Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 10:48 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2007, 6:10 pm 

Well, I think in this case the word legendary is not really describing the greatness of a series but the overall popularity among the viewers.
I can think of a few that would fall into that category, among them I'd include series such as Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, Pokemon, Saint Seiya, etc... as an example of those that have won thousands of fans around the world. Those are easily found in the local tv channels of many countries around the world with the proper language dubs. Even though these series are probably considered garbage by many of the knowledgeable "anime fans", these are the series that many of us grew up watching, and that probably influenced in our liking to the japanese animation. Not forgetting that whenever the word anime comes to discussion among non-watchers, they will immediately think of these series.

For the die-hard fans and the rest of us who enjoy watching anime, we will probably include series that started us watching anime, or probably series that made an impression on us. Most likely those series are going to be among the first we watched and those we believe have great replay value. But then we come again that addressing a series as legendary would mean that it is considered vastly popular among the fans so we will always need to include series like NGE, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Escaflowne, a couple of Ghibli tittles, GTO, Inuyasha, Akira, Berserk. Those are just a few, which I think have a very large and strong fan base. Now I think this is just based in the popularity that these series have gained through the years, which doesn't really mean they are masterpieces.

If I were to talk about masterpieces I would include series like Monster, Haibane Renmei, Planetes, Last Exile, Berserk, Azumanga Daioh, Paranoia Agent, Escaflowne, Castle of Cagliostrio, Emma, and a couple of some very recent series. The thing is these I may consider to be the best around, but they are not as popular as some others. :D

Now, as for the previous debates.

NGE: first anime series I watched being conscious that i was watching japanese animation. Did I enjoy it? heck yea! it blew me away, I was really impressed by the story and how psychological it seemed at the time, i had not been exposed to any series such as that one, so it made a huge impression on me. I still like it, though I don't think it has much of a re-watching value since I don't enjoy much mecha and in the end I was sick with the conclusion that it took me quite a while to assimilate. Had I watched tittles as fckd up as Elfen Lied, as dramatical as Berserk's, or as psychological as Paranoia Agent and Perfect Blue before watching NGE, it'd be a different story.

Trigun: I loved it the first time I watched it, and have enjoyed it every time I've re-watched it. It must be the reason why I own the dvd's, collect the manga, have a couple of Kaiyodo Trigun figures, and even use wolfwood as my username. What I liked about it, was definitely the feeling of the series, deep and philosophical at times, but lighthearted and comical overall. It had a very good message, and it was cool darn it. Very cool. 8)

Cowboy Bebop: legendary? No doubt! this is a kickass series. From the great animation, and awesome choreographies, to the outstanding music. Episodic nature? indeed, but even so it had a very touching conclusion for each one of its characters. What else can you hope for in an anime series?

Noir: best thing ever, kickass, hottest girls, coolest gun action choreographies, best animation, art and music! well not really.
But even so Its in my top 10 list. What did I like about it? well probably what grabbed my attention at first was the music, I enjoyed that very much, and then Kirika as well. I thought the art was great and that it fit the theme of the story very well. As for the story, well... it was kinda slow at first, but I thought it was well thought out. Then again there were quite some holes there, and I can deny it lacked realism, mostly in the gunfight scenes. Especially that time when Kirika and Chloe take on like 50 soldats without a scratch (I loved that scene anyways). Many people complaint about the total lack of blood but I'm pretty sure they thought of adding that at first but the budget wasn't enough.
No seriously, I thought it was well done, blood would have made the series messier than it already was, and probably would have turned the girls from antiheroes to criminals (though they really were). I any case it was artistic and I appreciated them not adding blood to every soldat shot or stabbed in the series. :wink:

My say on not so legendary anime series: I have to include all of the mecha series, like Gundam and the such, I hate mecha , and I can only think of a couple of series that I've enjoyed and had giant robots piloted by kids, NGE, FMP ( I hated every scene that involved a robot but I liked the humor, and Tessa, so that made up for it), and Escaflowne. I could add Scrapped Princess but I don't think it really belongs to the genre. Thank you for reading this last paragraph, courtesy of myself, wolfwood, who dislikes mecha plenty and therefore this is a very biased opinion. :o

EDIT: Huge post! Nice. :lol: Added some emoticons to make it attractive for the readers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2007, 8:59 pm 

You're mad! Mechas are every man's true romance!! Die in a river!!

But yeah, each to his own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2007, 10:29 pm 

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
You're mad! Mechas are every man's true romance!!

and here i thought it might have been woman, meh, what a fool i've been :roll: :P

#1 Chloe fanatic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 30th, 2007, 4:41 am 
Regular

Dark One wrote:
and here i thought it might have been woman, meh, what a fool i've been :roll: :P

Judging from the art Storm's been posting in the Art forum, I came to the conclusion Storm was a guy ages ago. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 30th, 2007, 7:27 am 

Well he was just reacting to my joke with some sarcasm... oh I thought women were a man's true romance!

Not mistaking me as a girl. I think anyway. I don't think I've done anything to be mistaken as one. I had a Saito avatar for quite a while back in old animetric too....

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 30th, 2007, 11:17 am 

Stupid question, how can any one hate ALL mecha anime? Its a stable on anime more importantly HOW CAN YOU NOT THINK most GUNDAM SERIES ARE THE BEST SERIES EVER!

Sure there is SD, Seed, Seed Destiny, CHar's counterattack and G Gundam fighter but most series of the Gundam franchise are excelent.

Umm how can people mistake Storm Shinobi as a girl? I never did.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 27th, 2007, 7:47 pm 
Regular

-=:Minor Spoilers Throughout:=-

Elfen lied was a let down for me. I had read a review in Play magazine, so I picked up the first volume, and then bought the rest as each of them hit the states (If I start watching an anime, I watch it till the end so I don't have a nagging feeling in the back of my head), but I wasn't very happy with what I bought. I never found myself giving a rat's ass about the main characters (I would have liked it if Kouta, Lucy, and Yuka all died), and it always felt like the gore was just there to for cheap thrills (when Lucy ripped the secretary's head off, I just rolled my eyes and I got bored when she ripped off Nana's limbs); if you're going to have blood and violence, it needs to be well done in my opinion.

I did like the smaller characters though, though unfortunately, it seemed to be more for their character designs (Nana and Mayu are ridiculously cute in my opinion). I do like Bandou though, because of his sociopathic tendencies (plus the whole "balls" thing).

In the end, I just didn't get the big deal with the series, it was okay, but damn the story seemed forced, and I really felt like the show's crew was hoping that mixing depressing backstories with gore would carry the series along. I do like the manga however.

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 27th, 2007, 8:44 pm 
Post Master

I think you meant to say "weren't" and not "wen't".

Berserk, the only thing about this that stood out for me was the storyline, everything else was complete garbage and made me want to cry. I don't see how you people can phase out the horrible sound.

La Blue Girl, I saw it was very popular in Hentai circles, BUT IT WAS FUCKING CRAP. Horrible dub + horrible character designs (a ninja girl with purple hair and a giant ribbon on her head, right) + horrible animation + way too much tenticle sex + mediocre plot = La Blue Girl. The sequels were decent though.

Noir, even though I wasn't expecting much, I was disappointed with how boring it was, and the plot was really weird. No blood is a bad thing as well, it displays lack of realism (I hate cuts with all my being).

I think I got them all for now.

I dont see why people hate Akira so much, other than fact that the ending sucked giant hairy monkey balls, I didn't see any problems with it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 29th, 2007, 2:59 pm 

Yes I'm sorry I spelled the title to the thread wrong.