Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 16th, 2017, 7:17 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any good suggestions?
PostPosted: March 16th, 2007, 8:48 am 

Well since no ones asked yet, I'll go ahead do so. Any of you got suggestion for good nonhentai anime? I've seen so many I'm trying to find a few that are worth picking up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 16th, 2007, 12:51 pm 

Well, Elfen Lied is one of my personal favs, what types are you interested in?

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 17th, 2007, 6:24 am 
Newcomer

Elfen Lied is definitely awesome...if you're looking for something a bit more light hearted than that try chobits for a similar story line (kinda).

I also recommend (in no particular order):

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (and Second GiG which is season 2)
Samurai 7
Ah! My Goddess
Burst Angel
Tenjou Tenge (lots of fan service)

There are many others out there but those are the few i can think of at the moment...

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 17th, 2007, 7:02 am 
Newcomer

Picking up as in buying the DVDs? Well if so then I'd suggest the following:

Last Exile
Planetes
Jubei-Chan 2
GiTS SAC

That's all I could come up with atm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 17th, 2007, 11:15 am 

Thanks for the references.

But really I like a little of everything, from Chobits to EVA to Mouse to Elfen Lied.

But Burst Angel, Tenjou Tenge,Planetes, Jubei-Chan 2 got it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 17th, 2007, 2:01 pm 
Newcomer

How about the Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars saga? They're one of my favs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20th, 2007, 1:14 am 
Newcomer

Some classics that i like are...

Cyber City Oedo 808 (watch it in English dubbs, you wont regret it)
Guyver (old and remake)
Vampire Hunter D

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20th, 2007, 4:20 am 

The ones I would reccomend are...(Only some...I love too many)
Series...

Berserk if you're gonna follow with the manga..if not you're not gonna enjoy the ending...
Last Exile is great too and what I've seen of Eureka 7 too...
Oh and Wolf's Rain...

Movies...

Vampire Hunter D...the recent one...havent seen the old one...
Perfect Blue...messes with your mind a bit...
Both Ghost in the Shells are great...oh and the movie for Cowboy Bepop...

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20th, 2007, 2:02 pm 

Yeah those were all great, Haven't seen Beserk or Cyber City Oedo 808 , but own of the more recent ones. Told you i own a lot.

About the old Vampire hunter D movie, you're not talking Bloodlust right? Own that one. The other one kinda sucks. D is completely out of Character, the scenes are murky and badly drawn, the voice acting's crap over all it a smoking pile of dung don't waist your time watching it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20th, 2007, 2:27 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
The Adict wrote:
Yeah those were all great, Haven't seen Beserk or Cyber City Oedo 808 , but own of the more recent ones. Told you i own a lot.

About the old Vampire hunter D movie, you're not talking Bloodlust right? Own that one. The other one kinda sucks. D is completely out of Character, the scenes are murky and badly drawn, the voice acting's crap over all it a smoking pile of dung don't waist your time watching it.

Well first off, you should definitely check out Berserk.

Secondly, WHAT! I gotta say I have a much different view of the first VHD movie than you do. Maybe its a byproduct of it being one of the first anime movies I ever saw, but it isn't nearly that bad. It was made in 1985 so yes, the animation is dated, but the character designs are fine. The voice acting on the English side isn't a problem, for me anyway. If nothing else you can always watch it subbed. D isn't "out of character," having read the first VHD novel, which the movie is based upon, D pretty much acts like he does in the novel. Although, the movie does differ some, for the obvious reason of time constraints, D's character wasn't changed. I mean, I can see where some people could have problems with it, but if you are a D fan, you should definitively check it out and form your own opinion.

*General post: Remember to not just list titles, make sure to write something about each so people have at least a general idea of what they are about. Refer to rule 16 for further explanation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20th, 2007, 8:51 pm 

Okay, maybe the orginal Vampire Hunter D movei isn't quiet as bad as I made it sound but you have to admit it's no where near as good as Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust or the novels. And when i said D's character changed I don't remember him ever being as much of a chatter box in the novels. Not mad just stating my opinion, it's been a year or so since i've watched the orignal movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 20th, 2007, 9:58 pm 
Resident Admin

The Adict wrote:
Okay, maybe the orginal Vampire Hunter D movei isn't quiet as bad as I made it sound but you have to admit it's no where near as good as Vampire Hunter D:Bloodlust or the novels. And when i said D's character changed I don't remember him ever being as much of a chatter box in the novels. Not mad just stating my opinion, it's been a year or so since i've watched the orignal movie.

Well I do agree that it isn't as good as Bloodlust, and I do really enjoy the novels as well.

Here's a quick snip-it from the book when hes speaking to Dan, pg 56: "Listen to me,... I promise you and your sister I'll kill the Noble. I always keep my word. Now you have to promise me something... From here on out, if you want to scream and cry, that's your prerogative. Do whatever you like. But whatever you do, don't make your sister cry. If you think your crying will set her off too, then hold it in. If you're being selfish and your sister starts to cry, make her smile again. You're a man after all. Okay?... Okay, then do your big brother a favor and feed his horse. I'll be heading out on business soon."

He may do more talking there than in all the books combined! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 31st, 2007, 7:01 am 
Newcomer

I'm gonna have to concur with Mr.Murphy on this one, hi there by the way, the old D movie is a classic. It's like the Casablanca of anime. It's a rite of passage many go through, but few appreciate.

I'd have to recommend Bleach. It's in the present, but has a 'samurais meet spirits' kind of thing, with a bit of the exorcist mixed in it.

I'd definitely go with Berserk if you like medieval style anime, but without too much fantasy. Demons are the norm in the series. It has a strong, very sad plot, and like Fresno said, you're gonna want the manga afterwards.

If you want humour, pick up Green Green. An all-boys school in the middle of nowhere gets a visit from an all-girls school. Instant comedy. Lots of fan service, if that's your thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 6th, 2007, 1:13 am 
Resident Admin

Glad to have a fellow Berserk and VHD fan among us!

Bleach is a series that I gave up on after episode 45, and with the filler episodes I don't even know if its worth getting back into. So I guess my question is, how is Bleach after epi. 45 and is it worth watching from there?

Green Green I have only heard commented about in disgust. Is it actually any good?

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 6th, 2007, 2:39 pm 
Newcomer

Regarding Bleach, make an effort and watch it 'till episode 60 at least. That's the last one I saw, and I must say, it left me pleasantly surprised. The plot moved along, and it got an interesting and somehow unexpected twist. At least I didn't see it coming. Ichigo finally reaches sayan level 2, and you get a partial answer about the hollow mask that keeps saving his life.
If you still don't like it after that, then it just wasn't meant to be. At least you'll remember Kon fondly. And I hope you won't hold it against me, making you watch more episodes and all.

I have to warn you about Green Green, I'm not sure if it's for everyone. The jokes are all about a bunch of high school students trying to score. They are good ones, though. The only gripe I have against, is the lameness of the plot.
If you watch it for the humour, then you've got nothing to worry about.