the types of voices, or the difference in the writing compared to the dub?

LOL it's funny how s and d are right next to each other on the keyboard.

And well I suppose it would be both since sometimes the dub changes the voices significantly compared to the sub and of course is often translated in a way that is more fitting of native English speakers than a more strict translation of the Japanese.

For instance, Cowboy Bebop is a series in which the dubbed version varies significantly from the subbed version to make it sound more natural since obviously English is spoken quite differently from the way Japanese is usually spoken.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2007, 7:13 pm 
Regular

If I did have the time, yes, I suppose I would. As I've written about before though, I usually much prefer dubbed versions since I don't have to devote attention to reading the subtitles.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2007, 7:26 pm 
Resident Scholar

Caiobrz wrote:
lol I won't get into the subs discussions but seriously, I laugh when I read stuff like "Something dubbed in another language can be just as good as the original, and possibly even improve upon it.". Sorry, it's IMPOSSIBLE as in IMPOSSIBLE.

Uh, but in one of my previous posts I said that it is very much possible. :?
Theoretically, I should add. Because it depends on the ability and willingness of a country's industry to do such feats. Stanley Kubrick himself praised the German voice actor who spoke the lead role in "A Clockwork Orange". As for Brazil... well, if "Dubs" are automatically linked to "kids' stuff" it seems like a cultural thing to reject them.
People who are older than 40yo usually reject Anime for the same reason, because they perceive cartoons as entertainment for children. I wonder why? Tex Avery made some cartoons that were very much intended for an adult audience. Obviously the impact didn't last.

spazmaster666 wrote:

I usually lack the time and the willingness to watch both versions. I'd watch the Japanese version first, no doubt about that, but I would switch audio channels for comparison within certain scenes.

Example: "Ranma - Nihao my Concubine". There is a scene in which Ranma (female) is tied to a post against her will in order to lure the girl snatchers and she hurls curses at her companions for making her be the bait.
Hayashibara Megumi would speak as Ranma-chan in a relatively high voice, but during the scene I described she would use a deeper register to impersonate furious Ranma-chan.
Venus Terzo, who did the English job, is quite the contrary. Her voice has a rather deep tone that seems very sexy to me, but intonating furious Ranma-chan she changes to a pretty high-pitched register.

I like such comparisons, but usually I'd only watch the complete dubbed version if I'm bored or very curious.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2007, 10:21 pm 
Regular

Quote:
Uh, but in one of my previous posts I said that it is very much possible. Confused

Sure it's possible, the same way it's POSSIBLE that they do quality good subs ....... and they don't.

So, what are the chances that, given they can't even translate it right, to even dub it correctly, choose better seeyus, and how could they possibly do the lip sync?

If I can choose, subs forever. If I can't ....... I don't even watch :roll: (like, better alone than with bad company kind of stuff LOOOOL)

BUT I agree with Zaxares POV, if he is so worried about not having the time to read, or don't want to, go for it ;) My only problem is that there is a difference between WANTING or HAVING to watch dub, and than going all the way to say it's the same or better .. na-ha, can't accept it.

Quote:
As for Brazil... well, if "Dubs" are automatically linked to "kids' stuff" it seems like a cultural thing to reject them.

Not quite, for instance, my dad don't mind dubbed stuff, while me, my mom and my wife can't stand dubs. My in-laws must watch dubbed because they are simple people not used to anything subbed so let's say they wouldn't be able to read the first word of a sub before it switches xDDDDDDDDD~

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 20th, 2007, 10:22 pm 
Major Contributor

spazmaster666 wrote:

When the dub track is present, I prefer to go dub.

I feel like Dreamworks fraked up when they didn't release the English dub of Ghost in the Shell 2 in R1, especially since I don't believe it's any secret one was made. (As I remember, that track was either R2 or R4.) But that's the one occasion where I've bought something that was Japanese dub only that I'd actually complain. I mean, if an English dub track exists (as is the case here), why not release it in R1?

On most occasions were I have bought a DVD that only had the Japanese dub, however, I wouldn't say the viewing experience is harmed by the lack of an English dub. Sakura Diaries is an example of this. I found that one to be a great series, and the copy of the series I have is Japanese only. I'm interested in how the English dub would have sounded, but that's as much out of curiosity as anything.

Last edited by shgarland on December 21st, 2007, 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2007, 12:19 am 
Regular

Quote:
I wouldn't say the viewing experience is harmed by the lack of an English dub

lol that's the most extreme opinion I ever heard on a sub/dub discussion =p

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2007, 2:06 am 
Major Contributor

shgarland wrote:
In most occasions were I have bought a DVD that only had the Japanese dub, however, I wouldn't say the viewing experience is harmed by the lack of an English dub. Sakura Diaries is an example of this. I found that one to be a great series, and the copy of the series I have is Japanese only. I'm interested in how the English dub would have sounded, but that's as much out of curiosity as anything.

Well it would likely harm the sales since many a casual anime fan may only pick up an anime DVD if it has an English voice track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2007, 3:54 am 
Major Contributor

Caiobrz wrote:
Quote:
I wouldn't say the viewing experience is harmed by the lack of an English dub

lol that's the most extreme opinion I ever heard on a sub/dub discussion =p

is it? Well, someone had to say it about something I've said sometime, why not now.

spazmaster666 wrote:
Well it would likely harm the sales since many a casual anime fan may only pick up an anime DVD if it has an English voice track.

I know this is true because not having an English track effected my decision not to pick up Millennium Actress. I'd prefer to get a DVD with an English track if I can help it. I'm just not gonna complain if a title I bought that didn't have an English track was worth watching anyway (which is how my example, Sakura Diaries, worked out).

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 21st, 2007, 1:03 pm 
Regular

Quote:
is it? Well, someone had to say it about something I've said sometime, why not now.

lol sure it is, most people try to explain why they preffer dubs, but seriously, going to the extreme of saying it's possible to harm an anime quality if it lacks a dub it very extreme. Other language dub is part of the anime, how can something that is not part of the original be harmfull in any way to the title itself? that's extreme =p

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next