Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 15th, 2017, 8:44 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Most disappointing game(s)!
PostPosted: November 7th, 2007, 12:20 am 

Location: A country which most people doesn't want to know about...
In this thread, 'disappointing' doesn't always mean worst or abysmal.It just doesn't meet your expectations.The most disappointing game I ever played is Soul Nomad and the World Eaters for PS2.Why? It sacrificed the best part of all previous Nippon-Icchi games,that is name-making part.It is fun to raise entire army of your own and makes you love every single soldiers you have raised,just like Phantom Brave or Disgaea series.Then Soul Nomad killed this part and makes it a Super Robot Wars-like gameplay and introduced a new squad system which consists maximum nine soldiers each.Having too many soldiers in single battle means you no longer recognize your soldiers by names anymore.Instead you just recognize every single of them by squads.I also hate that you need to have many soldiers in same class in the same squad,as example you need at least two archers who are lookalike to counter enemy archers.Without them your soldiers are easy target for enemies who had archers or other ranged-attack units.

I always love the name-making part because I can give unique names which the name generator didn't have like "Amulius the fighter" and "Pherusa the lady fighter" as examples in Phantom Brave and Disgaea series.But in Soul Nomad,I need to use the crappy name generator because I need to create many soldiers who had same classes in same squad like I need at least two priests to heal other units and two knights to perform defensive bonus.Of course you won't recognize them by names anymore.

I have nothing against its gameplay and storyline.The gameplay is good and nothing wrong about the story.So far Soul Nomad is an good game in overall.I just dislike having too many soldiers that have same classes in same squad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2007, 1:19 am 
Regular

DBZ: Legacy of Goku (GBA)

I remember all my friends were pumped up to play when this came out. Unfortunately, it kicked us in the balls and pimped-slapped us till we tried to pay it off...okay, maybe it was'nt that bad...but the boring gameplay, quick transition in hardness (I just killed Vegeta, and I get pwned by one Frieza soldier? WTF?) not to mention that ridiculous puzzle in the last part of the game. Though the following installments were decent, this one was such a disappointment.

Breath of Fire II (SNES) (GBA)

I loved the first Breath of Fire. The story had a lot of cool fights, cooler characters, and an awesome story. The sequel though...sucked. It did have some interesting scenes, but it really got under my skin fast. For one thing, they tried to incorporate action sequences into a top down RPG (for instance, after beating an opponent, you have to run and push her off the stadium floor so she does'nt get poisoned, which will allow her to fight in the upcoming boss battle, otherwise you will only have two characters), and it just didn't work. The characters stunk too...(the monkey and the plant dude especially) I did'nt care if someone died in a cutscene, as I probably wished them dead at some point. You can build a town, but if you don't know what to do, there's no point in developing it, as you'll gain nothing from it. You also can't bring along all your party members or fuse them, you instead fuse them with elementals, and only two of the fused creations are worth anything (and really, you'll only end up using one). As a final blow (not mentioning the story, which is just about a lame cult), you use ALL your mp to transform into a dragon for ONE TURN and other than transforming into a dragon, your character isn't that great against later bosses, so you have to create miso-balls which require a LOT of fishing.

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2007, 2:46 am 
Major Contributor

A recent game that turned out to be pretty disappointing is Hellgate London. Now don't get me wrong, I love playing the game and it's a lot of fun but I felt there is just so much more the developers could have done with the game, especially the single-player portion of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2007, 9:17 am 
Resident Scholar

I'd like to name a classic: DIABLO - the old, first DIABLO game... in my case for Playstation.
There was a lot of hype around it and I was recommended the game as a "must-play", so I borrowed it for a couple of days. I chose the fighter type and beat the crap out of Diablo. The story was nice and the end had a nice twist that I really liked, hell, I even bought a Diablo guide in Japan, but after I was through I called my friend and asked:
"Say, is there anything more to gameplay than just pressing the X-button in the fastest possible way???"
After the story wasn't new anymore and the strange names of the weapons you could find had lost their exotic air it turned boring pretty quickly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7th, 2007, 11:07 am 

Hoshigami - Ruining Blue Earth

This was supposed to be the next Final Fantasy Tactics. It's the hardest game you'll ever play. I ain't kidding. I've played lots, LOTS, of video games, and that one was in a league of it's own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9th, 2007, 12:27 am 

A game that was disappointing, Shadow Hearts. The orginal. Don't get me wrong I will propably love the game but the whole PS1 graphics and extremely fast and unadjustable judgement ring are making it a low priority.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9th, 2007, 12:52 am 
Post Master

I've been through my fair share of disappointing PS2 games (and I only have 14 ps2 games!)

Sonic Heroes, I don't want to waste my time with giving a good explanation, lets just say it is equal to garbage, no wait, garbage is better.

God of War, Not that I didn't like the game, but the cinematic camera really pisses me the fuck off.

Final Fantasy X-2, This being the only FF game I have played, I was highly disappointed. What the hell was up with the storyline?! And another cinematic camera is present, as well as idiotic little girls (I definitely stopped playing when I was forced to walk around in a bear suit and then the game trapped me in some wierd part of a city).

Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, I had high hopes for this game, but its just a basic boring hacknslash with cinematic clips from the movie. And another goddamn cinematic camera.

I have too many PC games to go through them and choose the disappointments.

I think I like ranting too much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 9th, 2007, 1:17 am 
Regular

Pokemon gold and silver- I loved the original pokemon games, but the sequel killed it. Team Rocket was just annoying, the new gyms sucked, the features (radio, emotions, unknown collecting, etc.) took the fun away, and when I beat the elite four, all I could say was..."oh...well..." I hated the new pokemon as well, and the Dogs...I despise those dogs. They were wimps, they were hard to catch, and they looked stupid. And your rival (you had a cool rival the first time around) was just a whiny bitch who offered no challenge. This was the last pokemon game I played (which shows my dissapointment).

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 22nd, 2007, 6:21 am 
Lurker

Most disappointing... hmm...

I'd have to say Musou Orochi for PS2. It was a crossover between Shin Sangoku ( Dynasty Warriors) and Sengoku (Samurai Warriors). For every step forward, they took another step back for this series. The game played like a cross of... well it played like Dynasty Warriors 4. All generals of the Sengoku series had their powers nerfed, the double jump was disabled, character switching was garbae, and so on and so forth. The only redeemable factor was the fact that basically everyone from the Musou series (save for Nu Wa and Fu Xi) was here in the same damn game. Other than that, it played like crap compared to their latest musou games like Sengoku Musou 2 Empires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2007, 10:39 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Mmsven wrote:
Cinematic camera really pisses me the fuck off.

What exactly do you mean when you say, cinimatic camera, and how does it differ from games where there is a "regular" camera system that doesn't piss you off?

Mmsven wrote:
Final Fantasy X-2, This being the only FF game I have played, I was highly disappointed. What the hell was up with the storyline?! And another cinematic camera is present, as well as idiotic little girls (I definitely stopped playing when I was forced to walk around in a bear suit and then the game trapped me in some wierd part of a city).

Always a good time when you start off with the sequel! :lol: (Not that I am really defending FFX-2, but when you start off with the second part you'll have to assume you're missing something).

For me it would probably have to be Vagrant Story. An old PSone game that was supposed to be a very good action type RPG kind of game, or something like that. The problem was that it was insanely difficult, or I sucked at it, and after a couple hours I got to a boss that was the most ridiculous guy I have ever fought against. I did basically no damage to him, missed all over the place, and nothing I did could hurt him much at all. After fighting him for like 30 minutes, getting absolutely nowhere, I threw in the towel and gave it up.

More recently, that would be FF12 which is my least favorite of the Final Fantasy games I have played, of which I have played basically them all, and coming in at the bottom of all of them just doesn't do it when it should only be getting better in terms of graphics, fighting, leveling systems, etc., even if they can't somehow come up with a better storyline.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2007, 12:51 pm 
Post Master

Acmurphy wrote:
Mmsven wrote:
Cinematic camera really pisses me the fuck off.

What exactly do you mean when you say, cinimatic camera, and how does it differ from games where there is a "regular" camera system that doesn't piss you off?

Cinematic cameras are where the views are in fixed positions, and when leave the range of a view, it brings you to the next. I prefer third person.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 23rd, 2007, 7:32 pm 
Regular

Mmsven wrote:
Cinematic cameras are where the views are in fixed positions, and when leave the range of a view, it brings you to the next. I prefer third person.

Mmm, I find it depends. In some games like horror or adventure games, cinematic cameras help set the mood and suspense of a scene. In pure action or strategy games though, I agree that cinematic cameras would be a hindrance rather than an aid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 30th, 2007, 4:35 pm 

Yeah I'm putting FFXII I completely forgot about it.

It was the first FF game I ever played and it sucked. I hated the combat system, I hated who leveling up only increased the hp/mp of my characters,. the characters were shallow and the plot preditable.

As for FFx-2. Not a terrible game, unless of course you didn't play threw FFX, which then yes it suck. Thing that make me not like that game is that it could have been a great game. That is if A.) you didn't have to spend most of your time running all over the map to find the story all but wasting you time. B.) the combat system sucked even when you got used to it. it came down to basically memorizing the commands positions and entering the command as quickly as possible. C.) Everytime the game seemed to reach beyond a bunch of whiny little girls obsessed with having a good time and getting new clothes and become something more serious and meaningful it went back to a buch of whiny little girls obsessed with having a good time and getting new clothes.

Post subject: Re: Most disappointing game(s)!
PostPosted: November 30th, 2007, 11:31 pm 

Amex_Yohko wrote:
In this thread, 'disappointing' doesn't always mean worst or abysmal.It just doesn't meet your expectations.The most disappointing game I ever played is Soul Nomad and the World Eaters for PS2.Why? etc.

I don't know, I mean I thought the Squad system added a bit of fresh air into the N1 line. Although I haven't played it for get long, and I do admit I am kind of lost at times looking at my squads and personnel.... but it does seem to be missing something. Like I'm not really getting into the game unlike the other N1 games. My main gripe though... is the lack of the Disgaea Archer character. She had made it as a class in every N1 game until now D:

Deus Ex 2: The Invisible War.

Universal Ammo. No Headshots. Tight lameass environments. And still no combat AI.

WHAT?! Setting aside that it had a predecessor to live up to.... I mean theres only so much worse you can make it. I mean they just about took everything GOOD about DX1, which is about everything complicated and tried to make it more mainstream, but... how is UNIVERSAL AMMO and NO HEADSHOTS and NO COMBAT AI meant to be any mainstream? I didn't mind the new inventory and augmentation system, and lack of skill system, even if I did like them. It was like receiving a slap in the face and a kick in the balls.

Post subject: Re: Most disappointing game(s)!
PostPosted: December 1st, 2007, 6:44 am 
Regular

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Deus Ex 2: The Invisible War.

Universal Ammo. No Headshots. Tight lameass environments. And still no combat AI.

WHAT?! Setting aside that it had a predecessor to live up to.... I mean theres only so much worse you can make it. I mean they just about took everything GOOD about DX1, which is about everything complicated and tried to make it more mainstream, but... how is UNIVERSAL AMMO and NO HEADSHOTS and NO COMBAT AI meant to be any mainstream? I didn't mind the new inventory and augmentation system, and lack of skill system, even if I did like them. It was like receiving a slap in the face and a kick in the balls.

Oh yeah, totally agreed there. I was sooo disappointed that Deus Ex 2 did away with the skills system. The Universal ammo made sense, given the great technological advancements in the game world, but I agree that it felt odd and a bit of a let down. I thought the AI in DX1 was better; enemies would run away and raise the alarm if they could, you had the option of going totally non-lethal the entire game through. The one thing DX2 had going for it was much better graphics.