Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 11th, 2017, 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18th, 2007, 8:47 am 
Resident Scholar

I will always prefer the original soundtrack to a gaijin dub of any sort.
That is nowadays. More than ten years ago, I used to watch dubs, so some of the names and voices stuck. Later, when I was 16yo or so, I got "Mamono Hunter Yôko" as the fist series to watch in Japanese and I was immediately cured of my old preference. :D
The Japanese voice act is generally better as very few dubs really catch the mood, plus translation includes compromises and interpretations, which is to say lots of gags based on ambiguity are lost in translation.

Apart from that you will realize that my list of favorite voice actors and actresses includes a good portion of people who are quite unrelated to Anime. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2007, 6:23 pm 
Newcomer

42317 wrote:
I will always prefer the original soundtrack to a gaijin dub of any sort.
That is nowadays. More than ten years ago, I used to watch dubs, so some of the names and voices stuck. Later, when I was 16yo or so, I got "Mamono Hunter Yôko" as the fist series to watch in Japanese and I was immediately cured of my old preference. :D
The Japanese voice act is generally better as very few dubs really catch the mood, plus translation includes compromises and interpretations, which is to say lots of gags based on ambiguity are lost in translation.

Apart from that you will realize that my list of favorite voice actors and actresses includes a good portion of people who are quite unrelated to Anime. 8)

you can never go wrong with the original language track.
I just wtch whatever I can get my hands on (dub, sub, .... I don't care just as long as I know what's going on in the story)
I watch Bleach sometimes dub, sometimes subbed.

(I've seen some shows better dub in English than in the original Japanese) hard to believe isn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 17th, 2007, 10:07 pm 
Regular

The only times I've ever really bothered to look into the issue is Cowboy Bebop (Steven J Blum...nuff said), Higurashi (I feel bad for the English crew. they are trying their hardest, but they're just not as good as the Japanese voices),

And of course...Hellsing.

The Hellsing crew that Geneon assembled for the American release is simply amazing.

Crispin Freeman does an excellent job of bringing Alucard to life, though I like Joji Nakata (Alucard's Japanese voice actor who is able to pull off a very dark and funny Alucard) a bit better.

Father Anderson's american voice actor, Steven Brand, is (IMO) better than his Japanese counterpart.

Walter is tied (both make the exact same awesome Walter, mad props to both of them)

Victoria Harwood makes an excellent Integra.

Josh Philips...easily beats out Kazuya Nakai for Jan Valentine. He just makes the greatest possible voice for that role, and drops F bombs as naturally as you can imagine.

Dr. Insane-o