Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 12th, 2017, 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I'm Drifting...
PostPosted: November 7th, 2007, 6:04 pm 
Lurker

it seems my interest in animé is waning, despite the fact that whenever i hear music from say, Gundam Wing, i just get all nostalgic! anyone know of any anime that'll get me back into the genre? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2007, 8:15 pm 

I also went through a stage where I thought I lost interest in anime. New releases didn't appeal to me anymore. But, like you, I also felt nostalgic hearing music from anime I watched during my younger years. So I watched some of the older anime. Then I realized, the new ones are just crap.

Art is innately dumb. It promotes freedom of speech, equal opinion, and an absence of a sense of right and wrong. That's why a lot of dumb people go into art.

Last edited by Dei on November 7th, 2007, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2007, 8:16 pm 
Resident Scholar

If you don't feel like it anymore, do something else.
If you try this and that to get "back in the mood" you'll end up frustrated if there's nothing you really like and you might grow a serious dislike of Anime. On that behalf, in order to prevent that, it's better to restrict the hobby, eyes forward to new things, and just watch something now and then for old times sake.
As we get older our preferences shift considerably. That's absolutely normal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2007, 10:53 pm 
Regular

Ever heard of "tired of it"?

if you watch the same song over and over you will eventually get tired of it, and if you STILL don't stop, you will turn to rate it.

Go do something else. In 6 month time you will be back. It's pretty much what 42317 mentioned.

And about Dei, A million people just got an heart attack hearing your thought-provoking insight into how art is dumb and all generalized universal new anime is dumb. Something not even worth arguing I guess. You might consider one of three options: wait until you reach 16, read the "What's wrong with most new anime?", or simple try some new anime besides Naruto before judging 200+ anime per year as crap.

OR you might ignore what I just said, since I go for art, so it seams I'm dumb 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2007, 11:03 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
I've had the same thing happen to me over the years. My interest in watching anime comes and goes, just like a lot of things in life. Things change, priorities change, shift happens, as they like to say. Or, more simply, you just watch a lot of titles in a row that don't interest you, or you watch too much and burn yourself out. But forcing yourself to continue in spite of a desire to stop won't help. It is better to just do what you feel like doing. No point in doing something if you will get no enjoyment out of it. Best to just wait till you get the feeling again or wait for a title that really seems to hit what you are looking for in a series.

Dei wrote:
Then I realized, the new ones are just crap.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2007, 11:17 pm 
Regular

Yeah, just pick up a new hobby for a while.

To Dei:
Come on, saying all the new stuff is crap? Them's fighting words where I come from :lol:
Seriously though, you have to realize that there's always a few gems out of the HUNDREDS of titles. Besides, we've been watching for years, and the anime that gets released is (for the most part IMO) aimed at the same age group, so although
plots might (and WILL) get recycled, they're new to the intended age group.

Least, that's what I think.

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2007, 11:21 pm 
Regular

I bet if Dei can quote a very good 10+ year old anime I can quote a more recent one that is better or at most on the same level =p

And I also bet the above statement will remain true forever.

This is kind of a Murphy law of art :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2007, 12:58 am 
Major Contributor

Believe it or not, my interest in anime has also decreased recently even though I'm watching more anime series now than I ever did. Funny how that can happen eh? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2007, 10:09 am 
Resident Scholar

spazmaster666 wrote:
Believe it or not, my interest in anime has also decreased recently even though I'm watching more anime series now than I ever did

Did it ever occur to you that your increased rate of Anime consumption might be the reason for your decrease in interest? I mean, that's a realistic possibility, is it not?
I think as long as you watch so few titles that you long for the next opportunity your hobby will remain interesting, but if it turns from "opportunity" to "regular consumption"... it will sooner or later turn into "overkill" I think.
I'm not deliberately reducing my consumption, no, it's just that I lack the time to watch all the stuff I'd like to watch in a short time. The only constant I have is the weekly Anime Club show on Thursdays.

Oh, that's today... I should cut the tickets before that... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2007, 10:53 am 
Regular

42317 wrote:
Quote:
Believe it or not, my interest in anime has also decreased recently even though I'm watching more anime series now than I ever did

Did it ever occur to you that your increased rate of Anime consumption might be the reason for your decrease in interest? I mean, that's a realistic possibility, is it not?

QFT

80's: 50 anime, very selected since it would not even get to be made if it did not impress producers, directors, etc..

90's: 200 anime, still very selected, specially before EVA

Today: 200 anime EACH YEAR, some you clear see people don't care and just do it.

Impossible to be the same fanguy as in the 80's

I call that an upgrade and improvement in artistic content of anime. Before you had only anime for geeks, now you have from anime to retarted to the most critic fan.

You should consider reading the mentioned thread :P

BTW as for the topic, rory_okane, I absolutelly despise Gundan franchise so I can't help you concerning hints on what is similar to that, today. I can quote some worse though LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 8th, 2007, 5:27 pm 
Regular

drifting?
;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9th, 2007, 12:07 am 

Yeah, me there to. But like a lot of people have said there 200 anime coming out per year, personally everytime I think about quiting I come across a great anime. Not Legendary, god beside Elfin Lied and Basilisk when was the last time I watch one of those? This coming from a guy that has 100+ titles on his legendary list.

Still if your board with anime and are forcing yourself to watch it, just stop watching. No ones going to hold it against you.

As for art being for the dump, or with no acquiring of knowledge. Which art are you talking about? Painting, writting, singing, fighting, sculpting, dancing, music performance, acting which of these? Are idoits generally attracted to art, yeah, do they get very far, no. If you are going to be good at any art you have to learn. Acquire knowledge on a number of subjects. Most of all humanity, so if you day all artist and art is dump, I say you're too stubid to look beyond your nose and understand the stuff. Yes, saying ALL art is dump is fighting words with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 10th, 2007, 4:42 pm 
Resident Scholar

Caiobrz wrote:
80's: 50 anime, very selected since it would not even get to be made if it did not impress producers, directors, etc..

Nah, too general. Thinking about the Anime-80s, rather unpleasant topics jump my mind:

Super Robots, Sentai and Sports Anime.

Thanks, but no thanks (although I did really like "Attack Nr. 1", "Saber Rider" and "SailorMoon").
I think the percentage of entertaining Anime was not higher 20 or 25 years ago.
I could take a look into Anime History for a more detailed comment... but not today...

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 13th, 2007, 10:07 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
I did what I could to split this topic as it was completely off topic at this point. Given that I can't split posts in half, some residual discussion is left in this thread, but for all intense and purposes most of it is in the other thread so if you wish to continue the discussion, do so there. (It is now in the Art Talk section of the forum).

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 18th, 2007, 11:26 am 
Newcomer

I don't really watch much anymore either, although it's not that my interest is leaving me. It's just that the anime itself has to step up it's game to keep my attention.

It's kind of like video games. I won't just play any video game for the sake of playing, it has to hold my interest which is why I'm VERY careful when it comes to buying games.

That and having graduated college and in search of employment, that stuff has taken a back seat.