Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Berserk
PostPosted: September 8th, 2007, 4:26 am 
Post Master

I just finished watching this title today, and I feel the review was inaccurate, in the way that the reviewer mentions only the good and not the bad things. I wonder how it got 5 stars when it is not perfect. Here is what I think about it:

The Bad:

-Anything and everything to do with sound. The dub is absolutely terrible, most characters are either hard on the ears, whiney, or don't sound right. When someone is slashed it sounds like they tripped and hurt their knee instead of crying out like it would be realistically. The lack of music bothers me, and when there is music, it is almost always the same song. The beginning and ending songs sound terrible to me. The sound effects arn't the greatest either.

-Some lazy animations take place, I frequently see a static image that shouldn't be static (usually a fire), and there is a lot of screen panning.

-Sometimes the battles seem slower then they should be, a lot of people just standing around doing nothing, when in reality everyone would be focusing on killing the enemy and not watching a 1 on 1.

-Takes more then a few episodes to get into.

-Feels like it's missing an episode, because it is. They expect us to fill in the blanks between episode 25 and episode 1 (final).

The Good:

-Interesting storyline, and it is really the only thing that kept me watching past 6 episodes and finish it.

I think the reviewers should start telling about all qualities of a title instead of just telling how they feel about the overall. A bad dub drives me nuts and it didn't mention anything in the review, same with other reviews, and I'm not a fan of subs. A lot of people on this board seem to think this title is one of the greatest, if someone could explain why, then please do. All these thoughts are coming from a pure action anime fan, even if there is plenty of action, all the bad things destroy it for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8th, 2007, 3:53 pm 

Well first off I think the series is a good series for the story and characters. I was a little let down at the quality of the animation like you were. Most of the animations were dull but the story and characters were what drove the series.(definitely not the animation) But don't get me wrong, the animation did not bother me as badly as some of the dubs did.

The voices on some characters were bad but some I think were not bad at all. The background audio isn't much to speak of as there isn't much there. But again, the lack of good audio doesn't make me not like the series.

I highly suggest reading the manga because the anime lets so much out and it will fill in the gap. The main problem is that the series was not the most popular and so much was left from the anime that a second season would be hard to pull off. (IMHO)

Overall I loved the series and wish a second season could be put out. I mean the last episode gives you too much new information that is sucks as the last ep in the series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8th, 2007, 5:06 pm 
Regular

i believe i was one of the people who recommended berserk. i should have mentioned the criteria of what aspects of anime i like.

number one is characterization.
number two is plot.

if an anime has both of these, i really do not care about anything else. in fact, i let A LOT slide. only when the plot and characters are not interesting do i start to get bothered by poor animation. i cannot stand dubs so i am sure i would feel your pain if i were forced to watch it also. i also usually skip the intro and ending.

many of your issues are due to budget constraints. action animation is a tough business back then. best to stick with the slick stylistic new cg anime i guess. or if you watch old anime it would have to be a movie or ova.

oh, and i am not into fighting anime. sometimes i just zone out when the fighting starts... i really do not care about any moves and such. sorry that my recommendation was not up to par, if only you knew about how i grade anime you would have known what to expect. too bad that your experience of berserk was so poor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8th, 2007, 5:24 pm 
Post Master

dbd_addict wrote:
i believe i was one of the people who recommended berserk. i should have mentioned the criteria of what aspects of anime i like.

I started watching it before you recommended it though. The review was what got me to watch it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 8th, 2007, 11:25 pm 

Berserk is great because of the storyline and the characters, the animation is pretty bad and the music as well, but it didn't bothered me at all because I was really hooked.
Now if you want the full picture you need to pick up the manga.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 9th, 2007, 5:11 pm 
Post Master

I could try the manga, I would probly be able to go through the story in a more enjoyable way, but I don't think the action would be interesting. And with the ammount of novels I don't think it will be cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 15th, 2007, 9:22 pm 

Ah the manga is better yet....no holding back with the blood and sex....ha...

But the anime plus the manga make a perfect combination....Berserk is my fav anime after all....

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 17th, 2007, 8:38 pm 
Regular

Mmsven wrote:
I could try the manga, I would probly be able to go through the story in a more enjoyable way, but I don't think the action would be interesting. And with the ammount of novels I don't think it will be cheap.

The manga has been translated up to volume 18 by darkhorse. You need to read Volume 1-3 and 12-(whenever they finish it). There are also sites that have the latest chapters, but please buy the parts you have'nt read that have been translated.

Dr. Insane-o