Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 18th, 2017, 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 15th, 2007, 9:59 pm 

spazmaster666 wrote:
Yes, but I would say there are probably still more viruses for the XP since it's simply easier to develop viruses for XP than it is for Vista. Not to mention, there are more people using XP than Vista (even though pretty much all new PCs now all come with Vista instead of XP)

I think you could argue that either way. I think its funny how they give you the option of what OS you want. Friend got a brand new laptop from DELL installed with XP but it also came with a disk for Vista.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 15th, 2007, 10:43 pm 

I would never switch to Vista.
I know a lot of people who got new computers with Vista, and their computers run as fast as a turtle. While my laptop from 1994 running XP, can run pretty much everything at a very nice speed, and I have a Vista style skin so I get the cool black Vista style, that's all I need. Besides a lot of people have mentioned to me that some of their old stuff (printers, games, etc) do not work with vista.
Security wise, well if you know how to surf the net and how to set up a firewall then viruses shouldn't really be a problem.
Meh, I'll wait for the new OS, be it two or three years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 16th, 2007, 1:15 am 
Regular

Quote:
Unlikely. XP just felt so damn sluggish and arcane the last time I attempted to use it.

Guys at work would have a field day of laughter with this statement in this context (Vista vs XP)

As you might guess, 100% XP Boxes there since all system admins dropped the OSes for the company, among all possible choices, to two: XP or Linux. Since there are both windows and linux lovers, about half machines at work are XP, the others Linux. All new machines come often with XP though (after all, Linux is free but XP is not, so they rather buy it with OEM XP and eventually dual-boot to linux to come with no XP at all and not have such option).

I will however offer you a field day of laugher (though it's serious): For any non-internet terminal I would still use W98 ^^v

BTW I know all too well how caching works, and also know XP is useless on managing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 16th, 2007, 12:08 pm 
Major Contributor

Caiobrz wrote:
BTW I know all too well how caching works, and also know XP is useless on managing it.

Then you know that the very reason that XP starts to feel sluggish and unresponsive after long periods of use (without a reboot) is due to it's poor memory management. If you look at Vista's memory management, it's actually kind of nostalgic as it's similar in efficiency as the excellent memory management in Win 9x. This is one of the reasons why Vista, on a suitably fast machine, just fells more responsive than XP, especially after long periods of use without rebooting.

So for enthusiasts who prefer Windows operating systems, I really can't think of any reason at this point to pick XP over Vista. If you have a fast computer, it's obvious that Vista is going to run smoother and be more responsive than XP.

Oh, and on a side note, on my system it takes XP forever to boot while Vista boots pretty fast, especially with a flash drive that has Readyboost enabled. (And this is with a equal number of startup programs on both OSs.)

And BTW, how much have you used Vista on a day to day basis?

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 16th, 2007, 2:21 pm 

spazmaster666 wrote:
And BTW, how much have you used Vista on a day to day basis?

On some computers at school, on dad's laptop, and girlfriend's computer. I have used it a right good number of times and I admit it has some good features but I just like XP much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 16th, 2007, 3:02 pm 
Major Contributor

zero_chaos wrote:
On some computers at school, on dad's laptop, and girlfriend's computer. I have used it a right good number of times and I admit it has some good features but I just like XP much better.

Okay, but what parts of XP do you like better? For instance the user interface.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 16th, 2007, 5:36 pm 

spazmaster666 wrote:
Okay, but what parts of XP do you like better? For instance the user interface.

I can't really tell you. Its more of a traditional thing, I have been using XP for the longest time so I am more comfortable with it.

Post subject: Re: Vista vs XP
PostPosted: December 3rd, 2009, 1:58 pm 
Resident Scholar

Now that Windows 7 is out some friends tell me that Vista was more like a beta version of 7.
Anyone care to agree or disagree?

PostPosted: December 3rd, 2009, 4:56 pm 
Major Contributor

I definitely am glad that my computer uses XP. A few days ago, when i was setting up both iTunes and Limewire for my dad's Vista computer, the sheer slowness the whole process took for both programs was incredible and not in a good way. Seemed like 15 minutes passed from me starting the iTunes download up to the download being complete! Mine can do it in way less, about 5 minutes at least. So, that was a nightmare in itself, the process of waiting. IDK if i'll upgrade to 7 yet, seeing as i'm completely content with my XP at the moment.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2009, 1:34 am 

Windows 7 is could almost be considered a Vista service pack. A lot of the visual elements are the same with a few changes. The main difference is the engine that runs it. It is a lot faster at everything. It only needs 1GB of RAM and works fine on it.

I really want to get Windows 7 since I am a student(or still have a student email address)...I can pick up a copy of Windows 7 for $30. The biggest problem is after running the Windows 7 Adviser tool, I found a few problems with my hardware compatibility. I might go ahead and try it and if I do get problems just go back to my restore disks.

Great topic to update 42317 :d^_^b:

PostPosted: December 6th, 2009, 1:46 pm 
Resident Scholar

Installing 7 on my old machine (made in 2003) would be a waste of time I guess.
But I'm hearing lots of good stuff from my friends and acquaintances... about organizational things like a sidebar ("How could I ever live without a sidebar?") and actually faster processing times ("It hasn't even crashed a single time since I got it").
But by the time I can afford a computer that has the system requirements there'll be another Windows on the shelves.

zero_chaos wrote:
It only needs 1GB of RAM and works fine on it.

See? That's all the RAM I have! :P2:

zero_chaos wrote:
Great topic to update 42317 :d^_^b:

I've always been a jolly necromancer. :mrgreen: