Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 11th, 2017, 2:13 pm


All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: What's wrong with Most New Games
PostPosted: November 9th, 2007, 12:30 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: March 16th, 2007, 8:22 am
Posts: 795
Location: The Home of Terminally Stupid
Yep, we had it in the anime section. Only a matter of time before it cropped up here too.

My oppinion. Since my internet time is limited and have very few friends that play video games I'd have to say multi player. so many games put so much enfasis on multi player that the single player turns to crap.

Also so many games I've played recently just aren't 'fun' to play anymore. Mean to this day I can pop in a Mrs. Packman into a Genises and still enjoy myself, not so with many games.

_________________
I'm back, and my spelling is actually worse then before. Though my grammar is better. You have been warned.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9th, 2007, 12:38 am 
Offline
Post Master

Joined: March 18th, 2007, 4:11 am
Posts: 1512
Location: British Columbia, Canada
The main problem are the shitty new consoles.

The 360 on ALL versions (even the new ones) have the shitty hardware failures, and even now I read some stores are cancelling the warrenty because they want to earn more money.

The Wii has shitty graphics (comparing to others), shitty games (they can't port games from the other consoles since the hardware difference, and companies fail to make good wiimote controls), and the price never seems to go down like the others did.

The PS3 doesn't have very much game support, and lots of games are running poorer then on the 360 versions of those games. And I hear the multiplayer sucks nuts.

I haven't actually played on any of these consoles though, I just read the internet constantly and have gathered said info.

Off Topic: I have seriously high hopes for Call Of Duty 4 (PC VERSION).

_________________
Myanimelist.net List


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9th, 2007, 1:48 am 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: September 13th, 2007, 2:17 pm
Posts: 569
The red rings of death...I'm so paranoid about them since I lost my receipt. :oops:

I don't know, a lot of the new games are fun (Overlord, bioshock, DOA 4, etc.).

Really, I don't care for how games seemed to focus so much on graphics. I mean, look at LAIR. Beautiful game...horrid controls.

I'm gonna pull from the july issue of play (2007) for a few issues they mentioned.

1. Patches...WTF? The developers have been working on a game for years, and they still realease a game that has a game-killing glitch? It's really assholic when they know of a problem and have the patch up on their website the day after a game releases (just delay it, assholes!).

2. Games that try and force you to feel an emotion. I remember playing Final Fantasy Adventure for Gameboy and feeling really sad at the end, and then wanting to write a novel about the awesomeness of the game (I was in fourth grade). Did the game smother me with sadness? NO! It just had me play through, hear the dialogue, and let me put myself in the character's shoes. It had hardly any text, but its story telling was great. A lot of the new stuff makes you just move along a story, not let you be the character (kind of hard to explain, but I can try).

3. Respect for the gamer. Too many companies just want you to buy their games and systems because they made it (Square Enix...Nintendo...PS3 :evil: ). Give us a reason to want to play the game, don't just rehash the same game, then expect all of us to love it.

This has nothing to do with Play....Crash Bandicoot....WTF? You used to be cool! Now you're a sad sack of **&^

_________________
"DUDE you got the jesus bling! That's like the bling that died for all the other blings' sin!"

Dr. Insane-o


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9th, 2007, 2:28 am 
Offline
Major Contributor
User avatar

Joined: April 26th, 2007, 7:33 pm
Posts: 1210
Location: Austin, Texas
I dunno, I've never had a serious issue with my 360. I think it's just a matter of keeping your 360 well ventilated. Unfortunately a lot of people probably don't understand this concept, especially those not well versed on the PC side of things. and is probably the reason for a good chunk of the red ring issue (which happens because of GPU overheating)

Quote:
Off Topic: I have seriously high hopes for Call Of Duty 4 (PC VERSION).


You won't be disappointed. It's a thoroughly excellent game. The campaign is very short, but very intense. Probably more intense that any other COD game I've played (and I've played all of them) Not to mention the graphics can be very impressive especially the lighting effects at night. The multiplayer is also very deep, but since I'm not too big on multiplayer, I haven't played much of it yet.

Also the reason why a lot of games don't seem to be as good as they used to is that many games are simply recycling existing concepts and mechanics and simply changing the setting, the time period, or the environment. Even great games like Call of Duty 4 have basically been done, just not as well.

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9th, 2007, 7:02 am 
Offline
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: March 15th, 2007, 7:38 am
Posts: 118
Location: A country which most people doesn't want to know about...
For me the best next-gen console is XBOX 360.Maybe because it was release a year earlier than both PS3 and Wii.I really disappointed with Wii and PS3 because Wii's graphics are 25% prettier than any PS2 games although its gameplay is its major attraction.For PS3,it need more A-rated games.It also suffered from weak release titles than XBOX 360.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's wrong with Most New Games
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2009, 11:11 am 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
What's the most expensive game you've ever seen?
The game that I found to be "wrong" is not new... it was published in 2004 already... but if you look at its Amazon (J) webpage you'll realize something's VERY wrong with the game... like with PC games in Japan in general:
This game, Fushigi no Dungeon - Fûrai no Shiren Gaiden - Onna Kenshi Asuka Kenzan! (might be translated as "The Mysterious Dungeon - Another Story of a Vagabond's Trial - Meet Asuka the female Sword Fighter!"), costs 42,380 Yen - $440 today... and it's even the "Best Price Edition"!

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's wrong with Most New Games
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2009, 8:25 pm 
Offline
Post Master

Joined: March 18th, 2007, 4:11 am
Posts: 1512
Location: British Columbia, Canada
My first post in this thread wasn't even on-topic.

Now I think I have spotted the REAL problems. Games have been casualized. Too many games nowadays have regenerating health, which promotes recklessness and takes you out of the immersion. Most games for the ps3/360 are M-rated health-regenerating mainstream console shooters with terrible aiming controls that all the 10-year-olds tend to buy. Where the hell are the platformers, RPGs, space shooters, etc...? Most games for the Wii are casual(crap) fitness trainers, have terrible controls, and are games that would appeal to 5-year-olds.

And the PC gets barely any games anymore.

_________________
Myanimelist.net List


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's wrong with Most New Games
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2009, 2:04 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: June 18th, 2007, 1:06 am
Posts: 818
Mmsven wrote:
And the PC gets barely any games anymore.


Agreed. I have a feeling the number of computer titles will just get smaller and smaller. Upgrading a computer to play the latest titles can be costly and outdated quickly. Consoles offer at least 3 years of play before even considering upgrading.

The only problem I find with new games is that there are too many of them. I believe there are better games now then there was ten years ago. The only reason people think otherwise is because there are probably twenty times as many crappy games. The good ones are just few and far between.

I read that most gaming companies now, do not want to make a game unless it has a chance for a sequel. The money it takes to design a game's source engine(and other original items) is expensive and the only way to make the money back is to get a sequel out of it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's wrong with Most New Games
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2009, 3:48 am 
Offline
Major Contributor
User avatar

Joined: April 26th, 2007, 7:33 pm
Posts: 1210
Location: Austin, Texas
Mmsven wrote:
My first post in this thread wasn't even on-topic.

Now I think I have spotted the REAL problems. Games have been casualized. Too many games nowadays have regenerating health, which promotes recklessness and takes you out of the immersion. Most games for the ps3/360 are M-rated health-regenerating mainstream console shooters with terrible aiming controls that all the 10-year-olds tend to buy. Where the hell are the platformers, RPGs, space shooters, etc...? Most games for the Wii are casual(crap) fitness trainers, have terrible controls, and are games that would appeal to 5-year-olds.

And the PC gets barely any games anymore.

I don't have an issue with health regen if it's properly implemented. For instance, Gears of War would have been seriously irritating if there was no health regeneration, but Resident Evil 5 obviously works better without it. And how is having health packs magically restoring your health any more realistic than regenerating health? Personally I think a system like Far Cry 2 or Residence works the best in that you can regenerate health to a certain extent, but beyond that you'll need health packs.

As for casual gaming, while I personally don't care for it, making casual games does not prevent publishers from putting "core" games out. So to say that the reason why the gaming market is in the decline these days because of casual games is like saying movies these days suck because of all these terrible G-rated family flicks. The existence of one genre does not preclude the other, especially considering that publishers have a lot to lose if they don't appear to both a mainstream and a "core" audience (well unless you're Nintendo). Also it's only natural that games have become more mainstream these days then they have in years past (the same thing happened with cinema, television, and the internet). And that's a GOOD thing overall, despite the fact that casual games are on the rise.

Bad games will always exist, not because publishers are trying to appeal to the mainstream, but because people continue to buy them. Consumers are as much to blame for the existence of bad games as the developers and publishers themselves (i.e. the first 50 cent game sold over 1 million copies, and it was TERRIBLE). If consumers stopped buying so many bad games, then fewer of them will be made.

I do agree that the PC gaming is certainly on the decline, which really saddens me because great PC games are way, way better than anything the consoles could EVER provide. Games like Arma II for instance just would not work on consoles.

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's wrong with Most New Games
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2009, 4:37 am 
Offline
Post Master

Joined: March 18th, 2007, 4:11 am
Posts: 1512
Location: British Columbia, Canada
spazmaster666 wrote:
And how is having health packs magically restoring your health any more realistic than regenerating health?

I never said that was an issue. I'm saying that it makes games too easy and promotes recklessness. It's more realistic to snipe out your enemies than jump around throwing grenades like a fucking idiot in Halo 3. Then when your health gets too low you just run away and WAIT for a minute and your health is back. Waiting is not a fun activity in a game.
spazmaster666 wrote:
The existence of one genre does not preclude the other, especially considering that publishers have a lot to lose if they don't appear to both a mainstream and a "core" audience (well unless you're Nintendo). Also it's only natural that games have become more mainstream these days then they have in years past (the same thing happened with cinema, television, and the internet). And that's a GOOD thing overall, despite the fact that casual games are on the rise.
spazmaster666 wrote:
As for casual gaming, while I personally don't care for it, making casual games does not prevent publishers from putting "core" games out.

I never said that was an issue. What I said was all the "core" games are M-rated health-regenerating mainstream console shooters with terrible aiming controls that all the 10-year-olds tend to buy (crap). All "casual" games are also fitness trainers, have terrible controls, and are games that would appeal to 5-year-olds (crap).

Games that aren't crap tend to sell poorly. For "core" games, I want platformers and RPGs, not crap. For "casual" games, I want puzzlers and board games, not crap.

spazmaster666 wrote:
Bad games will always exist, not because publishers are trying to appeal to the mainstream, but because people continue to buy them. Consumers are as much to blame for the existence of bad games as the developers and publishers themselves (i.e. the first 50 cent game sold over 1 million copies, and it was TERRIBLE). If consumers stopped buying so many bad games, then fewer of them will be made.

I disagree. I say crap games sell because they DO appeal to the mainstream. All the moms in the world want their own personal fitness trainers that took a week to develope.

_________________
Myanimelist.net List


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's wrong with Most New Games
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2009, 9:44 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: March 19th, 2007, 10:54 pm
Posts: 926
Location: Aibonito
So we can conclude what you really hate are fitness trainers :whistle:

I haven't tried any myself...but hey...if one of them really works than maybe I'll give it a try one day...I see my tummy growing :d-_-b:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's wrong with Most New Games
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2009, 1:41 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: June 18th, 2007, 1:06 am
Posts: 818
spazmaster666 wrote:
Bad games will always exist, not because publishers are trying to appeal to the mainstream, but because people continue to buy them. Consumers are as much to blame for the existence of bad games as the developers and publishers themselves (i.e. the first 50 cent game sold over 1 million copies, and it was TERRIBLE). If consumers stopped buying so many bad games, then fewer of them will be made.


I completely agree. My girlfriend's brother(11 years old) will buy these crappy games will researching them. I learned from a young age to research a game I wanted before buying or renting anything. I have seen so many kids pick up horrible video games in a store.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's wrong with Most New Games
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2009, 3:07 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: March 19th, 2007, 10:54 pm
Posts: 926
Location: Aibonito
But lets take my little brother as an example...he's like...I don't know...7 I think...maybe 10...yeah I think 10...

He enjoys any kind of game...doesn't matter how crappy it is....I have given him games I hate and he finishes them...seems to me kids don't know the difference between good and bad games..they just see if it's something they can move around they will play it...and actually enjoy it...

We may rant all we want...but if kids love them...than let them have it....we can just avoid it ourselves and if we happen to make the mistake of buying one..than look for any kid on the street...he'll love it!

I wonder if I buy Charlie's Angels for the GC he'll still enjoy it :whistle:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's wrong with Most New Games
PostPosted: July 5th, 2009, 9:52 am 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
Fresnokila wrote:
I haven't tried any myself...but hey...if one of them really works than maybe I'll give it a try one day...I see my tummy growing :d-_-b:

So Hinako's "Issho ni Training" wasn't enough for you? :P2:

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: What's wrong with Most New Games
PostPosted: July 13th, 2009, 11:31 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: March 15th, 2007, 11:57 pm
Posts: 755
Its possible as veteran gamers, we have become jaded to the medium. Games in the end can only be so much different from one another, and having played games for so long and exposed to the best of each genre... nothing feels new or good anymore.

Although its true that developers and their mainstreaming isn't helping things. And they end to waste all their resources on graphics, graphics and graphics. I mean I'm sure the stronger hardware could be used in different ways, like developing more advanced enemy AIs or somehow make gameplay more in depth.

The whole gaming scene is too graphically obsessed sometimes.

_________________
Image
http://depleted.wordpress.com/
The contents of a deranged mind.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group