Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 7:19 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2007, 6:34 am 
Resident Scholar

Caiobrz wrote:
I don't think animetric would fall into that since the people here are very select and critic.

That's because the average IQ on Animetric is at least 10 points higher than on other Anime boards! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2007, 8:28 am 
Regular

Just 10? =p

BTW that also explains why people are so annoyed with the quality drop in recent anime, while "other Anime boards" don't seam to notice it ......................... yet ><

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2007, 8:29 am 
Major Contributor

Caiobrz wrote:
Curiously enough, I never thought Code Geass was that popular. In fact, I only noticed exagerated fandom until later the show =/ I started watching because a trustworth friend recommended ;)

It was on the big anime forum that I often frequent. But I guess Code Geass wasn't quite on the level of popularity as Gundam but as I've said, just because something is popular doesn't necessarily mean it's good or bad. And even if people I know in real life recommend something, it still may not be something you enjoy watching. We always take a risk with this kind of stuff.

I guess Haruhi Suzumiya would have been a better example of a really hyped up anime which ended up being good anyway.

Caiobrz wrote:
For instance, a title that is still beginning but I will avoid based on "bunch of idiots praising it" is Clannad. I don't even know what it is about, but I heard so much about it on foruns like animesuki (warning, bunch of idiots detected LOL) or gallery sites that I don't even bother to know =p

It's popular because it's a KyoAni production. After Haruhi and Lucky Star, KyoAni is a pretty big name in the world of anime fandom. Not to mention it's based on a game, which automatically makes it more anticipated since a lot of people already know the plot and the characters that may be involved. But Clannad's been pretty good so far.

Caiobrz wrote:
Just remembered another fandom freak: GUNDAM

I will never watch a single one =p and by most friends who share my tastes, I'm not missing anything

Gundam is an acquired taste that's for sure, but I'm a mecha fan and I always have been so I watch and enjoy pretty much any Gundam that comes out. Even when people were complaining about how disappointing Gundam SEED Destiny was I actually thoroughly enjoyed the series. It's kind of like Jackie Chan movies. Even the pretty bad ones like The Tuxedo were still enjoyable to me.

Which reminds me that you should check out Gundam 00 since it's not really shaping up to be like a Gundam series in the traditional sense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2007, 5:53 pm 
Resident Scholar

Caiobrz wrote:
Just 10? =p

At least! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2007, 6:48 pm 
Post Master

42317 wrote:
That's because the average IQ on Animetric is at least 10 points higher than on other Anime boards! :lol:

And Animetric is at least 50 points higher then on any game forum in existence. I love this place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2007, 7:31 pm 
Regular

Mmsven wrote:
42317 wrote:

And Animetric is at least 50 points higher then on any game forum in existence. I love this place.

Not going to argue with either of those statements. :twisted:

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 26th, 2007, 10:47 pm 

Umm guys, YES WE ARE SMARTER! Also we OLDER and more EXPERIENCED, well most of us. I have yet to find a site where most of the frequent poster have seen over 100 anime and a good number over 200 or even 300. Or I could be wrong. Yes I've goten in trouble for sayting similar things but besides MMsven and such on here I've yet to meet a noob to anime that has good taste.

Also yeah the old we get more anime exposure is a factor too. Another I think, somebody else braught this up, but I personaly have seen so many anime that I'm starting to get then whole same old same old feel and boring.

For the record Gundam is to large to hate everything in it. So choose one of the smale series and give it a go. Gundam is worth at least a ty. Just stay far far away from SD one of the WORST anime of all time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2007, 1:09 am 
Regular

Quote:
Gundam is an acquired taste that's for sure, but I'm a mecha fan and I always have been so I watch and enjoy pretty much any Gundam that comes out. ...Which reminds me that you should check out Gundam 00 since it's not really shaping up to be like a Gundam series in the traditional sense.

Not true, I'm a huge mecha/sci-fi and I totally utterly despise Gundan. All of it. And I really extensive tireless researches because every once in a while I get to myself "It can't be that bad, I have to watch it". Than people tell me who the plot is like, make some comparisions, and I always don't even start.

In fact, anything with "gundam" in the name turns me off ... I almost did not watch masterpiece "Gunparade March" because that "Gunparade..." kept reminding me of Gundam.

BTW, no chance, I don't even venture inside Gundam 00 threads, as much as people say it's better, different, etc... I read: "you, yes you who can't handle Gundam ... Gundam 00 is different, you will like, come!" =p

Quote:
For the record Gundam is to large to hate everything in it.

* raises hand *

I don't like to judge anime before watching it ALL, so let me make something very clear here: I don't doubt that, if I watched Gundam, it would be, let's say, on my top 100 (I watched over 400 by now), but as my RL gets more and more time off my anime time, I always think this: I would rather try my chances with something really new, or something I know it's my style, than something that I know will never get into my top 10. So please don't read all I said as "Gundam is the worst ever", not at all, I'm sure I watched countless anime that I can quote from being worst without me even having watched Gundam ;)

It's just that ... it does not match, me and Gundam that is :roll:

(I almost watched whatever Gundam it is that has Stellar since I love her character design and did some wallpapers with her, but friends told me whatever Gundam she is in is one of the worst Gundam =/)

On other comments, ok you quoted some hyped anime that I also think are ok. Perhaps it's not something as general as I previously thought, but I still read a lot of reviews and ask around a lot if it's hyped before considering, and the "watch one episode to test it" don't really suits me since several anime only get good past half it's length.

BTW I'm almost finished with Seirei no Moribito ... here is a good sample of awesome anime this year ;) I'm also somewhat eager to watch School Days, despite some hype and the fact it seams it's a known "slow paced dragged romance" until near the end, but so far I head it, the ending is worth the wait? well, sounds different enough for me =p

As for Clannad and KioAny fandom, there is something that will never catch me: choose an anime only because the animation studio can make 24 fluid fps and has great character designs. Anime, as much as drawing a lot of importance from appearance, is not about looks. I bet anyone here can quote some amazingly-good looing titles that are trash. The first 2 that come to my mind: Yumeria and Maboraho (do not confuse with Mahoraba ~heartfull days~, which is great =p)

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2007, 6:47 am 
Major Contributor

Caiobrz wrote:
As for Clannad and KioAny fandom, there is something that will never catch me: choose an anime only because the animation studio can make 24 fluid fps and has great character designs. Anime, as much as drawing a lot of importance from appearance, is not about looks. I bet anyone here can quote some amazingly-good looing titles that are trash. The first 2 that come to my mind: Yumeria and Maboraho (do not confuse with Mahoraba ~heartfull days~, which is great =p)

Well pretty much all of KyoAni's productions so far have not only looked good but have been good anime overall. Fumoffu, TSR, Haruhi, Lucky Star. With the exception of Kanon 2006, which was good but IMO a waste of time for studio of KyoAni's calibre. KyoAni and BONES are the two studios IMO that have been pretty good about consistently creating high-quality anime series.

Looking at this new season, there are a lot of great shows already: Moyashimon, Minami-ke, Sketchbook ~full colors~, Shana II, Myself; Yourself, You're Under Arrest Full Throttle, Gundam 00. And returning ones like Hayate.

And just out of curiosity though, why don't you like Gundam?

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2007, 3:03 pm 
Resident Scholar

The Adict wrote:
I have yet to find a site where most of the frequent poster have seen over 100 anime and a good number over 200 or even 300.

I think age is a more decisive factor. These forums where a good deal of the participants are below their twenties usually suck eggs, since most young people lack social/communicative skills...
Good to have AMDS around as a counter-example. :wink:

The Adict wrote:
besides MMsven and such on here I've yet to meet a noob to anime that has good taste

:lol: :lol: :lol:
You're the coolest, man... like playing soccer with other people's balls... 8)

Hear that Mmsven? YOU'RE A NOOB WITH NO TASTE!!!

Oh good Lord, my head hurts from laughing... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2007, 4:48 pm 
Post Master

42317 wrote:
Hear that Mmsven? YOU'RE A NOOB WITH NO TASTE!!!

I'm pretty sure he meant the exact opposite since besides means except for.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2007, 6:10 pm 

I meant except. And the reason why I keep going back to number is one, larger the number the larger people understanding of Japanese and Eastern culture and usually means age. But yeah age is the BIGGEST factor.

Also 42317, ewwww that gross.

So Caiobrz, I can kinda understand what your saying still that's like sitting down to dinner and looking at a plate of food and staring at it and deciding it's gross without ever having a taste. Also that would be Gundam Seed Destiny, a good series but not as good as peole expect from Gundam. Really its just slow to start and most people ditch it before t gets going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2007, 6:23 pm 
Regular

Quote:
And just out of curiosity though, why don't you like Gundam?

Is it important? asking me to quote why I don't like a title would only make people who like it be anger ... anyway ... Gundam has NO character development whatsoever, and it's cliche all the way, I can smell what is going to happen from wallpapers. For instance ... er .. damn there are no spoiler tags here T_T, ok who watched know when I say: just by looking at Stellar and that she was not the main lead, I knew her fate.

Yeah, lots of people want to kill me for saying Gundam has no character development but I don't care, I'm REALLY picky, I would say that, if I watched 50 animes with real character develipment, I'm being optimistic =p and as I mentioned, since I know it's not for my tastes, I rather not right? I know some titles I like and have no character development, but than they usually have something else to give, like a real plot >.>

On the dinner analogy, picture this: 5 plates, 2 which I know I love, 2 I don't know, and one I know it's fair-fair ... I have to pick 3, what would I pick?

the two I love and one unknown =p

spazmaster666 wrote:
KyoAni and BONES are the two studios IMO that have been pretty good about consistently creating high-quality anime series.

Yeah, I used to love BONES, until "Kenran Butoh Sai - The Mars Daybreak" ... prolly on my bottom-10 anime list =p

edit

My wife also can't stand Gundam, and after I told her this:

Quote:
For the record Gundam is to large to hate everything in it.

She told me this: "yeah, Pokemon is also huge, it's impossible to hate everything in it" XD~

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2007, 7:19 pm 
Resident Scholar

Mmsven wrote:
I'm pretty sure he meant the exact opposite since besides means except for.

Why do you think people who translate languages are also called "interpreters"? :D
If that sentence of his does not allow the interpretation I had in mind, blame my lack of English language proficiency finetuning.
Besides, I wasn't serious... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27th, 2007, 11:48 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Caiobrz wrote:
For instance ... er .. damn there are no spoiler tags here.

For spoilers you can either: 1) Put them in a yellow font so to read them you have to highlight them, which is the preferred method when you have only one of two sentences you want to hide, or two) use the spoiler tag which is the white block that is the third button from the left on the bottom row of the options bar (I guess that's what you would call it? :? )

So it would look like this

Spoiler
Or Like This

Caiobrz wrote:
In fact, anything with "gundam" in the name turns me off ... I almost did not watch masterpiece "Gunparade March" because that "Gunparade..." kept reminding me of Gundam.

Nice to see someone else out there likes Gunparade March, or even knows about it :shock:

On another note, maybe one of these days I will start watching titles that are just coming out rather than my normal method of watching stuff that has been released or is being released in the US. This is probably a byproduct of my wanting to watch stuff with an English dub, so I gravitate to those titles while waiting on others to get a dub before I watch them.

I have only seen a couple titles that were made in 2007 and a handful that were made in 2006, which is why I have refrained from posting much about what is wrong with most new anime, since I have very little exposure to them. Some have been excellent, a la Byousoku 5 Centimeter, The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, and to a slightly lesser extent Black Lagoon. Some have been average, Gendo Senki, Brave Story, and others forgettable, such as Sky Girls. So far my exposure to recent titles has been fairly good overall, and while it isn't enough to draw a conclusion from, as long as you stick to those genera's which you like you should always be able to find titles which you will enjoy, even if they do rehash select elements from previous releases you liked, something which is almost unavoidable. (Sometimes it seems as soon as they find something that works they stick with it to the bitter end :roll: )

Concerning hyped titles, at least you know if a title is being hyped, aka being well received to a almost ludicrous level, it must at least have a relatively high level of quality. While I tend not to like hyped titles as much as other people seem to, I don't think any hyped title I have seen I have rated below 3 stars, which is my cut off point for it having been worth a single watch, at 2.5 it wasn't worth my time. Well, that is just how it works for me anyway.

42317 wrote:
You're the coolest, man... like playing soccer with other people's balls... Cool

Very nice analogy :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next