Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 18th, 2017, 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recommended Manga
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2007, 2:23 pm 

I am trying to get back into the whole manga scene again. I mostly read anime online since I don't have the money to buy a lot of manga. I want to read something that is all around great. Good characters, good plot, good pace, and if possible already finished.

These are some manga I liked:
Fullmetal Alchemist
Naruto
Bleach
Death Note(liked it but lost interest)
GTO(started buying them but did not have money to support my habit)
Berserk
Black Cat
Trigun
Zombie Powder
Kajika
Sandland

So if you look at my likes, you see I like action more than anything but I do really enjoy plot manga too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2007, 2:38 pm 
Regular

Maybe Tsubasa chronicles or XXXholic, those are fun reads, and Tsubasa has plenty of action.

My friends have always liked Getbackers, though I've personally never read it.

Qwan is a good one, though I think Tokyopop only released three volumes and stopped publishing.

Rebirth is a good Korean manwa that has LOADS of action, interesting characters, humor, and an enigmatic plot, though you're lucky if more than two volumes a year get released.

Beet the vandel buster is a good manga that feels like an old RPG, though it only gets one volume a year (which is pretty sad considering it's a weekly).

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2007, 3:07 pm 

I didn't really enjoy Getbackers that much. I read the first volume and thought it was pretty dull.

Is there any that are finished that are good? I hate reading manga and then having to wait long periods of time before I get to read a chapter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 23rd, 2007, 4:29 pm 
Regular

Finished? Hmmm......that's tough.

Finished Mangas I liked:

The Rurouni Kenshin manga was awesome in my opinion, much better than any of its anime incarnations, and all of its volumes have been published in the US for about two years.

Chobits was pretty good.

I heard that the first Petshop of horrors manga series was finished, but I always have a hard time finding a bookstore that carries it. Excellent series though.

Dr. Insane-o

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 24th, 2007, 2:23 pm 
Major Contributor

How do you feel about Shoujo? Or anime that's a little less action based? If you have any interest in that here are a few very good suggestions:

Kare Kano
NANA
Nodame Cantabile
Ouran High School Host Club
Paradise Kiss
Yakitate Japan!

And in the more action oriented front:

D.Gray-man
Hunter X Hunter
Hellsing
Rurouni Kenshin (good read even if you've seen the TV series)
One Piece
666 Satan (O-Parts Hunter in the English version)
Negima

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 24th, 2007, 6:22 pm 

How can you guys have gone this far in and NOT recommended Love Hina!!!?

My recomendations

For Shonen

Love Hine: if you thought the anime was good, it doesn't even compare to the pure genious that is the manga
Rurouni Kenshin: Again makes the animated version pale in comparison. Well besides Samurai X
Bleach: Long series but really good, or at least what I've seen, only up to colume 20
Tramps like Us: I really like it, it funny
Threads of Time: a Manwa with extremely good art work and intereating story.
Aoi Yori Aoishi: A excellent sudo harem. Why Sudo the guy isn't a loser, is not fikle nor a wimp
Vr verse: excellent music series, I really liked it.

Now for Shojo

Chobits: one excellent manga
Ceres Celestial Legends: another great series, though a lot darker then most Shojo tend to be

Oh I've seen more shojo then that so I'll be back later.

Also if you're poor try your local library. I know sounds weird but mine has thousands of manga volumes. So i'm betting yours does to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 11th, 2007, 9:54 am 

Claymore - lots of girls and violence around

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 11th, 2007, 12:31 pm 

Manga manga manga... so goddamn expensive. I think anime DVDs give more bang for a buck, but well, scanslations are indeed rarer than fansubs so I own quite a bunch of manga.

Chrono Crusade, a bit of everything... and its only 8 volumes. You look at all those manga out there, and they either span like up to goddamn 20 volumes or are ongoing.... and its just pricey as hell. Being only 8 volumes is actually a really good thing.

Kare Kano, checked out scanslations.. and have been meaning to get it, but at 20 volumes... or was it 21? Man it just hurts.

Although I kinda get manga thats ongoing so I'm not any discouraged by its length, since I don't know what the length is! And if I start, then I don't stop. Well, except in the case of Black Cat, bought two volumes, scanslation-ed the rest and decided it wasn't worth its 20 volumes.

Lunar Legend Tsukihime is good stuff. Liked the anime? This is the improved version. Heck, despite not being 'animated', its a heck lot more animated than the anime.

Slice of life stoning lovers, there is Aria. Although prematurely stopped by ADV, Tokyopop picked up the prequel Aqua and is going to do Aria... so yeah. While I do like how TP uses the terms Single, Pair and Prima(used in the original Japanese, as heard in the anime), where ADV did not and just used the less catchy and long Apprentice... something something... I like ADV's colour inserts and cover. Tokyopop seemed to have done a pretty ass job for the Aqua vol 1 cover, and it has no colour inserts. They should have just used the original font thingy for the title... but regardless, I'm after what is in it. Hopefully they will stick colour inserts in, but thats just me being hopeful. Its not like they did a single colour insert for any of my damn Rozen Maiden volumes. Those cheapskates.

I am getting Shugo Chara as it goes along. It awakens this little girl inside me, and I absolutely adore it. I feel like a pansy reading it sometimes...

At any rate, I do prefer my manga to be less action orientated. You kinda finish action manga quicker, when theres an intense fight going on, you get caught up with the flow and glance from one image to another at the speed you would imagine the battle to be going at and just flip through.... and some action images tend to be a bit confusing sometimes anyway.