Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 21st, 2017, 6:28 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Anime vs. Manga
PostPosted: October 27th, 2007, 3:36 am 
Regular

Okay, here's something I've been wondering...how does anime stack up against its manga counterpart? Give a series that has been released in both mediums, and then give your opinion.

Trigun vs. Trigun/Trigun Maximum

I have to say that I really like Trigun Maximum. Each of the Gung-ho-guns has a backstory and they are'nt (for the most part) the mindless psychos of the anime series. Also, Wolfwood gets in a really kickass fight when he bites it in this one

Also, Knives (who really could take out the world in the manga) and Legato (sweet mother of crap! He's like a superpowered Corpse in the manga) are Mad and love every minute of it. Then again, the anime didn't have all the manga chapters, so that has to be considered. Not to mention, Wolfwood's death at the church is one of the more powerful scenes I've ever seen (The manga has a scene that's almost as good, but "almost" is the key word). So while I'm going with Maximum on this one, I really did like Trigun (anime).

Naruto vs. Naruto- The fillers (which seemed to only be there to fuel pairing fans) were just the final nail in the anime, in my opinion, I also never cared for any of the voice actors or the art style. The movies are even worse. Manga hands down.

Elfen lied vs. Elfen lied- I've already said in other threads that I prefer the manga, which tells an even darker story and has some rather risque humor (let's just say that Nyu has a very...intimate...moment with Youka). Also it has a girl who has to wear a diaper (Nyu has a similar moment with her). HOWEVER: the manga is U-G-L-Y. Characters really look bad (not squiggles and lines bad, but compared to the anime).

Neon Genesis Evangelion vs. Neon Genesis Evangelion
I only read a bit of the manga...because I got so damn bored. It's pretty much there so ShinjixRei fans can get more material to work with (I used to write fanfics, in fact, RxS fans are what made me stop writing). On the upshot, Kaoru does kill a kitten in later chapters (probably because Shinji was doing his business over Asuka's comatose body) :twisted: I prefer the anime.

Rahxephon vs. Rahxephon
I'd be interested in hearing about this matchup. I have'nt watched the series but the manga was'nt all that great from what I remember.

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2007, 4:33 am 

Chrono Crusade.

The anime pulls off some weird snot about Rosette being the Apostle of Justice and these random hints that she is the reincarnation of Jesus or some whack. And then the ending is just plain weird. The manga has an epic sky battle of epic proportions....

Usually the original medium is better really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2007, 6:22 am 
Major Contributor

My 13 cents:

Full Metal Alchemist:

Manga was superior IMO. They did a better job with the story and as a result feels more coherant than the anime. Plus they actually explain the reason why Al's soul is able to remain intact within a suit of armor

Bleach:

Again, the manga version is better for a number of reasons. No filler or interruptions of the storyline like in the anime version. More consistent art designs and quality of art in general. And of course, more detailed fight sequences. However, the anime has its merits like actually animating the fights as opposed to the manga. While I said the manga version has more detailed fights, it definitely looks better when animated. It also makes it easier to understand what's going on during the fights, which isn't always very clear in the manga version.

Yakitate Japan!

Anime version had some censorship done, so some of the racier jokes were either modified or completely edited out. And again, the manga is more detailed. The manga also had better artwork.

Those are just a few off the top of my head. Basically, manga is usually better for story telling and anime is better for action.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2007, 3:19 pm 
Resident Scholar

I'll give you something general:

I don't like Manga very much. Yeah, stand in awe and witness...
Thing is, I like Anime, like, "moving pictures", on the one hand, and I like books, serious books with no pictures, biographies, about special and general knowledge, literature, on the other hand. And if I had a third hand I'd add "Anime Art Books" to the list. That's as close as it gets.
But the inbetween - comics and Manga - gives me a feeling of alienation. This medium doesn't reach me, although I have read issues of several series. For example, "DragonBall" or "Slam Dunk", "Love Hina", "Akira", "X", "Kamikaze Kaitô Jeanne", "Hokuto no Ken" (the Anime version of all these I liked, more or less, they were at least worth the time)... but only few have found "shelter" in my room, like "Gunmu", (the original) "Pokemon" ("Dengeki Pikachuu") and "SailorMoon" (plus a handful of European comic issues)... "Airmaster" will follow, maybe "Skip Beat", but that's it, at least for now, and I guess I will stay very, very picky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2007, 6:02 pm 

I'm with 42317. I like anime over Manga. Why? One manga's take FOREVER to get threw their runs. On average 8 months and that's the short 4 volume ones. Most of the good ones, like Bleach, Negima, Love Hina run for 10+ volumes. Given that most series that reach over 10 volumes only come out with a volume every 3 months that does murder to my desire and interest to see a series threw. The Only series that I've watch and didn't feel myself foring to finish was Ruroni Kenshin and Love Hina and that's because I started picking it up at the library after it was completely published. Also so many of the scenes are done better in anime merely because you can see movement and hear music rather then imagening them. Added to this I've only found a handfull and I do mean handful of anime that have managed to keep my interest threw out their run. Most I lose interest in, well because of how little is generally in a volume and the amount of time between volumes.

However I will say as with everything that the orginal medium of anything, whether live action, video game or book are usually best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2007, 9:36 pm 

Location: A country which most people doesn't want to know about...
For some reasons,I found Law of Ueki anime is better than manga.Maybe because the artwork in anime is better than manga.This is the first anime which I think its anime better than than manga.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2007, 12:18 am 

I still need to finish Trigun Maximum, but I can tell the manga has a better story and characterization. On the other hand the anime has music and art and animated scenes which really makes a difference.

Berserk. the anime was kickass, 4-5 years ago when i first watched it. It blew my mind, especially the end. I know that the animation is not good, but even so it captured my attention ocmpletely. Obviously when I started the manga, I lost interest in the anime, because the manga simply has better art, it's darker, continues where the anime finished and it's just epic. The greatest.

Beck, anime was cool, very detailed instruments, especially stringed instruments. Quite a few cool songs. The bad thing is that the art quality decreased with each episode. Manga goes on, the art is great, it has a lot of comments on real musicians, a few cameo appearances, and the instruments are based on real ones, gibson, epiphone, fender, gretsch, musicman, reed paul smith, tama, dw, martin. bah those are the ones that come to mind right now. Yes if you are a musician or a hobbyist musician you ought to read this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2007, 4:24 am 

spazmaster666 wrote:

Yakitate Japan!

Anime version had some censorship done, so some of the racier jokes were either modified or completely edited out.

Yeah, that was quite a lot. I esp. remember this one scene in the manga that was pretty lewd was replaced by a Naruto spoof in the anime. Sad world...

On the other hand, I've stopped watching Naruto Shipuuden for the sheer horridness of the adaptation. Seriously, just watch it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2007, 6:17 am 
Major Contributor

Dei wrote:
On the other hand, I've stopped watching Naruto Shipuuden for the sheer horridness of the adaptation. Seriously, just watch it.

I still watch it, but I just skip around for the fight scenes . . . :lol:

I dunno, I'd almost prefer it if they just did what they did in the first series which is get the manga episodes out of the way and then just air fillers for another year or so. With the current way they are doing it, they are basically incorporating filler material into each manga-based episode. At least in the first series, we can just skip the fillers altogether which is a little harder to do with Shippuden. :?

That reminds me that Beck is definitely a better anime than manga since music and playing instruments is just so much easier to express in anime form than in manga. That's why I was kinda sad that they only did one season. I would have loved for the series to continue.

Post subject: Re: Anime vs. Manga
PostPosted: December 20th, 2010, 12:53 am 

Planetes: the manga and the anime, in my opinion, are equal. I think the main difference lies in the fact that the manga goes a little further into the story and that the anime had the storyline developed in a more subtle and engaging fashion than the manga did, leaving some surprising events to be discovered by the reader later in the story. Yuri's story for example.

Great Teacher Onizuka: the only reason one should watch the anime series is because the opening themes and some of the the ending themes are outstanding. The manga takes the story further and there are prequels and one side story available.

Monster: it is a win win situation, no matter what you choose you'll get an excellent story and incredible characters.

One Piece: the manga is by far the better choice. The anime might have the animated fights but the quality of the animation and art is that of a long time running series: disappointing. There is also the issue with filler arcs, although only a few.

Victorian Romance Emma: both are good choices. I like the art in the anime better though.

Honey and Clover: both are very good, but I would say the anime series is all in all a more enjoyable experience.

Gunslinger Girl: the manga goes further into the story, but both are very good. I tend to like the art better in the manga when compared to both seasons of the animated counterpart but the anime series did an awesome job with all the fights which are really worth watching, plus the music, which in the first season is simply excellent. I say watch the anime and then read the manga.

Hunter x Hunter: the manga is still one arc ahead, but the anime is a lot cooler looking than the manga. Plus there are some changes in the story (very few ones) that make it more enjoyable (imo).

Trigun Now that I've finished the manga I can give my opinion on this one. The manga is by far better story and characterization wise, however the art is a disaster most of the times, it's almost impossible to follow the action scenes. So, watch the anime and then read the manga to know how it was suppose to end, because they have different outcomes.

Post subject: Re: Anime vs. Manga
PostPosted: January 11th, 2011, 5:28 am 
Lurker

I own two series of Manga currently - Full Metal Panic!, and Love Hina.
I think the Love Hina manga is WAY better than the anime, because it actually finishes properly - i.e. Keitaro and Naru actually get married (yay)!
FMP! is a lot more complex because the manga and anime series don't correspond exactly to one another, so it's difficult to make an adequate comparison. Especially since most of the manga FMP!: Sigma happens after the end of FMP!: The Second Raid series, and judging by how many novels there are, there is still quite a lot of FMP! to come!
However, I will point out that I don't recall seeing the attack of the Bonta-kuns from FMP?: Fumoffu! in any of the manga, but it is just awesome. Makes me grin every time I see it - hence the avatar. :P2:
So, for FMP, i think I really need both, and when novels 4&5 (being carried by Tokyopop now that ADV has gone bust) come out later this year, I shall buy them, and read from Book 1 onwards. Hopefully by then someone will have done something about Sigma, and let me actually read hard copies in English.