Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 19th, 2017, 8:34 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Drow drops by once again!
PostPosted: August 9th, 2007, 6:42 am 
Newcomer

Hello guys! Anyone remember The Drow?

It's been a while! Actually, I had completety forgotten about this place, untill google brought it to my attention recently. It seems a lot has changed, but feels good to be back! :D

It's been like - 4 years? I used to visit this place a lot back then. I remember writing lots of useless immature posts, and god did my english suck - oh, those were the days! :roll: My english still sucks, but puberty is over and I don't consider myself much of an "otaku" anymore.

However, my interest in manga and anime has developed into a keen interest in japanese language, culture and society. I have been studying Japanese by myself, though high school took at lot of my time, so I'm still quite the beginner. Last summer, before my third year of high school, I went to Japan to travel around with my penpal for three weeks. She then visited me here in Denmark, this summer.

I have been very lucky to be selected by the Japanese Embassy as a participant in this year's Japan-EU Mutual Understanding Scholarship Program. I'll be shipping out in 10 days. Me and 30 fellow Europeans will, after meeting, be staying in Japan for half a year, living with host families and attending Japanese highschools throughout the country - and everything is paid for by the government! I am one lucky bastard.

I am still fond of anime, and more so of manga. There are quite a few gems, but a whole lot of crap too. I'm in love with the three mangaka Kaiji Kawaguchi (Zipang, Spirit of the Sun), Makoto Yukimura (Planetes, Vinland Saga) and Naoki Urasawa (Monster, 20th Century Boys). I'm not really into comedy and lighthearted stuff.

For the past 4 years I have been moderating Denmarks biggest manga-related forum, but it's not that big really - manga is not as big here, as in America.

Well, that's Drow.

I probably won't visit too often while in Japan (too much English communication will disrupt my Japanese learning), but you'll see more of me! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2007, 7:30 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Wolcome to the forum Dhaerow!

Sounds like you have some fun happenings coming up in your life. Hopefully the Japan scholarship program will be very enjoyable for you. (Quite a nice added bonus that it's all paid for :) ) Hope you make the most of it 8)

A lot of old members are back on the forum, in its what, 4th or 5th incarnation, so you may recognize some of them. I remember your name from a discussion somewhere on the forum, I believe, so we hadn't forgotten about you even after all these years!

Anywho, nice to have ya back on the forum!

Post subject: Re: The Drow drops by once again!
PostPosted: August 9th, 2007, 8:47 am 
Resident Scholar

Dhaerow wrote:
I have been very lucky to be selected by the Japanese Embassy as a participant in this year's Japan-EU Mutual Understanding Scholarship Program. I'll be shipping out in 10 days. Me and 30 fellow Europeans will, after meeting, be staying in Japan for half a year, living with host families and attending Japanese highschools throughout the country - and everything is paid for by the government! I am one lucky bastard.

DROOOOL!!

Dhaerow wrote:
Denmarks biggest manga-related forum, but it's not that big really

Well, it's a small country. 5.5 m inhabitants... it's the fans' passion that counts! 8)

Dhaerow wrote:
too much English communication will disrupt my Japanese learning

Um, not true I'd say. I started with Animetric in early 2004 when I was living in Hirosaki and according to my experience you'll be so immersed in Japanese culture and language, especially if you're in a host family (who override the option "too much English", in contrast to a dorm), that you'll enhance your Japanese language proficiency even without organized support by a teaching institution. Your English abilities are beyond a learner's so I don't see any danger.
In the end, of course, the decision is yours, concentrating on Japanese alone will improve your results at some degree, but usually you won't be able to escape the environment of English speakers, native or not, anyway. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2007, 4:26 pm 

Ah yes Sir Drow...I remember you indeed....

Ha welcome back!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2007, 8:31 pm 
Regular

Now your's is a name I remember. Welcome back, Drow!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2007, 10:53 pm 

Welcome back man! you are so lucky! If I could go back in time and attend high school in Japan I would be one happy man!!! Really that's about the only dream I'll never be able to fulfill.
Once you get to Japan you have fun for all of us who never had a chance like that. :mrgreen: :D
I'm so envious!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2007, 3:49 am 
Major Contributor

Holy sh!t, the Drow's back . . . :lol:

This is when I'd usually come up with something clever, but alas . . . :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2007, 9:27 am 

you're not going to show us all a semi nude gendo are you :shock:

nah welcome back :lol:

#1 Chloe fanatic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 16th, 2007, 2:28 am 
Newcomer

Oh, and thanks for the welcome by the way :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 18th, 2007, 5:31 am 
Newcomer

:shock: I break my lurker silence to greet you oh mighty one of drow'ness...

Welcome back!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 21st, 2007, 8:56 am 
Lurker

woah, i thought it was you, cause of your avatar, but i was wondering when you'd show up, Drow-san. I was takayuki yamano on the old forums, but it's nice to see a veteran like yourself show up! :D *bows*