Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 12th, 2017, 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17th, 2007, 1:00 am 
Major Contributor

Caiobrz wrote:
Agreed, except that anything larger than 19" for a computer CPU is overkill. I mean, with a 19" I find myself more often than not moving my head rather than my eyes =p that's why I don't see much use for something larger. I don't even use 1600x1200 yet (all displays at work are 17" and at home they are still old 17" LG ones T_T)

Well true, for just using one window at a time, a 19" monitor is probably fine but the trouble with LCDs is that a 19" LCD won't be able to display higher resolution pictures than its native res, which in todays' cases is 1280x1024 as opposed to a 19" CRT which can display as high of a resolution as it can handle (i.e. no such thing as "native res" for a CRT). I used to have a 17" CRT that could go all the way up to 2048x1536 @ 60Hz (optimal being 1280x960 @ 95 Hz). So a gamer on a 19" monitor would be stuck to a 1280x1024 resolution which probably won't look nearly as good as 1600x1200 on 19" CRT.

Caiobrz wrote:
You mentioned dual cores ... do any player/codec actually distribute audio/video decoding among the cores? The main problem with multi-core these days is that there are still so few softwares that make use of them. Take a look at games, almost no PC titles take full advantage of them. Actually I think none prior to ones released this year ever did. =/ I guess it's something similar to the LCD issue being new and still not perfected, it will grow into things with time (people at work for instance just bought a 8-dual core (total 16 cores) server instead of going for the new quad-cores because they said it's a "new" technology and they want stability and don't trust something as new as quad-core. Although I think it's over protective policy, I see where they get their fears from new stuff xD~)

Well most programs I use these days support multithreading since dual cores have been out for a couple of years now and is becoming the standard even among mainstream OEMs and retailers. Otherwise, I wouldn't seeing CPU usage that peak to 75-80% during playback of 1080p MPEG-4 AVC files (I would only be seeing a peak of 50% CPU usage if it were only using the one core.) Honestly speaking, 75-80% on a 3.2 GHz Core 2 Duo too much CPU usage for playing a 1080p movie so Quad-core is definitely a useful option for users who don't have a graphics card that can offload video decoding to the GPU (like the nvidia 8500/8600 cards). Unfortunately, my 8800GTS came out before the new hardware revision that shipped along with the 8500/8600 which allow for offloading of video processing to the GPU meaning that 1080p MPEG-4 AVC (aka h264) content will only use up about 5-10% CPU, and in some cases will offload it 100% to the GPU!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 17th, 2007, 11:32 am 
Regular

Quote:
19" CRT which can display as high of a resolution as it can handle

lol, considering I wor with images in the order of 5000x5000, often with 200% zoom to see the details, I'm not that worried on which resolution the monitor can handle but the amount of eye/head moviment I require =p. Even at 17" I have to keep things centered since I keep my head about 50cm from the monitor at most to see all details (aka image extracting is boring ><).

Quote:
2048x1536 @ 60Hz

wow, I thought only 19" could handle that, but 60Hz is a killer (I can see the flicker if it's below 75Hz T_T 15 minutes in front of a 60Hz is a guaranteed headache for me). Yet I think that what matters is the monitor size in contrast to the resolution, because after certain dot-width there is no point getting it any smaller. I mean, I imagine the dot-width for that 2048x1536 on a 17", I guess a pixel would be almost invisible at 1m distance LOL. My 17" is old so it can handle only up to 1280x1024 @ 75Hz

Yet I love to watch 720p anime, since it fits perfectly on a 1280 width =p I guess there is no meaning for me to get 1024p, what is the width on that? 1820?

About the dual cores, seriously, 75% on a dual core to watch an anime? are you sure that is not only at ONE processor? On my single-core AMD 3500 it takes about 50% oO; I usually watch anime while I'm re-encoding MKV to AVI (yeah, that does it to 100% and lots of delay when I want to stop the video LOL)

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 18th, 2007, 8:41 pm 
Post Master

There is very little anime on HDDVD/Bluray unfortunately, 5 titles maybe? I do plan on buying JinRoh and Paprika on bluray though. I don't like fansubs so thats not an option. All I need is a new job, A 1080p HDTV (planning to get 32" sharp), and A PS3 then I will be set. Who knows how long that will take though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 19th, 2007, 7:29 am 
Major Contributor

Caiobrz wrote:
About the dual cores, seriously, 75% on a dual core to watch an anime? are you sure that is not only at ONE processor? On my single-core AMD 3500 it takes about 50% oO; I usually watch anime while I'm re-encoding MKV to AVI (yeah, that does it to 100% and lots of delay when I want to stop the video LOL)

It can spike up to 75% during the most intense moments. Of course I'm talking about high-bitrate 1080p content. CoreAVC still has a long way to go in terms of decoding MPEG-4 AVC. High-bitrate, high-complexity 1080p x264 files take up a lot of processing power. If you're talking about just 720p anime (not upscaled) then it usually sits at around 20-25% depending on the bitrate. However, I upscale everything to 1920x1200 using ffdshow's resizing and de-noising filters. So with high-quality de-noising and resizing filters added, I usually get up to 40% on average.

As for anime on HD formats, well it'll be a little while before that becomes more mainstream since very few people actually care about Bluray/HDDVD movies either. But HD anime is becoming more and more common nowadays on Japanese TV broadcasts, and most of the more popular titles will get the HD treatment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24th, 2007, 2:29 pm 
Regular

Gah I would just like to drop my rant somewhere >.> I download 2 titles in MKV (I hate MKV, but I had no choice) and there is nothing I can do to actually encode it back to AVI, it always desync. aff aff >< neither super, graphedit nor mkvtools gave me a proper sync output T_T

And most players have "issues" with MKV, so I have to watch using VLC or ZoomPlayer T_T

I HATE MKV (though I think the fault lies with the MPEG-4 AVC + OGG combo inside them .. why people still try Vorbis?)

(BTW it were Darker than black and Gurren-Lagann)

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24th, 2007, 6:44 pm 
Major Contributor

Caiobrz wrote:
Gah I would just like to drop my rant somewhere >.> I download 2 titles in MKV (I hate MKV, but I had no choice) and there is nothing I can do to actually encode it back to AVI, it always desync. aff aff >< neither super, graphedit nor mkvtools gave me a proper sync output T_T

And most players have "issues" with MKV, so I have to watch using VLC or ZoomPlayer T_T

I HATE MKV (though I think the fault lies with the MPEG-4 AVC + OGG combo inside them .. why people still try Vorbis?)

(BTW it were Darker than black and Gurren-Lagann)

What program are you using to demux the video and audio files from the MKV? I suggest MKVExtractGUI which is a GUI based on MKVmerge. Don't use Virtuadub to demux MKV files as Virtuadub has very old and outdated MKV support. Also, MeGUI or GordanKnot are great programs to reencode something to avi with Xvid.

I remember that when I used virtuadub, a lot of times the audio and video would become out of sync when I extracted them from an MKV file. This is a known problem with virtuadubmod. After I started using MKVmerge and MKVExtractGUI, I don't get those problems anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24th, 2007, 7:27 pm 
Regular

I mentioned them all: MKVTools (which is the core for MKVmerge, MKVextract etc), Graphedit (the top application to handle applications, it crashes about midway thru ¬¬), Super (an application that uses up to 3 ways to encode, all of which result in desync video). MeGUI us a GUI for MMpeg which is what super uses.

Vdub does not handle MKV, and OGM only VDub-mod =/

Note: yeah the video is MPEG-4 AVC + OGG, and it seams there IS something wrong with the encode because regardless of which player or codec I use, the video is a slideshow of lag unless I skip a few seconds from the start (usually 10s+). If I try to play it from start, it's a slideshow all the way ¬¬

Now if it's a MKV or codec problem, beats me. Since I never had issues with neither AVC nor OGG, and I keep getting problems with MKV ... figures ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24th, 2007, 8:06 pm 
Regular

I found out why it is a slide show only at the beggining: because I open the file by double clicking on it instead of loading from the player ... meaning ... my system specs are border-line capable of playing it so the small loading of the player is enough to ruin it...

my specs? AMD 64 3500+ with 1GhzFSB and 1Gb DDR2 666 ...

yeah, I hate MKV and AVC, if my system can't handle it, there is something wrong with the world ¬¬ it might be related to why graphedit crashes so I will try to run a dedicated encode. (the video is 720p). I was able to run it smoothly by disabling post-processing xD

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24th, 2007, 8:28 pm 
Post Master

Remove all your other codecs and download CCCP. Then uninstall VLC. It works best that way. I like MKV better, because it supports more then one subtitle and audio track, and it looks better. The only downside is that it uses more computer power, but I have enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24th, 2007, 10:53 pm 
Regular

I have *only* CCCP ... latest. I also have ffdshow since it installs DirectShow codecs that can be used by Graphedit.

The only application that can properly encode without sync issues is Graphedit, but it crashes in most files with a "invalid start time larger than end time while updating graph" and stops the encode T_T I quit, I will have to just watch and trash it =/ if it's good I can always buy the DVDs =p

MKV cannot look better, because it's just a container. Multiple subtitles are useless since I need only one, and I can still have them into neatly editable external srt's, and I never found any use for dubs other than enlarging the file size 20Mb each stream =p

There is not a single argument that will convince me MKV is good, sorry :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 24th, 2007, 11:33 pm 
Post Master

Quote:
MKV cannot look better, because it's just a container.

Any old idiot can encode into AVI though, so AVI is generally worse quality. I frequently see shite quality AVI and almost never see shite quality MKV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25th, 2007, 1:06 am 
Major Contributor

Well, not exactly true that MKV can't look better. The thing is, AVI cannot handle native MPEG-4 AVC streams, so any x264 encoded stream must be encoded in the VFW (Video for Windows) output mode which isn't exactly the best way to encode x264 and also lacks the newer features of x264 CLI. So if you want to use x264 CLI, which you most definitely will if you're going for high-quality 720p videos at the smallest sizes possible, avi simply isn't an option. You must either leave it in the native .mp4 container, or use MKV. MPEG-4 AVC was just never standardized in avi and hence there's whole bunch of incompatibility issues that can occur when trying to view an AVC-encoded avi file.

Caiobrz wrote:
I mentioned them all: MKVTools (which is the core for MKVmerge, MKVextract etc), Graphedit (the top application to handle applications, it crashes about midway thru ¬¬), Super (an application that uses up to 3 ways to encode, all of which result in desync video). MeGUI us a GUI for MMpeg which is what super uses.

Oops, I missed that part of your post I guess.

Oh and btw, what groups did you get those files from? I may just have those files on my computer as well since I have all the eps of Darker than Black and Gurren Lagaan in 720p on my hard drive.

I think I may have figured out the problem: When you extract the video from the MKV, does it extract it to an AVI file? If it does then that's a major problem since avi can't handle the native AVC stream. And you try to play that avi file, it'll probably just play for a few seconds and then freeze. The more recent versions of mkvextract support extracting raw AVC streams from an MKV file. Plus the vorbis file is probably encoded with a VBR stream which can also cause a lot of problems.

Try MediaCoder, it should be able to do what you want, convert MKV to avi without much hassle. Just make sure the audio is encoded with CBR so you won't get timecode issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25th, 2007, 9:39 am 
Regular

I got the Darker Than Black from [sudo] Darker Than Black 01-25. Some episodes (less than half) encode into AVI (Xvid + mp3) ok, some will get progressive audio desync. I think I can try and fix them manually since they seam to be progressive.

After some browsing I found the error. The OGG stream seams to be buggy on the files that I have desync issues. GraphEdit gives me a warning about a start time being larger than end time and it's from the OGG stream, seams it's quite common issue on OGG and while most players ignore this error, encoders don't =/

I will try the MediaCoder.

As for the HD discussion on AVI container not supporting some of the latest video codecs, it's true, but quite seriously, as a NORMAL person (meaning, I don't really care that much if my image is perfect or just pretty), I usually don't see any change. For instance, the Darker Than Black in question I see how amazing the image looks on the MKV but I seriously noticed little change (I did notice, but for me, it was little) while converting into Xvid 85% quality. I tryed one 95% quality and the image looked exactly the same ... though in 500Mb files =p

To me, if I wanted cristal clear images, I would go to the DVD and not fansubs, that's why I don't care and think people are overdong stuff. I mean, come on, my system can't handle that MKV, I'm not going to change my system because of an anime, and if I really NEED (for some psyco reason) to have that level of quality .... buy the DVDs =D

Ok I will try MediaCoder (Both my computers at home are encoding right now using SUPER, some will have sync issues but I will try to fix them manually), in my lunch time I will put one of them trying MediaCoder (in episode 7, which is the most bugged one, almost 10s of desync =p)

I tryed manually converting each stream with MKVtools but I got the desync all the same T_T Manual steps I did:

1. MKVextract to get video.avi, audio.ogg, sub.srt
2. Used SUPER to encode video.avi to Xvid
3. Used OGGDEC to decode .ogg into PCM
4. Used VDub to open the Xvid .avi and the PCM .wav and muxed it into an avi (direct stream copy for the video, Lame MP3 for the .wav) ...
... desync ><

All automation tools will either also have desync, or crash (graphedit). Graphedit is the most likelly to make things write, but I can't make it ignore the incorrect frames ><

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25th, 2007, 11:39 am 
Regular

Ok I Officially quit.

MediaCoder stopped around 7min and said it was COMPLETE (so I got a 7mn .avi ... with desync audio)

And all the 25 episodes I left encoding since yesterday turned out to also suffer the same fate while enconding from SUPER: 7~9min .avis with desync audio .. .as if I would care for the desync if I got 1/3 of an episode anyway :evil:

both MediaCoder and SUPER used MEncoder so that might be the problem, SUPER can use ffmpeg but it seams it also results in some weird shit. So I quit ... watch and trash anime ><; If I like it, DVD

Ah BTW:

Quote:
in the native .mp4 container,

yes please T_T mp4 is ok. Touhh my Gurren-Lagann mp4 is turning into audio noise lol

it's my destiny \o/

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 25th, 2007, 12:58 pm 
Major Contributor

You can't demux the native h264 into an AVI container, if you do so, it won't be able to play and you won't be able to reencode it either.

Hmm, I have those files on my PC, I'll see if I can figure something out . . .

I think I may have found a solution: download the latest version of MKVExtractGUI and extract the raw AVC file (you should get a .h264 file) and then use DGAVCIndex to index the raw AVC file. Create an Avisynth file to frame serve the video with the following lines:

loadplugin("DGAVCDecode.dll")
AVCSource("filename.dga")

Add whatever else you would like of course.

Then just feed this avs script to MediaCoder and it should encode just fine with Xvid to .avi. I was able to play the avs file in Mediaplayer classic with no audio sync issues so I don't think you need to reecode the audio in this case. You can do it just to be safe but I don't think it's necessary. I think problem is that MediaCoder also can't index raw h264 files properly from MKV. Hence the we needed to index it manually with DGAVCIndex.