Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 21st, 2017, 10:07 pm


All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2007, 1:11 am 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: May 15th, 2007, 2:23 pm
Posts: 430
Location: Brazil
Acmurphy wrote:
Nice to see someone else out there likes Gunparade March, or even knows about it Shocked


How could I not know such masterpiece? =p I'm also desperatelly trying to put my hands into the spin off Gunparade Orchestra but seams nobody fansubed it completely. Here is what I think of that title: http://www.daisuki.com.br/anime/gunparade_march

Quote:
This is probably a byproduct of my wanting to watch stuff with an English dub


Really, what makes you want to watch it dubbed? dubs are a killer, even if they are well done, there is never nothing as good as the original. I'm the kind of guy that won't go to the theathers watch a movie if it's dubbed even if I want badly to watch said movie... can't stand dubs ><;

As for watching late shows, I think you are on the right track, because than you have a lot of time to let fandom settle down, people watch and comment, others post reviews. The titles you mentioned that are good are really awesome, but I bet you did not watch them just by chance, there were lots of good reviews at the foruns to point you to them ;) One of the best things on watching something that is settled is that you can get quality feedback from others who watched it.

Quote:
aka being well received to a almost ludicrous level, it must at least have a relatively high level of quality.


Naruto anyone? :roll:

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2007, 1:33 am 
Offline
Post Master

Joined: March 18th, 2007, 4:11 am
Posts: 1512
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Caiobrz wrote:
Really, what makes you want to watch it dubbed? dubs are a killer, even if they are well done, there is never nothing as good as the original.

Some people would rather recieve dialogue through the sense of hearing then the sense of sight. It makes it easier to focus on the actions and expressions of characters because you don't have to look at the subs.

_________________
Myanimelist.net List


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2007, 1:47 am 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: May 15th, 2007, 2:23 pm
Posts: 430
Location: Brazil
Quote:
Some people would rather recieve dialogue through the sense of hearing then the sense of sight. It makes it easier to focus on the actions and expressions of characters because you don't have to look at the subs.


It's just a practice subject. I follow both, but I read fast enough. You see, here in Brazil every movie is subbed (except children's, and those the stupid distributors think are for children ¬¬), so we kind of get used on fast reading. Also, since I'm a huge fan of both Japanese language and the very distinct voice acting they offer, I can't let it go the original voice ;)

But I understand your point.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2007, 2:35 am 
Offline
Resident Admin
User avatar

Joined: March 11th, 2007, 11:19 am
Posts: 2452
Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Caiobrz wrote:
How could I not know such masterpiece? =p I'm also desperatelly trying to put my hands into the spin off Gunparade Orchestra but seams nobody fansubed it completely. Here is what I think of that title: http://www.daisuki.com.br/anime/gunparade_march

I was waiting for the fansub on GP Orchestra to finish as well, but they seemed to stop. Hopefully someone will pick it up and licenses it, or finish subbing it, since it has quality origins and could be great. ...lol, I was wondering why you gave me a link to the review in Portuguese. I was going to say you overestimate me, then I noticed I could switch it to English, that was a big help :P

Caiobrz wrote:
Really, what makes you want to watch it dubbed? dubs are a killer, even if they are well done, there is never nothing as good as the original. I'm the kind of guy that won't go to the theaters watch a movie if it's dubbed even if I want badly to watch said movie... can't stand dubs ><;

I sometimes think I am some sort of enigma due to my English language preference. While I do tire of constantly reading subs, I have seen so much material subtitled that reading them really isn't the problem. The first thing is that I have no problem with most English dubs that were produced within the past ~7 years, a number of them I really enjoy, though there are exceptions of course. The other problem is that when I watch something subbed, it seems that because I am now reading the subtitles I subconsciously block out the Japanese voices. When I review a title, I have to specifically concentrate on the voices to hear how they are in relation to the character so I can actually say something about the Japanese language. While I have seen probably around 200 titles subtitled, I cannot remember the Japanese voices for a single one. Nor have I ever recognized a single voice actor as being the same from a previous show I saw in Japanese. (I have favorites in English and can pick the voice actor out rather well and list off other titles I recognize his/her voice from). It's not that I don't hear them, obviously I do, its that they, for some reason, do not trigger something in my mind. It's almost like I just figure the Japanese voices are going to be correctly matched and voiced so I don't even bother registering them on a deeper than surface level. Thus, in reality, I am completely neutral on all Japanese dubs and will only chose to watch them when they are either the only choice, or the English dub lies outside even my, apparently, extremely high level of tolerance :lol:

Caiobrz wrote:
As for watching late shows, I think you are on the right track, because than you have a lot of time to let fandom settle down, people watch and comment, others post reviews. The titles you mentioned that are good are really awesome, but I bet you did not watch them just by chance, there were lots of good reviews at the forums to point you to them ;) One of the best things on watching something that is settled is that you can get quality feedback from others who watched it.

While it is true that by waiting I get a much larger picture of the title overall, I don't really use reviews as a deciding factor on what I am going to watch. Obviously if it is a well received title I will be more inclined to watch it, but I primarily go by the synopsis of the title, and how much it sounds like my cup of tea. Though it is certainly reassuring if the reviews say it is good, but bad reviews wouldn't deter me from a title if it sounds like something I would like. That is why I watched Gendo Senki after it was panned by the critics. Fantasy adventure, sign me up! Sadly, it was just average :cry: (I had high hopes despite the negative reviews) It won some award for being the worst movie of the year too...

Caiobrz wrote:
Naruto anyone? :roll:

Well, you are going to have to take into account the genera and age group a title is targeting when you look at the hype for a show. Naruto is is probably a great show for 13 year old boys that are into really long shounen titles. Though in the case of Naruto, the hype doesn't fully carry over to reviewers nor is it exceedingly well rated by the masses, it is hyped by the people that enjoy it to an extreme level. Since Naruto is targeted towards a younger audience and since they enjoy it so much they end up going a little crazy over it :? . If I were thirteen, I would probably be all over Naruto, but no hype is going to get me to watch a show that is not something I would like to see. I guess I should rephrase it as, relatively high quality as long as it is a genera you are interested in watching. Naruto doesn't strike me as a title you would be interested in, not with its 200+ episodes anyway :lol:

_________________
Animetric Owner and Reviewer | My Anime List
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2007, 6:00 am 
Offline
Major Contributor
User avatar

Joined: April 26th, 2007, 7:33 pm
Posts: 1210
Location: Austin, Texas
Acmurphy wrote:
Well, you are going to have to take into account the genera and age group a title is targeting when you look at the hype for a show. Naruto is is probably a great show for 13 year old boys that are into really long shounen titles. Though in the case of Naruto, the hype doesn't fully carry over to reviewers nor is it exceedingly well rated by the masses, it is hyped by the people that enjoy it to an extreme level. Since Naruto is targeted towards a younger audience and since they enjoy it so much they end up going a little crazy over it :? . If I were thirteen, I would probably be all over Naruto, but no hype is going to get me to watch a show that is not something I would like to see. I guess I should rephrase it as, relatively high quality as long as it is a genera you are interested in watching. Naruto doesn't strike me as a title you would be interested in, not with its 200+ episodes anyway :lol:


The problem with the Naruto anime has less to do with it's target audience (or that its kind of a rip of of Hunter X Hunter) but with its excessive amount of fillers. Sure it has 200+ episodes, but out of those, at least half is filler. Hell they aired two years straight worth of fillers before they went back to the manga material with Shippuden. Incidentally, I didn't watch a single one of those filler eps during that time. Did I miss anything? Naw.

As for Gundam, well I basically agree with what you said Caiobrz, however, when I watch a TV series, I don't just watch it for character development or for a good storyline. I like Gundam because it's just something that's fun to watch without having to feel committed to the series. As I've always said, an anime doesn't have to be great to be fun and enjoyable. So what if it's cliched? So what if its predictable? As long as its enjoyable, it's worth watching IMO.

Also a major reason why Gundam series generally don't have very deep character development is because the real stars of the show aren't the humans but the Gundams and the other mobile suits. Besides, who wants to watch a bunch of story episodes in a series that's all about giant mecha fighting each other?

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2007, 12:40 pm 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: May 15th, 2007, 2:23 pm
Posts: 430
Location: Brazil
Quote:
.lol, I was wondering why you gave me a link to the review in Portuguese.


hmm seams it's a bug, it should auto-select english from your location =/

Quote:
Well, you are going to have to take into account the genera and age group a title is targeting when you look at the hype for a show.


I don't kind of think it's that different, I see a lot of teens and near 20's all hyped about Naruto, and to me, sorry for any fans, I see the target audience of Gundan in the exact same age group. They want to sell toys, little figures etc >.> I know some of the Gundam series are targeted for an older audience, but not all =p

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2007, 12:46 pm 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: May 15th, 2007, 2:23 pm
Posts: 430
Location: Brazil
Quote:
As for Gundam, well I basically agree with what you said Caiobrz, however, when I watch a TV series, I don't just watch it for character development or for a good storyline. I like Gundam because it's just something that's fun to watch without having to feel committed to the series. As I've always said, an anime doesn't have to be great to be fun and enjoyable. So what if it's cliched? So what if its predictable? As long as its enjoyable, it's worth watching IMO.


Yeap, there where I'm kind of different from most people: I have very little time to watch anime (ok, not that little, but if I have twice the time I would fill it out with anime and would still think I don't have enough =p), so I got used to be picky, and what drives ME to like an anime? character development and/or character+plot driven titles.

Sure, I love fun and mindless stuff from once in a while, but that's when I want to relax and turn off my brain.

Gundam is somewhere in between: not good enough for when I want content, not fun/light enough for when I want to relax, so it's a no in every aspect, know what I mean?

We all have our preferences, Gundam and such are just not on mine. If I ever have PLENTY of time to spare, I might watch Gundam, and if I am in the "light/fun" mood I might love it, but first I must become millionaire so I can quit my job :roll:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

edit Sorry for the double-post,I was under the impression I was editing xD~

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2007, 6:19 pm 
Offline
Post Master

Joined: March 18th, 2007, 4:11 am
Posts: 1512
Location: British Columbia, Canada
About the Gundam discussion, since theres so many Gundam series which have the same concepts, I just watched Gundam Seed and didn't bother with watching any others. I am not a fan of mech and giant robots because its way overused, but I did find Gundam Seed entertaining enough, I don't recommend the movie versions of GS, they suck, its all action and almost no story (TV is much better).

_________________
Myanimelist.net List


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2007, 6:48 pm 
Offline
Major Contributor
User avatar

Joined: April 26th, 2007, 7:33 pm
Posts: 1210
Location: Austin, Texas
Well I have time to watch anime because I don't really watch TV. So besides the three or four TV series that I watch, the rest is all anime.

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2007, 9:23 pm 
Offline
Regular
User avatar

Joined: May 15th, 2007, 2:23 pm
Posts: 430
Location: Brazil
lol, I watch about 3~4 13-episodes series a week and I think that's too little >.>

If I lived in Japan and had enough free time I would probably follow all of them XD~

So people, which titles airing now are worth the try?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 4th, 2007, 5:36 am 
Offline
Junior Member
User avatar

Joined: March 15th, 2007, 7:38 am
Posts: 118
Location: A country which most people doesn't want to know about...
For now,I'm more interested on older anime.The new ones just don't appeal me.The most interesting one that I found is Gundam 00, maybe because the hype surrounds it.However I need to wait at least for several months for the hype to cools down because I'm afraid this will be new Gundam Seed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 4th, 2007, 5:01 pm 
Offline
Resident Scholar
User avatar

Joined: May 13th, 2007, 7:57 am
Posts: 4121
Location: Trier, Germany
Caiobrz wrote:
lol, I watch about 3~4 13-episodes series a week and I think that's too little

You seem to have a lot of time to kill.
What's your occupation, if I may ask?

_________________
42317
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 4th, 2007, 7:20 pm 
Offline
Major Contributor
User avatar

Joined: April 26th, 2007, 7:33 pm
Posts: 1210
Location: Austin, Texas
Caiobrz wrote:
So people, which titles airing now are worth the try?


-Minami-ke
-Moyashimon
-Hayate no Gotoku (started a couple of seasons ago but is still airing)
-Shakugan no Shana II (well even if you haven't seen the first season)
-Sketchbook ~full color's~
-CLANNAD
-Kodomo no Jikan (well this one depends a little)
-Ghost Hound

_________________
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 4th, 2007, 9:39 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: March 16th, 2007, 8:22 am
Posts: 795
Location: The Home of Terminally Stupid
Where'd you find those anime!!?? I need to KNOW!!!! The only thing I have worth watching is Blood+. PLEASE TELL ME!!!

_________________
I'm back, and my spelling is actually worse then before. Though my grammar is better. You have been warned.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: November 4th, 2007, 10:08 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: March 15th, 2007, 11:57 pm
Posts: 755
When you download fansubs all the time, you naturally know where to get them... or how to find places to get them.

Unfortunately we can't tell you how!

_________________
Image
http://depleted.wordpress.com/
The contents of a deranged mind.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group