Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 24th, 2017, 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2007, 10:00 am 

Wait is that the sequal to Ruruoni Kenshin? Or just one of the later seasons?

If it is I aggree, I love th series I do but after the econd season the whole thing just goes down hill big time. Why did they stray from the excellent Manga story line? If you haven't watched the anime, don't go read the manga it much much better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 9th, 2007, 11:13 am 

Alright I have another one to add tothe list. Now and Then, Here and There. I picked it up because 70 out of 75 people on amazon gave it a glowing review claiming it was one of the best anime ever made. Then I watched it and what I found was easily THE WORST anime I had EVER seen.

Mean the animation is extremely dated even for a eighties anime, the voice acting was completely flat, the plot was copy and pasted from dozens of other shows, the characters were shallow and 2d but the most unforgivable error was the so called grand philosophy of the series . . . IT WAS COMPLETE GARBAG!!! Mean one ep the braught up aportion and all they had to say about it andI quote, Life's to precious, and that's it and that's the way it is with most of the deep philosophy in the series. Mean my god if all you're going to say about a deeply philosophical or debated subject is one stinken line why bring it up at all! Added to that the ending was extremely horrible even for an anime!!

Geesh it was the biggest pile of crap I've ever seen. God I'd like to go and ask what show all these people that thought it was an amazing series saw in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 9th, 2007, 11:36 am 

About Ghost in The Shell, Yeah the movies were slow but as I tell any one that watched try to think less what they're doing then HOW they're doing it and you should have a much better time.

As for Elfin Lied, umm quiet frankly I thought the character designs were well done. Mean they chose pink propably because red would have been cliche`. As for most of the diclonious being shown as young as they were worked well because in many ways outside of Yuta and his cousin they were the most human and incosent out ofthe entire cast. I also think they did to say that being a kid gets you no simpathy if you're different from anyone else. As for the gore, I really didn't find it that exessive, besides the gallons of blood. Mean some of the shows main themes are genocide and the inhumanity of humanity what were you expecting flowers and powder puffs? The nudity I don't get why people say it was excessive, we're taking about people that can turn a pen into a bullet and pretty much anything else so their nudity was a safety precosion. But that's my view at least.

Last edited by The Adict on May 11th, 2007, 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 9th, 2007, 6:03 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Rurouni Kenshin: Seisohen is Rurouni Kenshin Reflection, the ending OVA for the series. I actually didn't mind the ending OVA, I thought that it worked well with the direction they took it, even if I wasn't happy with that direction.

The Adict wrote:
If it is I agree, I love th series I do but after the second season the whole thing just goes down hill big time.

On the other side, yes the third story arc of Rurouni Kenshin is lacking compared to the first two. I think it was another one of these, "crap we caught up with the manga and are unwilling to wait for it." That never seems to work out well at all.

The Adict wrote:
Alright I have another one to add tothe list. Now and Then, Here and There.

lol, you are one of the few my friend. I saw NTHT about 5 years ago, but I really didn't have a problem with it like you did. I though it was a dark interesting tale about a boy that gets sucked into a strange parallel world, but is unwilling to change his beliefs and actions throughout the entire experience, and it's quite an experience. I didn't have a problem with the end either, it wasn't happy in one sense, but it was in another. Spoiler: She gave her life to give all the water back to the world so that the people wouldn't have to fight over it anymore. And she was willing to do it now, as opposed to earlier, because of her new belief in humanity after her experiences with the main character. While I did have some problems with it, I did enjoy the series, so I don't know, to each his own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 10th, 2007, 2:48 am 
Major Contributor

Akira: sorry, a lot of my friends seemed to like this but personally I thought that while the anime does indeed have many layers of meaning, as entertainment it's quite a failure. The action is mediocre at best and didn't keep me interested.

Rurouni Kenshin Seishouhen: not only does it mess with the manga ending (which I liked) but it's too tragic and depressing for a shounen anime. The first OVA (Trust/Betrayal) was a good balance of drama and action and ended with a positive enough note for it to be borderline shounen, but seishouhen completely crosses that line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 11th, 2007, 9:42 am 

Yeah about Samurai X reflections, i have a feeling they aired it before the manga was completely finished. But I still rather enjoyed it. Though the ending was kinda sad but I thought it was quiet believable.

As for Akira: again yeah it has lots of layers to it but its not stuff that hasn't been redonem uch better since it was made.

The same goes for Now and The, Here and There, I guess the major problem I had a problem was how unrealistic it was with the main male character, you do not go threw torture and come out the same afterwords, no one does. Torture is easily the worst thing that can happen to a person and it WILL change a person no matter what. I also thought he was nievee. As for the ending, yes I knew that but I'm not a huge fan of parell world stories that plop the character back into their own world as if nothing happened. But it just wasn't my cup of tea, if I wanted to watch a show about the darker side of humanity and war I'd go watch series that have done it so much better and more reallistically, such as Gundam, Samurai X, Elfin Lied, Saving Private Rien or something like that. To me Gundam in general with a few exceptions and Saving Private Rien are the end all be all when it comes to reallistically war shows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 14th, 2007, 11:56 am 
Resident Scholar

"Shin Seiki Evangelion" is hard stuff. I had to watch it three times in order to understand what I was being given. I made a thesis about it... five years ago, but it was lost and I forgot most of it, too bad.
Well, I still like the series and I hate Shinji. Because I hate people who think low of themselves, but the major reason being the hospital scene with Asuka. Whatever sympathy he might have had in my mind he lost right there.

As for disappointments in Anime, I'd like to name "Slayers".
A friend of mine bought the movies and showed them to me. Other than me, he had also seen the series.
So, we watched the movies and afterwards I always said something like "Nice movie, but what's the point?" and he went like "Yeah, the movies are not over the top, but the series is just great!"

Last year in autumn I finally rented the series and watched them during the evening across a week's time. And in the end I sat on my couch and asked myself: "This is all? This is what all the fans are talking about?"
Don't get me wrong, I liked the characters and there were a few hilarious scenes, but generally it was only a little better than "a waste of time".

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 30th, 2007, 10:00 am 

Now then which Legandaries have I seen that I wasn't to impressed with. Kiddy Grade, I just got done rewatching and to this day I still can't see why people rave about how good it was. The directing was poor for there are quite a few jogs in scenes that shouldn't happen. There were too many Characters, mean if your only going to have the over teams on outside the last eps for less then ten minutes why bother having them? There was to much loliti situation between Lummiar and others, the people also blush way to easy, making you wonder what exactly is happening off screen. Also the pacing was rigid, you'd go from lightening fast to unbarably so all in two or three episodes There were also way to many oh and this is how it is moments that shouldn't exist in an anime.

ANybody feel free to rip on any series you don't like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 30th, 2007, 2:48 pm 

I agree with all said on Evangelion. I got it since so many people loved it. I hated Shinji with a passion and my hate for his character almost caused me to hate the series completely. I still enjoyed the series but I can not for the life of me watch the series for a second time. And that is strange since I have seen every anime series I own at least twice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 11th, 2007, 11:39 am 

I don't know if I'd call this one a legendary series but a series I have to rip on. Heat Guy J. I would be writing glowing reviews. The characters were orginal and likeable. The philosophy though skant was desent. The story line though most episodic was very good. As was the voice acting and music. So what put this on my choping block? The ending another great series, ruined in the last few minutes. Mean the main characters and group just risked their lives to save the freedom of the city they love so what does the main character do after preserving the cities freedom? He . . . leaves? Mean it comes out of no where to smack and leave you wondering what the hell?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 13th, 2007, 12:43 pm 
Resident Scholar

The Adict wrote:
Now and Then, Here and There (...) what I found was easily THE WORST anime I had EVER seen.

I wonder why I have missed this part, must have been quite busy in May.
"Now and Then, Here and There" ("Soko ni iru boku") is, imho, one of the best shows ever.
But of course I can see why some people are disappointed. During the beginning of the first episode you have the protagonist climbing up this chimney and he meets this alien girl, and I thought "Oh my, Earth Boy meets Alien Girl, haven't we had enough of that already?" and then it all crumbles and opens a Pandora's Box of insanity, megalomania and madness.
I only heard of (and watched) it because as friend of mine had bought it for the possibility of romantic aspects and sold it to me for about 10 EUROs, since romance is not even a thought in "Soko ni iru boku". It is an Anime that is definitely not entertaining in any way. I felt it was more like a slap in the face, a fist in the guts, a tour de force of several negative emotions, and I was really moved.

I don't think the purpose was to give you a philosophical lesson or anything, I think it's more about power and ethics.
Who was claiming the show had a superb philosophy? Maybe some fans felt that way, and if this was brought up by advertising you shouln't believe it anyway before watching yourself.

I can't say much about the dubbing, because I watched the Japanese version, and in fact I was pretty much impressed by the Seiyuu's work. I only watched a minute or so in English, for comparison reasons, and as usual I thought it was not worth the time.

What's so bad with the animation? It might not be up-to-date and it's nothing special, but I think it's far from being bad.

BRS I wrote a longer review that went much more into detail, but that, too, was lost.

I really like the show and it feels like a paradox, it is a paradox!, that I'm not too eager to watch it again any time soon because of this sick feeling the portrayed evil gives me. But again, that's what I like about this Anime, the emotions it stirs. But, of course, if you're emotionally detached from the beginning (because you are distracted by superficial factors like graphics and the bad English dub) it won't make a big impression.
This is just a perfect example how the same show has a totally different impact on different people. On an individual level it is impossible to say that a show was really good or really trashy, but if many people more give positive feedback than there are people who give negative feedback the good opinion moves toward the objective but still means nothing in subjective terms. Cut short: Even if you're the only one, if you don't like it you don't like it and I don't think there is anything that I or anybody could say to make you understand the position of someone who likes this series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2007, 4:21 am 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
"Shin Seiki Evangelion" is hard stuff. I had to watch it three times in order to understand what I was being given. I made a thesis about it... five years ago, but it was lost and I forgot most of it, too bad.

Well it's not that difficult to understand really. What makes it difficult to comprehend is mainly due to it being kind of all over the place philosophically wise. In other words, unfocused, which leads to confusion. Especially near the end of the series which basically degenerated into angst mixed with some pseudo-philosophical nonsense.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 16th, 2007, 9:24 am 

Ummm 42317, why is everyone treating me like a noob to anime all of a sudden? I've seen more anime then you, I know all about sponsered hype and to ignore it. Who knows maybe I'll rewatch it and like it. But I doubt out.

Again shows like Elfin Lied, Gundam, Samuria X and a few others I can't think of do each much better in a more complete way.

As for Shin Seiki Evangelion I don't see how it was all over. Spaz you must have watched it after you already understood the stuff it was talking about. For me I didn't find it unfocused, I think for the level of complexity the series handles at the end there is no other way to do it. I think you have to 'know' a dozen truths to 'understand' one truth. Butto each his own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2007, 3:39 pm 
Regular

"why is everyone treating me like a noob to anime all of a sudden? I've seen more anime then you..."

HAHAHAHAHA!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 17th, 2007, 5:26 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
I knew someone was gonna pull out the old "mines bigger than yours" at some point :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next