Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 13th, 2017, 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Welcome to the new Animetric Forum!
PostPosted: March 13th, 2007, 5:55 pm 

I would like to welcome everyone to the new and (hopefully) improved Animetric forum. I would like to thank Aaron for making this site up and running again and that everyone enjoy their stay here on Animetric.com.

Anyways, look around, post, and have some fun.

Remember to read the rules here and enjoy your stay :)

Post subject: oh man...
PostPosted: March 14th, 2007, 7:50 am 
Newcomer

:shock: Zomg finally! Finally i can be a shameless lurker on a forum with ppl posting...instead of posting on a dead ghost forum that no one knows about >_<.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 19th, 2007, 10:58 pm 

Well animedude...you're probably the only one I know here for now...but it's good to see boards back!!!

...let me spread the news...

Now to make me a new sig...

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 26th, 2007, 7:49 am 
Regular

It's good to BE back. :D

Now to start the long process of increasing my post count...

(Just kidding.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2007, 4:55 pm 
Newcomer

Zaxares wrote:
It's good to BE back. :D

Now to start the long process of increasing my post count...

I'm back... Hey Zaxares I remember you from the last incarnation of the board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: April 20th, 2007, 8:00 pm 
Regular

I remember you too. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 14th, 2007, 6:28 am 
Resident Scholar

Aaah... feels good to have me sea legs back, mate Simon...
The hunt fort the One Post is on. 8)

Post subject: Re: Welcome to the new Animetric Forum!
PostPosted: May 15th, 2008, 4:59 pm 
Resident Scholar

I guess now it is

"Welcome to the NEW new Animetric Forum!" :lol:

What's a "Global Moderator" by the way, as opposed to a "normal" moderator?

PostPosted: May 15th, 2008, 6:36 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
42317 wrote:
I guess now it is

"Welcome to the NEW new Animetric Forum!" :lol:

What's a "Global Moderator" by the way, as opposed to a "normal" moderator?

:D doubly new!

A global moderator just has powers closer to that of the admin, with the ability to manage bans, issue warnings, change the name of a posters post to a different one (Whenever you would need to do that I have no idea), as well as all the other standard mod abilities.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2009, 7:33 am 
Resident Scholar

Acmurphy, is the term "Animetric" protected or copyrighted or in any other way exclusive?
I guess not, I just thought you bought the rights to the name for exclusive use as well.
Just a guess, though. Because Rowena is happily and continuingly using Animetric as a username/pseudonym on the web.

I'm not saying I think she's doing anything inappropriate, not at all. I just happened to stumble across these sites looking for "Animetric" on the web (because my browser at uni still has the old ibforums URL saved), making me curious.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2009, 9:06 am 
Resident Admin

No, it isn't protected in any "specific" way. If Rowena had any sort of protection on it when I purchased the site initially, the rights over the name would have transferred to me (like if she had it trademarked or something). However, since she didn't have it protected nothing like that ever transpired and I never invested any time into getting the Animetric name trademarked. Never really though about it, guess I didn't figure it was going to be something people would be fighting over (at least not yet, but one day to be sure!)

Now, since the website has been using the name for so long, I don't know how it would work if someone tried to trademark the name. Say if someone bought Animetric.net and trademarked the name, I don't know if they would have any control over telling me I couldn't use the name anymore or that I would need to change the domain name. It's an interesting question to be sure, maybe I should trademark the bastard so I don't have to find out :shifty: The only way in which it could really be seen as "exclusive" is the fact that my limited liability company's name is Animetric LLC. Meaning no one else, at least in the US, can register a business using that name. I don't know how that would work with any sort of trademark dispute either. I would suspect, sort of like with copyright law, as long as I can prove I was using the name first that I would be able to claim the trademark first. (If I remember correctly, if someone tries to copyright something and you can prove you came up with the idea before he did you can get the copyright instead. It's a defense against someone stealing your idea and then running off and copyrighting it before you do.)

Which isn't to say that I, as the owner and buyer of the Animetric site don't have the higher claim to the name now that I own it (if we're looking at Rowena and I specifically). As the buyer of Animetric, I basically purchased the domain name, the website, its content and the general and implied rights to the name. Technically, if my understanding as outlined above is correct, if she tried to trademark the name I should be able to intercede and get the trademark for myself. Because, since I bought "Animetric" I basically bought her out of her claim over the name when she sold the site to me. If that's what you were really wondering about. This should also hold true if anyone else tired to trademark it, since I have assumed the rights Rowena would have had as the "creator" or "originator of the name" by buying it from her. In essence... I am Rowena! :blink:

And now I've spent way too much time thinking about this :? I don't really know that, without it being trademarked, that I would have any claim over exclusive rights to the name. And we never said anything about her not being able to use the name anymore as a condition of the sale, so I would imagine that if I wanted to stop her I would have to get the trademark and then enforce it.

Rowena sort of went from being the "Web diva formerly known as Animetric" to running a blog and twitter thing pretty much using Animetric as her main name. I have Google send me updates each week of any new pages on the web using the word "Animetric" in them, and nowadays it's filled with her blog and twitter posts :lol: It doesn't really matter to me though, just gets the Animetric name out there more. It's not like she's running the name through the mud or anything.

PostPosted: April 24th, 2009, 11:56 am 

Acmurphy wrote:
In essence... I am Rowena! :blink:

:lol:

Acmurphy wrote:
It doesn't really matter to me though, just gets the Animetric name out there more. It's not like she's running the name through the mud or anything.

As a marketing guy, I totally agree with your approach. However, a lawyer might strongly disagree. I am not a lawyer, I just had to deal with a bunch of them, so if you want a full opinion, you may need to find one who specialized in Intelectual Property Law. What they may tell you is that unless you copyright or trademark Animetric, if you allow Rowena to use the name, you are not defending your intellectual property and thus, allowing it to become public domain. In that situation, ANYONE can use the name Animetric.

I don't know how your special circumstances and agreements would affect that interpretation, depends upon the judge and the lawyers if it comes to that. Maybe you can have Rowena add "Animetric name property of Animetric LLC and used by permission" and give her a free license to use the name out of respect for founding the site or something. This prevents the public domain argument for sure, but may be a hassle to get worded and insult Rowena. I don't know her, so I don't know how she'd react.

++First Project: Princess Code++ ++MIA 2009++
Just released a non-H, Animal Game for the iPhone August 2010!

PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 8:28 am 
Resident Admin

You could certainly be right, I am not intellectual property expect either, but I do not have the will, desire or money to trademark it and try to enforce it in the interwebs. Maybe if some unknown party was trying to do something with the name I would take um, measures to protect it, but as it stands now, and as its been for the past two+ years, none of it is really a concern to me. If I can transform the site into something more over the coming years than ya, I'll see what I can't do about protecting a more valuable name, but for now it's just cost and time prohibitive.

I certainly appreciate your words though, it is not a situation you want to find yourself on the wrong end of, just in the case of Animetric I really don't see any of it as a problem at this point. Not till Rowena starts her global Animetric empire anyway :doh:

PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 9:28 am 
Resident Scholar

Acmurphy wrote:
If I can transform the site into something more over the coming years than ya, I'll see...

How long will it be until you finish college, have a job, a wife, and kids and no more time for the forums? :lol:

PostPosted: April 26th, 2009, 10:27 pm 
Resident Admin

42317 wrote:
How long will it be until you finish college, have a job, a wife, and kids and no more time for the forums? :lol:

Who knows. But I would like to think I'll be able to stick with it while I am still interested in anime and the fandom in general. While I've had my moments of burnout, usually due to excessive watching, I've never really felt like it was something I didn't want to continue with. It is just a medium after all. My time may get constrained as outside forces try to take up my precious spare moments, but I would like to think, if nothing else, I will still be able to get a review a week written. *crosses fingers*