Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 19th, 2017, 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Laughing Man = Suck or Win?
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2007, 12:01 am 
Post Master

I downloaded GITS SAC some time ago, I liked it but I was bored to death by the stand alone episodes and the stupid Tachikomas. I liked the idea of The Laughing Man compilation and was planning to buy it until I found out it had a new dub. Does it suck?

Also, on ANN, I noticed that the 6th and 7th DVDs are labelled as 1.6 and 1.7, if I buy the 1st, 6th, and 7th DVDs would I be getting The Laughing Man without a new dub, or would I be missing something?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2007, 12:21 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
While I have not seen it, it seems to include new footage which might have been the reason for having to do some new dub work. However, it seems they used entirely new people for the dub, why I have no idea, so I am unsure as to he quality. But if anyone can enlighten me as to why they used a different dub crew for this one I would be very interested in it.

As to your second question, due to the fact that the laughing man DVD is a compilation with new footage, the DVDs 1.6 and 1.7 will be of the old dub, with the old footage since it would be all off if they tried to switch it up with the new dub stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2007, 12:24 am 
Post Master

Acmurphy wrote:
As to your second question, due to the fact that the laughing man DVD is a compilation with new footage, the DVDs 1.6 and 1.7 will be of the old dub, with the old footage since it would be all off if they tried to switch it up with the new dub stuff.

I was actually asking if I would be missing an episode concerning The Laughing Man if I only bought those dvds. I would try to figure this out myself but... the disk I burned the series on is in my giant cylinder of unlabeled disks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2007, 12:33 am 
Resident Admin

Well then, yes, you will be missing some amount of the additional footage they made to make the Laughing Man OAV. How much footage I don't know, but someone else can probably tell you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2007, 3:07 am 
Major Contributor

Basically the OVA compresses the entire first season of SAC into a 2-hour long feature film with the new scenes and the animation quality improved to what you would typically expect from a feature-length anime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2007, 3:10 am 
Post Master

spazmaster666 wrote:
Basically the OVA compresses the entire first season of SAC into a 2-hour long feature film with the new scenes and the animation quality improved to what you would typically expect from a feature-length anime.

Did you even read what I said...? I know everything you just told me. I'm asking if the new dub sucks or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2007, 5:24 am 
Major Contributor

New voice actors used:

Motoko: Allison Matthews (role actress for various television series)
Aramaki: Russell Roberts
Batou: David Kaye (played Sesshomaru in Innuyasha, Treize Khushrenada in Gundam Wing)
Togusa: Trevor Devall (played Mu La Flaga in Gundam Seed)
Ishikawa: John Payne
Saito: Brian Drummond (played Zechs Merquise in Gundam Wing, Allen Schezar from The Vision of Escaflowne)
Paz: John Murphy
Boma: Mark Gibbon

As you would notice, this is a Canadian voice cast, and a pretty strong one at that (especially David Kaye and Brian Drummond)

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2007, 5:56 am 
Post Master

Hmm.. I know a bit of those actors, and they are usually good. I don't know anything about Allison Matthews though, I will just buy Laughing Man in the hope that she is good at voice acting (she better be, being the main character and all).

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2007, 10:16 am 

Dude, i love most of those voice actors but to me part of what made GITS:SAC so good was how well the voice actors fit the characters. I'm putting it down a suck. Even though I've never seen it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2007, 3:19 pm 
Post Master

Damn, I can't seem to find anywhere where I can sample the new dub, theres nothing on youtube and theres nothing on torrents, and no official site or trailer. Not even a 2 minute clip. I guess I'm going to have to watch it so no one else has to ask the question. If the dub sucks, then theres always the subs I guess.

I hope it isn't rushed. The rightstuf page says its 106 minutes, yet the ANN page says its 140 minutes, DVD empire says 160, some places say its 2 hours. I only believe this thing would actually feel good at 140+ minutes. I hate when sites give wrong info, it pisses me off.

Edit: The Amazon.com editorial review says its 160 minutes, yet the amazon product details says 106. GAH!

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2007, 7:52 pm 
Major Contributor

Mmsven wrote:
Hmm.. I know a bit of those actors, and they are usually good. I don't know anything about Allison Matthews though, I will just buy Laughing Man in the hope that she is good at voice acting (she better be, being the main character and all).

If you've ever watched Galaxy Angel, she voices Forte Stollen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2007, 7:55 pm 
Post Master

spazmaster666 wrote:
If you've ever watched Galaxy Angel, she voices Forte Stollen.

I checked, and I haven't seen any of the anime or live-action films shes starred in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 10th, 2007, 10:43 pm 
Post Master

Just ordered it today, should be here in around 5 days. I will voice my unbiased opinion on it since EVERYWHERE people just whine about the original cast, it pisses me off. I will also inform people about whether the pace works.

And if people want I will try to get a voice clip.

Edit: Oh yeah almost forgot, and I will give the PROPER runtime.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 11th, 2007, 1:46 am 
Resident Admin

People have a problem with the original GitS cast? You mean the original cast from the first GitS movie or for the original SAC cast before the Laughing Man recast?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 11th, 2007, 1:57 am 
Post Master

Acmurphy wrote:
People have a problem with the original GitS cast? You mean the original cast from the first GitS movie or for the original SAC cast before the Laughing Man recast?

I'm talking about SAC, they seem to hate the fact that theres a new cast for The Laughing Man, so their opinion is biased and they don't give jack for information otherwise. I guess I worded it wrong last time.