Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Boondocks
PostPosted: August 8th, 2007, 5:10 pm 
Post Master

I am wondering, am I the only one who has seen The Boondocks? It hasn't been mentioned by anyone in this forum. (its considered anime isn't it?)

Some of the episodes are hilarious. Theres alot of violence, swearing and people acting like idiots.

Post subject: Re: The Boondocks
PostPosted: August 8th, 2007, 7:36 pm 
Resident Scholar

Moonunit wrote:
I am wondering, am I the only one who has seen The Boondocks? It hasn't been mentioned by anyone in this forum.

I've never even once heard of the title! :D
How about a more elaborate summary than this:
Quote:
There's a lot of violence, swearing and people acting like idiots.

You're not actually advertising the show you know...
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8th, 2007, 8:24 pm 
Post Master

It was not meant to be an advertisement. Just wondering what other peoples opinions on the show are.

You probly haven't heard of it because it airs on cartoon networks.

If you want a detailed summary you can visit the wiki.

Edit-Copied this from the wiki

Like the comic strip, the television version of The Boondocks is a satirical situation comedy revolving around the lives of the Freeman family. Elementary-school aged black brothers Huey and Riley Freeman have been moved by their Granddad, Robert Freeman, from inner city South Side Chicago, Illinois to the quiet and almost completely white suburb of Woodcrest, Maryland (similar to Woodridge, Illinois). Because of the long turnaround time required for each episode, The Boondocks show avoids the topical nature of its newspaper counterpart, and instead covers more long-standing issues involving race relations and politics, including: the assimilation of black people into white culture and the bias against black people that is still evident in it, what would have happened if Martin Luther King, Jr. had gone into a coma instead of dying (and finally awoke in 2000), and the R. Kelly sex scandal controversy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8th, 2007, 9:31 pm 

Since its not strictly a Japanese Animation.... and is more of something that goes along the lines of South Park or Family Guy and the snuff.... maybe the thread is better in General Discussion. (Maybe the Live Action forum should become a TV and Cinema thread......)

Personally I haven't watched it but it sounds pretty damn crazy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8th, 2007, 9:52 pm 
Post Master

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Since its not strictly a Japanese Animation.... and is more of something that goes along the lines of South Park or Family Guy and the snuff.... maybe the thread is better in General Discussion. (Maybe the Live Action forum should become a TV and Cinema thread......)

Personally I haven't watched it but it sounds pretty damn crazy.

Well it has the anime art style. And the next season is going to be produced by a Japanese company.

Copied from the wiki-

The series was renewed for a 20-episode second season and was scheduled to premiere in June 2007. It has been announced that the new season has been pushed back to October 2007. [1][2] The second season will feature animation produced by the Japanese animation studio Madhouse.[3]

Last edited by Mmsven on August 2nd, 2008, 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2007, 4:41 am 

I guess it really depends on the personal definition of anime since it does vary from person to person. Art style probably doesn't mean too much since theres like the badly emulated... Teen Titans and some other shit like that which I wouldn't call anime. But whatever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2007, 4:54 am 
Post Master

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
I guess it really depends on the personal definition of anime since it does vary from person to person. Art style probably doesn't mean too much since theres like the badly emulated... Teen Titans and some other shit like that which I wouldn't call anime. But whatever.

Teen Titans is indeed shit. But The Boondocks actually looks like anime.

Picture

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2007, 6:38 am 
Lurker

Moonunit wrote:
It was not meant to be an advertisement. Just wondering what other peoples opinions on the show are.

Relax, Moonunit. he was mocking advertisers, not you. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2007, 7:00 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Well, The Boondocks is a little hard to place. As the common definition of anime is something animated in Japan, Boondocks would soon fit that bill. However, if you modify that definition to fit only titles animated in Japan and made for Japan, then you would leave it out of anime title considerations, since Boondocks is made for the US audience.

At any rate, I am not sure how I would actually classify it, since it is one of those enigmas, but I am not a big fan of the show regardless. However, some of the episodes I have seen have had some rather hilarious parts, so it does have its moments.

Last edited by Acmurphy on August 9th, 2007, 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 9th, 2007, 9:23 am 
Resident Scholar

Moonunit wrote:

I wasn't mocking you (and I wasn't mocking advertisers either, still thanks to rory_okane for the appeasing comment), I just wanted to express that attributes like
Quote:
a lot of violence, swearing and people acting like idiots
usually don't convince ordinary people that they should take the time to watch it. :wink:
You like the show, so it seems to me you use such a description to say why you like it, but the very same words could (will?) be found in an article that states why the show is not worth a second thought.

After the summary I realize it's not Anime... that's probably why I don't know it. My social environment is not very much interested in non-Japanese works, so nobody could pass such information.

Moonunit wrote:
it has the anime art style. And the next season is going to be produced by a Japanese company

The label "Anime" is usually attached to animated shows of Japanese origin.
Everything else is, well, an "animated cartoon".
I agree that boundaries are hardly visible. Many Anime are made with massive Korean cooperation for example, and foreign productions often sport what fans perceive as a Japanese style. As for myself I usually stick to the executive studio, whereas others say that "Anime" has certain features and that a show produced in Japan that works with US American stylistic devices is not Anime.
Opinions differ greatly and dictionaries of Japanese popular culture are not helping either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 10th, 2007, 8:13 am 
Post Master

42317 wrote:
Moonunit wrote:

I wasn't mocking you (and I wasn't mocking advertisers either, still thanks to rory_okane for the appeasing comment), I just wanted to express that attributes like
Quote:
a lot of violence, swearing and people acting like idiots
usually don't convince ordinary people that they should take the time to watch it. :wink:
You like the show, so it seems to me you use such a description to say why you like it, but the very same words could (will?) be found in an article that states why the show is not worth a second thought.

I'm sorry but the show is hard to describe. You won't really know what it's like until you watch it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2007, 12:47 pm 

I don't really like Boondocks, at all. Think its a pile of garbage and should be incinerated as soon as possible. Soory not a big fan of people being just plan stupid and being handed off as comedy when it's not funny. Now robot chicken that's funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 4th, 2007, 3:41 pm 
Lurker

Boondocks synapsis: Two street-wise and often smart mouthed youths are living with their grandfather in a predominantly white neighborhood and tackle various odd, often racially charged, situations. The comic may have been more influential and better at tackling the political issues of the day, I don't know, I never read the strip. All I know is that the animated version of the Boondocks is mostly hit and miss with its humor.

There. Not that hard to describe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: September 4th, 2007, 7:14 pm 
Post Master

Kesshi wrote:
There. Not that hard to describe.

You must have better Engrish then me. I am not a very social person, so I have a hard time describing stuff.