Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 17th, 2017, 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25th, 2007, 3:02 pm 
Regular

Quote:
You can't demux the native h264 into an AVI container, if you do so, it won't be able to play and you won't be able to reencode it either.

er, I never tryed that o.O

Either way I'm downloading SSS version, it is smaller but oh well xD~ I already watched with this MKV anyway, so to storage I will try SSS version.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2007, 12:50 pm 
Regular

Got the SSS (Shinsen Sub Syndicate) version, From ep 11 to 25 they had avis so I had only to encode 1-10. It came out fine =D

BTW amazing encode, they fit them into 170Mb and it looks great, and the .avi versions (Xvid) are also in 170Mb 720p and they also look pretty damn good ;) Hands down, it did look better on 240Mb mkv's but as I mentioned, nothing that I would bug about =p

The .mkvs featured mp3 audio (but the same h264 video, but hardsubs) so I guess what really hinders the encode on those sudo episodes were the ogg audio.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2007, 6:52 pm 
Major Contributor

Well there's actually nothing wrong with the Sudo encodes. I was able to convert them to avi with no problems with Mediacoder. As I've said before all you have to do is extract the raw h264 file with MKVExtractGUI and then use DGAVIndex and Avisynth to generate a functional avs script. Then just feed that to whatever encoder you want, including MEncoder, and it should work just fine. And you won't even need to reencode the Vorbis since I found no sync issues when I remuxed the audio with the converted video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28th, 2007, 9:21 pm 
Regular

.avi container can handle ogg than?

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2007, 11:41 am 
Major Contributor

Caiobrz wrote:
.avi container can handle ogg than?

Yeah it sure can. The main issue is that avi can't handle the native MPEG-4 AVC. But ogg is fine.

Oh and I got my hands on the Bluray edition of Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence and it looks phenomenal. Not the best HD transfer I've ever seen but definitely leaps and bounds above any of the anime airing on TV in HD. I'm definitely looking forward to more Bluray anime releases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2007, 11:31 pm 
Post Master

spazmaster666 wrote:
Oh and I got my hands on the Bluray edition of Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence and it looks phenomenal. Not the best HD transfer I've ever seen but definitely leaps and bounds above any of the anime airing on TV in HD. I'm definitely looking forward to more Bluray anime releases.

Where did you get your hands on that? There is no bluray release of GITS Innocence to my knowledge, at least in R1.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 2nd, 2007, 11:41 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
It is probably a R2 release that either has subs or was subbed by someone and is now online. (I don't really know about R2 releases so I can't speak for sure on if it came with English subs in the Japanese market or not).

Speaking of anime in HD, the sizes are SO much larger than normal files it is crazy. The GitS Innocence bluray release I found online is 25 gigs. So much for a 90 minute movie. Seems like I am going to have to up my hard drive space again if things keep progressing like this! (Not to mention, if you are downloading it, it is going to take a hell of a long time to get if it doesn't have a good number of seeds :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2007, 2:04 am 
Major Contributor

Mmsven wrote:
Where did you get your hands on that? There is no bluray release of GITS Innocence to my knowledge, at least in R1.

Actually North America shares Region A with Japan, (There are only three regions for Bluray, Region A, B, C) which means that all Japanese BD movies will play on North American Bluray players. My friend had imported the BD edition and I borrowed it from him. The release actually has subtitles in four languages including English. And it played just fine on my Pioneer Bluray/DVD+RW combo drive. But yeah HD movies can get very large, especially if they are encoded in MPEG-2 as opposed to MPEG-4 AVC. In the case of Innocence, MPEG-2 was used and while it still looks fantastic, MPEG-2 is a very inefficient codec compared to h264, hence an h264 encoding probably could have been only about half the size and yet keep the same amount of quality.

But yeah 25GB is quite large which is why ripping the HDDVDs and BD movies I get from Netflix really strains my hard drives. Right now I have over 1.5 TB of space but only about 200 GB free . . . XD

The good news is that I can re-encode it to a DVD9 size movie file with x264 (with all the features maxed out) and still maintain pretty much the same quality at 1080p (as long as the audio isn't much higher than half-rate DTS streams @ 768 kbps). You do lose a little sharpness and get a small amount of macroblocking, but considering in some cases you can cut a 50GB BD movie down to 8.5 GB, that's well worth it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2007, 4:43 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Smacks forehead, forgot that thy have different region stuff on the Bluray and HD stuff. Well, nice to know we share it with Japan, that will make things easier, as long as the Japanese release includes English subtitles/an English dub. Otherwise it won't do someone of my Japaneses proficiency any good :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 3rd, 2007, 7:32 am 
Major Contributor

Acmurphy wrote:
Smacks forehead, forgot that thy have different region stuff on the Bluray and HD stuff. Well, nice to know we share it with Japan, that will make things easier, as long as the Japanese release includes English subtitles/an English dub. Otherwise it won't do someone of my Japaneses proficiency any good :(

Well English subs on a Japanese disc release isn't unprecedented. The FMA movie came out on DVD in Japan with English subtitles and I bet that in the future, there will be more and more anime series that come out on DVD or Bluray in Japan that has subtitles like the GITS Innocence release. Unfortunately HDDVD probably won't have much of a chance in Japan, where Bluray is overwhelmingly favored.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 4th, 2007, 11:34 pm 
Regular

I'm trying to use MediaCoder with the .avs script but ... how do I send the .avs to MediaCoder?

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2007, 8:11 am 
Major Contributor

Tekkon Kinkreet is a great example of the difference a higher resolution can make, even with anime. The movie just looks so damn good in 1080p. I compare it to the DVD version and it's like night and day. The HD version is just so detailed, clean and crisp compared to the DVD version.

It's also nice to see that anime Blurays are finally starting to get released here in the states (rather than import Japanese Blurays).

On a side note the Bluray boxset release of Utawarerumono in Jan 2008 looks pretty awesome (all 26 episodes in native 1080i and 5.1 PCM, including English subtitles), though at ¥52,500 (US $464) pretty damn expensive as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2007, 4:29 pm 
Regular

lame question, DVD is 720p right?

(old story: I converted all those mkvs by converting audio and video separated, what was messing was, for some random reason, doing both at the same time, do not ask me why)

Post subject:
PostPosted: December 19th, 2007, 5:00 pm 
Major Contributor

Caiobrz wrote:
lame question, DVD is 720p right

Actually DVD is 480i or 480p (depending on the DVD) since regular SD TVs really only support those resolutions. Anything above 480p is considered HD though 720p, 1080i, and 1080p are the "standard" HD resolutions.

Post subject: Re: Anime in HD
PostPosted: October 20th, 2009, 3:11 pm 
Newcomer

I love HD!

Yes some DVD look great but even some of the older stuff will look 10 times better in HD.

Patlabor in HD is amazing! I thought the remastered dvds looked good but when I saw the 720p and 1080p I was gob smacked.

Pretty much all new stuff I get is 720p as my screen res is 1280x1024. I've noticed that there is a quite a bit of differance in the quality, but thats more in the animation budget more than anything, something which people will notice more in HD.

I'm all for HD, Just looking forward till they can do subtitles on blueray like fansubbers can.