Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 24th, 2017, 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anime review of an unfinished anime?
PostPosted: October 24th, 2007, 6:50 pm 
Newcomer

Isn't the Melachonly of Haruhi Suzumiya having a second season released? Wouldn't it be sort of strange to review half of an Anime?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24th, 2007, 8:00 pm 
Regular

Well, some of the reviews on this site are split into seaons (For instance, Magic Knight Rayearth and Vandread).

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24th, 2007, 9:31 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
It will simply be split into two different reviews for each respective season. As Cab329 said, much the same as the current Vandread or Magic Knight Rayearth reviews, which are split between each respective season. And yes, it looks like they are producing a second season for The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and I believe work began on it in July, or that's when it was announced anyway.

Post subject: Re: Anime review of an unfinished anime?
PostPosted: October 26th, 2007, 6:18 am 
Resident Scholar

Mobius3x wrote:
Isn't the Melachonly of Haruhi Suzumiya having a second season released? Wouldn't it be sort of strange to review half of an Anime?

Hahaha, why would that be strange? There are titles with several seasons and every season can be reviewed for itself. But that's already been said. I'll give a Manga comparison: There are Manga series with hundreds of chapters - would you wait until the whole thing is finished until you write a review if asked to do so? I think many of these neverending stories come to an end rather quickly, when publishers or writers don't feel like it any more and construct a rash ending, so you never know when it's going to be finished.
To cut it short: If a season has been published, or enough episodes to realize the essence of the series, I think it's okay to write a review.

Post subject: Re: Anime review of an unfinished anime?
PostPosted: October 26th, 2007, 8:46 am 
Major Contributor

Mobius3x wrote:

True, but the first season is more or less a stand alone. A perfect example is Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex. It has two seasons, but obviously reviewers didn't wait for 2nd Gig to come out before they review the first season. Same can be said for Full Metal Panic! and TSR. I decided to review Haruhi at this point because I got the first three DVDs from Netflix over the weekend and since I was going to rewatch it anyway, I felt a little incentive to review it. Yes a second season is coming but who knows what it'll be like? This isn't like Rurouni Kenshin in which the series is ongoing. You might as well consider it to be a 2nd series rather than a second season since they are spaced more than two years apart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 29th, 2007, 2:38 pm 
Regular

Just my two cents: Haruhi was originally a single series. Greed and sucess made them go for another season, that's all.

I don't see much problem reviewing stand-alone seasons, like Vandread, Zero no Tsukaima, etc.. Also, sometimes you simply don't know if the end of a series is self-contained of the second season will follow up. For instance, I used to think Jigoku Shoujo's ending was enough, but after watching the second season it becomes IMPOSSIBLE not to think of it as a single "divided in two" whole, so in this case I would not recommend separated reviews. BUT how would one know about the second season until it was announced weeks/months after the first season ended?

Solution: merge reviews when the second season does that. If second season of Haruhi makes both season a consistent whole, just change the review to be about them both. If not, than two reviews are ok, specially for those who watched the first but are unsure if the second will be ok to watch (like, didn't like enough the first)

Quote:
Same can be said for Full Metal Panic! and TSR

FMP "seasons" are different and time-wise appart enough to separate reviews. They also have very different aspects and story-telling to second that. For instance, TSR is so much move violent and gory than the first season, and he second season almost had no romance factor as the first did. I think one person who watched the first season would gain a lot from a stand-alone review of TSR to decide to go ahead or not, since there is no real continuity among them and you can drop and not watch TSR if did not like much the first season and a TSR review do not mention anything that would make you like it better ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30th, 2007, 1:06 am 
Major Contributor

Caiobrz wrote:
Solution: merge reviews when the second season does that. If second season of Haruhi makes both season a consistent whole, just change the review to be about them both. If not, than two reviews are ok, specially for those who watched the first but are unsure if the second will be ok to watch (like, didn't like enough the first)

While I'll definitely consider that as an option, I really don't think it's necessary. As opposed to something like Code Geass, which is essentially one series divided into two seasons which are aired a good time apart, series like Haruhi or Stand Alone Complex or FMP have endings that give a sense of closure to the series/season even if they do hint at another season or sequel on the way. I would never review the first season of Geass and the second season separately since the first season ends in a huge cliffhanger. But it makes sense to review seasons separately if each season has a good degree of conclusiveness to it.

Also most of the time, the second season or sequel to an anime is designed so that those who haven't seen the first season can also enjoy, though probably not as much as those who watched the first season. A good example is Shakugan no Shana, which basically recapped the first season in the first episode of the second season so that anyone who hasn't watched the first season knows basically what is going on. Either that or the series itself is so non-plot driven that it wouldn't even matter that the viewer hasn't seen the first season (i.e. something like School Rumble)

Not to mention, as was the case with FMP!, the sequel could be from a completely different production studio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30th, 2007, 6:33 am 

Caiobrz wrote:
Just my two cents: Haruhi was originally a single series. Greed and sucess made them go for another season, that's all.

Well it was an anime adaptation of a still ongoing novel series... and as adaptations go. If there is success... adapt more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30th, 2007, 12:40 pm 
Resident Scholar

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Caiobrz wrote:
Well it was an anime adaptation of a still ongoing novel series... and as adaptations go. If there is success... adapt more.

The novel series has more issues than the Anime series presented, so there is no danger in a way that some scriptwriter might take the characters and establish something similar but completely new. But if they go off again and offer the episodes in some random order so they have a suspension curve they can keep their damn stuff.