Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 23rd, 2017, 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Appleseed Thoughts
PostPosted: August 5th, 2007, 10:42 pm 
Major Contributor

Said in the "watching now" thread I'd post my thoughts about Appleseed... I cant really decide which version is better. They're two completely different stories; the only thing linking them are the main characters. There's a variation of spelling in Deunan's name, but I think the newer version is more accurate. Hitomi also comes off as a drunk in the 88 version, which I don't believe is the case in the newer version.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
I liked the CG version. Well Appleseed had older roots in a more ancient animated series which was adapted from a manga if I'm not mistaken.

Quote's from the other thread; just thought it'd be more appropriate to reply here. Don't remember anything about an anime series for Appleseed. Know it's based on Shirow Masamune's manga, but isn't that always the case when his name's on an anime video? An Appleseed series, though? Unless your thinking of Dominion Tank Police, I'm not so sure. Sometimes you can find a reference to one Shirow title in another, though. For example, I saw a reference to Black Magic M-66 (another Shirow title I have on VHS) on the back of a magazine Deunan was looking at in the old Appleseed today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2007, 9:33 am 
Resident Scholar

I didn't like "Appleseed" in the first place and when they released the CG version (I hate CG-only "Anime") I couldn't even bring forth the motivation to articulate my opinion and my comment remained a snort... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2007, 12:49 pm 

The CG version looked nice, and had some pretty fun land mate battles.... and is good for what it is. Some rather pointless shallow action. It was a lot more amusing than the two GITs movies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 6th, 2007, 2:53 pm 
Resident Scholar

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Some rather pointless shallow action. (Appleseed) was a lot more amusing than the two GITs movies.

Which is because "Ghost in the Shell" was not meant to be pointless or shallow. :D
But I agree that "Innocence" had a point far too big to swallow and dug too deep into philosophical vocabulary. Incomprehensible in Japanese (for me). With subs still pretty tough.
But the first movie was a reasonable mixture I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8th, 2007, 6:30 am 
Major Contributor

I felt the Appleseed movies were both good (though the dub on the first one can at times be brutal), but the first Ghost in the Shell was better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8th, 2007, 9:33 am 

Hmmm, okay here's a stupid question for everybody. Why are we comparing two movies, one which was all but forgotten and the other that's a steaming pile waste me time to one of the most legandary and well known movies in all anime?

Any way to be frank I really loved Ghost in the Shell when I first saw it a few years ago, kinda like like Inoccance but felt rather let down by it. The best of the Ghost in Shell franchise has got to be Stand Alone Complex 1 and 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8th, 2007, 11:03 am 
Resident Scholar

The Adict wrote:
Why are we comparing two movies, one which was all but forgotten and the other that's a steaming pile waste me time to one of the most legandary and well known movies in all anime?

Good question. Because they're both from the same author?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 8th, 2007, 11:07 pm 
Major Contributor

The Adict wrote:
Hmmm, okay here's a stupid question for everybody. Why are we comparing two movies, one which was all but forgotten and the other that's a steaming pile waste me time to one of the most legandary and well known movies in all anime?

I dunno either. I'm gonna go same author too.

The Adict wrote:
Any way to be frank I really loved Ghost in the Shell when I first saw it a few years ago, kinda like like Inoccance but felt rather let down by it. The best of the Ghost in Shell franchise has got to be Stand Alone Complex 1 and 2.

I dunno about Innocence. Good... but I dunno. Really like Ghost in the Shell was a great movie, and the SAC is the franchise best for me, too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2007, 12:20 pm 

I thought it started by people comparingthe two because of the CG in the two. Now I am confused.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 11th, 2007, 5:38 pm 
Resident Scholar

The Adict wrote:
Now I am confused.

... which your double-post profoundly proves. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 12th, 2007, 3:02 am 
Major Contributor

The Adict wrote:
I thought it started by people comparingthe two because of the CG in the two. Now I am confused.

Suppose we did get a bit sidetracked. Originally, yeah train of thought was comparing the two films. Don't remember CG in the first Appleseed, though. It was straight up late 80s anime. Train of thought was comparing the two versions in general.

Think we got sidetracked a bit when Storm made the comment that he found Appleseed more amusing than the Ghost in the Shell movies. (Good thing he said the movies. I remember a comment Motoko made during the first episode of 2nd GiG; forget what it was off-hand, but it was such a 180 from how she acted in the previous series that at the time I couldn't not find it funny. SAC was a different thing from the movies, though.)

Not entirely off topic though, since both are based on the manga efforts of Shirow Masamune. It's just the original thought was more specific than that is all. I wont complain if you wont.
:wink: