Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 12th, 2017, 1:04 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Final Fantasy XII sucks
PostPosted: April 8th, 2007, 11:31 pm 

Anybody agrees?

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9th, 2007, 12:47 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
I haven't gotten to play it yet, but plan to at some point. I have played almost every other Final Fantasy game and haven't really be disappointed yet, so saying FF12 sucks is quite a statement in my book. What exactly is your problem with it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9th, 2007, 3:44 am 

Heh. I'm looking for someone to rant with not at. I can't pinpoint what the problem is - and that's actually why I started this thread. As I can say that there seems to be something wrong about this game, I can't say what it is.

Sorry admin, if you find it irresponsible for me to start a thread with just two words. But discussing it with somebody who hasn't played the game yet would be a very dry conversation. Besides, ff I tell you my experience, you may get bias when you finally get to play the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9th, 2007, 3:52 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
No problem. I was just wondering what could be so wrong with this release thats it could be that bad. Hopefully someone thats played it will be able to join in.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 9th, 2007, 11:39 pm 
Newcomer

All right, Dei, I'm game.

First of all, is it just me, or did the plot seem a bit too vanilla?
Final Fantasy Lite. Now in stores near you.
(Sorry for using vanilla)

Another thing. The main character didn't seem to be one. The first Final where YOU are the sidekick. Batman and Vaan, the Beginning.

Halfway through the game, with all the talk of Empire, and with the airship battles, and all the Judges sounding like Darth Vader, I felt like I was playing Star Wars. You have to admit, Balthier couldn't be more like Solo, even if he tried. Although, Fran makes a much prettier Chewbacca.

I have more, but only if you really want it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10th, 2007, 1:20 am 

Shaidar Haran wrote:

First of all, is it just me, or did the plot seem a bit too vanilla?

My first 60 hours into the game, I was still hoping that the story would develop to a point I would actually care. However, after knowing that I'm already past halfway of the game, Giruvegan, I've lost all hope.

The story has absolutely zero character development. ZERO. In fact, this is probably the first final fantasy that prioritizes gameplay over story.

I'm willing to bet I could've finished this game by now if I ignored the gajillion side quests. Clan hunts are too tedious yet unrewarding. Plus, they can't mask the fact that FFXII is just lacking character development.

The story is almost all about about getting from point a-b, b-c, c-d, and back again. Around 80%(maybe even more) of the game is walking, walking, walking. The places are huge but devoid of anything of interest. I know they were trying to bring in the epicness of Final Fantasy Tactics here, since most of the staff were also involved in Tactics, but they absolutely failed here. In fact, the places are so boring that I just use the map for navigation. And really, once you get used to the map, you'll realize this game world is actually tiny. There's no world map, so you'll just be surprised to realize that you've just walked continents. That just ruined the grandness of the game for me.

I could bear the new fighting system. In fact, I applaud them for trying to innovate one facet of RPGs that has seemingly become stagnant. However, it has been much better implemented in Vagrant Story. MUCH, MUCH better. Offensive magic is useless unless in good matchups.

Art direction seems way, way weaker here than previous installments. Or rather, the art direction seems misguided. Since the beginning of the game, it seems as if the game is trying to choke you with "mystique and wonder" that you actually get sick of it. For some reason, I am no longer wowed by flying islands, airships, glowing crystals etc.

This wasn't the first Matsuno game that had you witnessing the events unfold and having little to do with the politics. Final Fantasy Tactics did that - but, FFT did that well. Ramza was a man and there was more character development during the first act of FFT than in my 60 hours of FFXII. Vaan is a pussy. You could ignore the first events of the game involving Vaan up until the seige of the Rabanastre Palace. This is the first Final Fantasy that had me wishing the protagonist actually fails. Balthier was an ass. Of course, maybe its just because they should've been the protagonist in the first place - but even so, he's an arrogant ass.

And, is it just me, or is this the first Final Fantasy that had the soundtrack bore me to sleep? Sure, there are some tracks that were nice, but majority sound alike, and, worst of all, monotonous. Its not in the level of FFT, which astounds me as both games have the same composer.

Quote:
I have more, but only if you really want it.

Heh. I'm also having difficulty saying the things I hate about FFXII. All the elements in the game come full circle - but it just seems there's something wrong in every nook and crany.

Compare this to FFIX and you'll realize this game is pitiful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10th, 2007, 9:31 am 
Lurker

One of the only upsides (if you can call it an upside) of this game was that it was ridiculously easy to grind out the levels without even really watching the game. I guess it's more of a downside than anything else... After a while, I slipped into my levelling mentality, set up a web of gambits, found a nice spot, and began twirling the analog around while I watched the Discovery Channel.

Gambit system made the game so easy, I didn't have to even pay attention anymore... :x

Oh, and the way they pronounced certain words seriously grated on my nerves. Sometimes letters ARE SILENT.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10th, 2007, 3:56 pm 

Kesshi wrote:
One of the only upsides (if you can call it an upside) of this game was that it was ridiculously easy to grind out the levels without even really watching the game. I guess it's more of a downside than anything else... After a while, I slipped into my levelling mentality, set up a web of gambits, found a nice spot, and began twirling the analog around while I watched the Discovery Channel.

Gambit system made the game so easy, I didn't have to even pay attention anymore... :x

Oh, and the way they pronounced certain words seriously grated on my nerves. Sometimes letters ARE SILENT.

You mean the British accent on the Imperials? Annoyed the hell out of me too. There's actually an explanation of that: Alexander O. Smith, the same acclaimed translator for Vagrant Story, tried to replicate the same accent difference present in the Japanese script. Before I knew this, I thought they were relatig the Arcadians to the British. It didn't help that all the generic Imperials had the same voice actor.

I like the gambit system, actually. However, I hated the fact that I had to actually buy gambits. Gameplay related stuff like that should be available from the start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 10th, 2007, 4:04 pm 

I actually liked FFXII, but it was a huge let down to me. Let me say that i've only play FFX and FFXII and for the life of my i can't figure out what they hell people keep going on and on abnout how great the franchise is. Mean i love RPGs but every RPG of the FF franchise just came offas average to me.

This is espicially true for FFXII, the sotry line was so damn predictable by the time i had played the first five hours i could already predict pretty acturately what the was going to happen for the rest of the game.

Second there was wwwaaaayyyyy to much walking 90% of the damn thing is just walking one place to another. The fighting system though the best real time combat system i've played on and RPG was just plan boring, mean when you can walk threw an ENITRE map and let the computer do everything what's the point?

Then the monsters were so easier they but you to sleep or so hard the had you about to thrw your controller at the screen. Mean when to you have four boss in a row and still have to give the thing immunity to all my attack to stop me from beating it in five minutes of complete boredom there's a problem

The hunts side quests had me laughing my pants off, from rank VII on they're harder then the bosses but are to hard to find so you spend hours trying to find the stupid thing then die then spend another few hours getting it to reappear to try again and then after all the trouble get 3,000 gil and a teleportstone? I could have done that, and did, just wondering around the stupid field.

Another thing that bothered me were the equipment. You could only find certain Equipment and spells at certain places at certain times so once again you have to wonder about trying to get everything leading to tedeum. Mean just let me buy all the weapons or whatever at ever shope of said type instead of scattering the about. This ticked me off as I really wanted to get the best armor weapons exc. before facing the finally boss but i couldn't find them! Add tothe fact that the main factor in how powerful your character are is based off their weaponary this futher irritates the subject.

I also think character developement was a joke. All they were cooky cutter character's with really thought put into them. Then agai nthere was really no orginality in the entire thing. Any of it

Lasty is my pet peve with games that the game is series abuser. There is absolutely no reward for beating the game, nothing notta. Mean the least they could have done is let use view the cute scenes at will. But nooooo they don't even give us a save point in the last level of the so you have to play the entire thing all over again if you want to face the finally boss. But yeah FFXII does have a few good points but i just finished beating the game about two hours and it was a huge let down what a slop ending. Mean honestly the Japanese need to take lessons on how to make a proper ending to a story as most of the them suck, mean they didn't even answer all the questions they possed like why the damn stones responded to Vaan as well as Ashe.

Okay rant seccession over, in the end if you want a truly great RPG that actually gives you something for beating it go play Xeonsaga III. It still have a weak ending and I had a deep desire to smack Shoin and yell Life's a bitch some times get used to it but still far better then ANY other RPG i've played for the PS2 gene.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2007, 3:42 am 

The Adict wrote:
I actually liked FFXII, but it was a huge let down to me. Let me say that i've only play FFX and FFXII and for the life of my i can't figure out what they hell people keep going on and on abnout how great the franchise is. Mean i love RPGs but every RPG of the FF franchise just came offas average to me.

Sucks for you not getting to play VII, VIII and IX. I personally feel being left out by not being able to play I-VI. Older players cite VI as the best while people in my age bracket like VII. I personally love VIII and IX.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2007, 4:18 am 

Location: A country which most people doesn't want to know about...
Not sucks for me but most disappointing FF series ever.I just dislike the battle system and quality of voice-acting.You spent most of your playing time watching the combat and walking around.The voice-acting was good but the audio qaulity sucks.It sounds like they are recorded in mono quality or something else.I really wonder why most critics praised the battle system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2007, 10:06 am 

Yeah, the combat system was okay but it sucked for the most part. I say this because I play RPGs because most of the older games in the genre required ALOT of strategy to win especially with bosses. Mean I do like my twich games but I play RPGs to use my grey matter and for the intereting story lines. FFXII comes up short in both areas.

Then again I'm a harsh critic when it come to video games. When it comes to RPGs the best I've played was Grandian III on the old Sega Dreamcast and Xenosaga III both had compeling stories, inticate combat systems and likeable characters, still really want to smack Shion though.

Last edited by The Adict on May 20th, 2007, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 11th, 2007, 7:23 pm 

The gambit system was okay for me since what I programmed my characters to do were things I would do myself in those circumstances. However, I hated the fact that I had to buy the gambits first. That was just stupid. Gameplay related stuff like that should've been given to you at the start.

I also hated the fact that you had to buy nearly every piece of equipment before you can advance as your characters are so equipment dependent. I could survive battles using old stuff in VII, VIII, IX and even FFT but not here.

What annoys me most about the battle system is that every place in the game seems to have been tailored for the battle system. Look at the environment of the game - all very wide and empty to make room for battles. I feel as if the battle system put a limit on how the environments should've looked.

I also hated how the game made killing big creatures a small deal. Almost every bad guy in the game was big, which kinda takes the fun away of slaying a big creature.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 15th, 2007, 6:17 pm 

I agree on all those points.

yeah the equipment was emmeniously annoying. Mean one time I had a real nock down drag out final boss difficulty fight with a mid leave monster to the point I just gave up. Then after I got the new equipment I went back and kill it with ease with my characters at the EXACTLY SAME levels. Add to that I really have no clue besides moving onto new chapters how to unlock the equipment.

But i found now that I actually think about it, what I disliked the most about the game is that it was just too easy. Mean yes I'm one of the players that tend to level up their characters well past the minum levels required to beat the game but given everything out side of Health points was dictated by you equipment it was waaaayyy to easy. As i said earlier when you have to give me four bosses in a row and still give the last one immunity from all my attackers for ten minutes to prevent me from completely breezing threw there's a problem. Also that many of the side quest monsters were harder then the end boss. And yeah the areas were too small and most definately made around the commbat system.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 15th, 2007, 8:11 pm 

I haven't played 12 yet... but would gladly discuss why X-2 sucked... lol.