Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 21st, 2017, 10:43 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Legendaries that wen't so Legendary
PostPosted: April 6th, 2007, 9:21 am 

I realize this may cause some fighting but I though it'd be fun. So has anybody ever gone out picked up on the supposed to be one of the all time greatest anime ever made. Took home poped it in and was expecting to get blown away and find out that it was average or just complete garbage?

For me it's happened quiet a few times. Like with Akira, I've heard everyone to this day how good it was, when i watched it i though it was only a little better then average. Mean i couldn't get myself to really care about the characters, or really figure out what was going on the first time i watched it.

Then there was Metropolis, a good series but no where near the legendary level of hype people throw on it. Personally I think show like ghost in the shell, Chobits and a hand full of other series i can't quiet remember right now do a much better job with then it did. I'll grant it that it was probably the first series to ask those question but it didn't answer them or ask them any where near as well as some of the more recent anime.

There are a few more but i think i'll give someone else a chance. And yes i not expect to live very much longer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 6th, 2007, 1:49 pm 
Newcomer

Do not fear, Adict, no one has been killed for expressing his thoughts on this forum....yet.

I do share your thoughts on Akira. I've heard the manga spans quite a few volumes worth of plot. I guess they tried to cram too much of the manga into the movie. The only thing I remember fondly about it is the bike. Excellent design.

For me, it was the X movie. Too much hype around it. It was a long time ago, though. Maybe it isn't as bad now, but I doubt it.
Sorry if I hurt any feelings out there, but someone had to say it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 6th, 2007, 3:18 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
I have to concur with the fact that Akira, while it is good, is not as good as it is cracked up to be.

I never really knew there was any hype surrounding X the Movie, which is quite crappy in comparison to the series. Though sadly I am not a fan of the series ending either, but before that it was quite enjoyable.

As for adding my own item of Godliness that turned out to be not good at all, and I may be flamed for this... would have to be Neon Genesis Evangelion. I watched this series straight through one night about 4 years ago, and I was floored as to what the appeal of this series was. Since I saw it a while ago, I didn't see the remastered copy, so the animation was lacking. I think Shinji is one of my most hated characters ever. He never got any better, he just kept getting worse and worse, more annoying and weak until the end of the series. I've found few redeeming qualities with the series and have subsequently not watched it since. One of these days I will rewatch it and see if it is actually as bad as I remember.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 6th, 2007, 7:17 pm 
Regular

I have the feeling that Akira was so popular because it was one of the 'first breed' of modern anime to be widely watched by Western audiences. Western animation isn't well known for extremely violent, bloody scenes like Akira featured, which is probably what contributed to its hype. Akira certainly wasn't the first of its kind to feature such stuff, but it was the first to really capture the imagination of Western audiences.

Acmurphy wrote:
As for adding my own item of Godliness that turned out to be not good at all, and I may be flamed for this... would have to be Neon Genesis Evangelion. I watched this series straight through one night about 4 years ago, and I was floored as to what the appeal of this series was. Since I saw it a while ago, I didn't see the remastered copy, so the animation was lacking. I think Shinji is one of my most hated characters ever. He never got any better, he just kept getting worse and worse, more annoying and weak until the end of the series. I've found few redeeming qualities with the series and have subsequently not watched it since. One of these days I will rewatch it and see if it is actually as bad as I remember.

Make sure you watch the movies "End of Evangelion" and "Death and Rebirth". You can totally ignore the final episode of the NGE series; the creator himself admitted that he just threw it together because the two afore-mentioned movies were deemed too distressing for younger audiences to see. :wink:

(On a side note, my younger brother LOVES NGE, and I always get a kick out of riling him up by telling others that NGE is all about giant robots fighting aliens. :P)

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 6th, 2007, 7:27 pm 

Man it's so good to see everyone hating Akira...haha...cause I never thought much about it either...
Sure it was fun but like someone said...they tried to cram so much in only one movie...

And as for X I liked the movie...but only cause I saw the series...more enjoyable that way cause you already know everyone and thier backgrounds...watching the movie before would be very annoying cause everything happens so quickly...

Let's see that leaves Evangelion....sucky ending indeed...and even if you watch the movies (in my opinion) it's still a very very complicated series...
I loved Raxhephon which is somewhat similiar but more understandable...

Still...even if they didn't live the hype...they do entertain you...

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 6th, 2007, 7:53 pm 
Resident Admin

Zaxares wrote:
I have the feeling that Akira was so popular because it was one of the 'first breed' of modern anime to be widely watched by Western audiences. Western animation isn't well known for extremely violent, bloody scenes like Akira featured, which is probably what contributed to its hype. Akira certainly wasn't the first of its kind to feature such stuff, but it was the first to really capture the imagination of Western audiences.

Make sure you watch the movies "End of Evangelion" and "Death and Rebirth". You can totally ignore the final episode of the NGE series; the creator himself admitted that he just threw it together because the two afore-mentioned movies were deemed too distressing for younger audiences to see. :wink:

(On a side note, my younger brother LOVES NGE, and I always get a kick out of riling him up by telling others that NGE is all about giant robots fighting aliens.:P)

True, Akira does have other reasons behind why it is so beloved.

Oh I watched the movies the next day after watching the series, suffice to say they did nothing to elevate my overall opinion. Though it was definitely a better ending than the slide show the series gave us.

Raxhephon on the other hand was much more enjoyable. Definitely a recommended watch in my book.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9th, 2007, 5:48 am 

Yeah NGE or EVA really has a piss poor ending which i shall now spoil, Mean what the hell Shinji decides to try and strengle Aska then decides not and all she has to say is 'terrific'!!?

but yeah I love EVA but more for the philosophy then the actual story line and characters which quiet frankly isn't that good. I concur Shinji is a wuss/winny brat that I'd love to up shot to the back of the head. Yeah your moms dead and your father abandoned you, life's a bitch sometimes get over it.

Now then, it seems everyone that has actually seen a bit of anime thinks Akira sucks, good to know I thought I was the only one.

Now then I actually like X the movie but I havan't seen the series or read the manga and wasn't aware that there was a terrible amount of hype surrounding it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9th, 2007, 6:01 am 

Now then another supposed legendary that i wasn't terribly inpresed by was Escaflowne the series, not the movie, loved the movie that deserved the hype for the most part but the series eh? :?

The animation was poor, the characters were weak, mean you know how the main characters feel about each other for the majority of the series yet they only get things moving in the last few episodes argh!!! The politics were shaky and the whole evil empire out to conquer the world is over done and frankly what's so evil about conquering the world? Yeah i didn't really enjoy the series at all.

Ummm what other one that's on the tip of my tongue oh yes Love Hina. Don't get me wrong I love the animated series and the two movie and the OVA I thought they were grwat and wonderful, until I read the manga. After that I saw it for what it was, a pale shadow of pure geniuses! The manga and anime are like night and day, near completely different stories all together. Akamatus an amazing writer and the actual good parts of the series are the parts the anime people just left alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9th, 2007, 6:37 am 
Regular

The Adict wrote:
Yeah NGE or EVA really has a piss poor ending which i shall now spoil, Mean what the hell Shinji decides to try and strengle Aska then decides not and all she has to say is 'terrific'!!?

Um, are you sure that's what she said?

In my version, the translation was 'What a disgusting feeling...' Opinion seems to be out on whether she was referring to the sensation of Shinji's tears falling on her face, or whether she was finally admitting the feelings she had for Shinji (and she still can't come straight out and say it).

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9th, 2007, 7:01 am 

Some pieces are overhyped - but that doesn't necessarily mean they're bad. Just overhyped.

What I'm sad about? Elfen Lied. To be more accurate: I haven't watched it through one episode yet. The character design's too childish for the gore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9th, 2007, 3:02 pm 

Dei wrote:
What I'm sad about? Elfen Lied. To be more accurate: I haven't watched it through one episode yet. The character design's too childish for the gore.
Haha, exactly, I always thought like that, pink hair and big eyes don´t seem to go well with a serious theme, more even so when it has so much gore in it. I can stand the violence and gore in most shows but the pink made me feel sick.

Well, if its about dissapointing anime series, i´m gonna have to say Ghost in the Shell, i´ll describe it in one word, boring.
Hmm, Getbackers also gets my thumbs down, I started watching it a couple of years ago, after watching this uberawesome clip, and finished just a couple days ago, it´s not that it´s boring, but the story doesn´t go anywhere, the characters are lacking, and the fights sucked, most of them at least, if i had been given all the characters and the concept of the story i could have written a much more interesting story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9th, 2007, 8:09 pm 

I wish Elfen Lied did the violence and gore like how NGE did. NGE did violence and gore using children pretty well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10th, 2007, 12:04 am 
Newcomer

Yep, NGE was a torment for me too. If I remember correctly, the most popular phrase was: I mustn't run away. I mustn't run away. I mustn't run away.
Courtesy of Shinji Ikkari, the fearless protagonist.

I've heard too many times how this is the anime that set a milestone for the rest, etcetera, etcetera... But not for me.
A guy I know was so enthralled by this series, he grew a Commander Ikkari-type of beard. He did look the part, though. He even got himself the Mickey Mouse gloves the guy wore.

I just found the series and movies disappointing. I did like the religious references. It gave the series an overwhelming feeling of despair. Particularly near the ending.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10th, 2007, 3:21 am 
Resident Admin

Dei wrote:
Some pieces are overhyped - but that doesn't necessarily mean they're bad. Just overhyped.

You really should give it a shot. I never really had a problem with the character designs myself. I guess I just felt the "childish" character designs made the excessive gore in it feel even more sinister. Nevertheless, Elfen Lied as a whole is excellent, one of my personal favorites.

Zaxares wrote:
In my version, the translation was 'What a disgusting feeling...' Opinion seems to be out on whether she was referring to the sensation of Shinji's tears falling on her face, or whether she was finally admitting the feelings she had for Shinji (and she still can't come straight out and say it).

Ya, mine was something like that as well. Either that she had feelings for him, or she was commenting on a little something he was doing while looking at her half naked in the hospital. Works better with the, "How disgusting" translation. His words never rang truer at that point in which he said, "I'm so fucked up."

The Adict wrote:
Now then another supposed legendary that i wasn't terribly inpresed by was Escaflowne the series, not the movie, loved the movie that deserved the hype for the most part but the series eh?

After that I saw it for what it was, a pale shadow of pure geniuses! The manga and anime are like night and day, near completely different stories all together.

Well, I am personally a fan of Escaflowne the series, but I can see where people would have problems with it.

Concerning Love Hina, I guess I will have to check out the manga than.

wolfwood wrote:
Well, if its about dissapointing anime series, i´m gonna have to say Ghost in the Shell, i´ll describe it in one word, boring.
Hmm, Getbackers also gets my thumbs down.

Well, I recently purchased the whole Getbackers series, so I hope it isn't too bad...

Slight Ghost in the Shell spoilers below.

On the other hand I just finished watching the Ghost in the Shell SAC 1st Gig, and found it enjoyable, if not a little slow. My main problem was with the ending though, the couple episodes leading up to the last were great, but they had to do one of those, haha fooled you type things. Well, they had to do this to get a second season, but it would have been nice if everything going on had been for "real."

Looks like I need to add a spoilers tag mod, I'll look into it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2007, 4:02 am 

I almost forgot:

Rurouni Kenshin: Seisohen

Last edited by Dei on April 11th, 2007, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.