Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 15th, 2017, 8:46 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2007, 4:38 am 
Regular

Put me down for somebody who thinks NGE is "OK" then. :lol: I could appreciate its philosophical side, and I could appreciate its "OMG Giant Robots fighting Alienzz!!!" side, but I still feel that NGE did neither particularly well. It wasn't a BAD series, but I wouldn't consider it a "Legendary" either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2007, 11:59 am 
Resident Scholar

Dark One wrote:
I think that true legendary series are the ones that you can watch again and again

I watched all of the 200 episodes of "SailorMoon" about for times, I watched "Evangelion" and and "Tenchi Muyô - Ryô Ôki" three times and "Fushigi Yûgi" twice (and all of that won't be the end of it!). That makes those legendary for me, but everybody will have a slightly different taste, so I guess this can never be generally decided.

As for "Evangelion" I was quite sceptical in the beginning because it was offered to me by a comrade who usually watched action series without much depth. "Oooh, kids in giant robots fighting aliens... hooray..." was indeed my first impression, aber after three episodes I was more or less hooked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 25th, 2007, 10:35 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Storm_Shinobi,

Sorry of the delay, but I wanted to finish Grenadier before commenting.

First, Noir isn't really considered legendary in any aspect, it's just a somewhat popular and somewhat well received series.

Second, I slightly agree with you on Cowboy Bebop, but only slightly. If it hadn't been mostly episodic I would disagree, but since it was I didn't like it quite as much as most other people seem to.

Lastly, I am not sure what exactly you disliked about Trigun, but I must say that I am a fan of the show. I think my only other question at this point is, what the heck did you like about Grenadier? Having just completed it, I was not very impressed by mostly anything in it, story or depth wise. I mean, some of the shooting was cool, like the six shots at once and the one bullet after the other all hitting the same point, gaining more power from each other, but the actual show was just so much fluff!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2007, 12:09 am 

It was fun fluff. Easy going, low key, fun to watch... fluff. Cheesy gimmicks, 'boss fights' one after another. It was just fun to watch.

Trigun's action scenes in my opinion was rather done badly, and it lacked any.... impact. Kinda like the Noir syndrome I suppose. It had fun characters, but well, I didn't quite like the whole story. I don't really dislike it, it was good for what it was... but it was easily forgettable. Some people do rank Trigun pretty highly and well, its really undeserved in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 26th, 2007, 7:55 am 

Just using Trigun as an example, it is a good show, but in my opinion it doesnt have a lasting effect. its not a show that I would want to watch again and again. I would recomend it, something I wouldn't do with Noir unless I knew the person didn't mind the slow pacing.

as for Noir, the thing that makes it stand out is the music, besides that it doesnt have anything that will make it a good view for everyone, in fact the slow pacing will put a lot of people off it.

#1 Chloe fanatic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 27th, 2007, 1:36 pm 

I think what make a show of any sort legenary is, one it makes you feel something, two has execelent writing, three it changes your life, or lastly when you're done watching it you still can remember everything that happened in it.

Some shows I consider legendary Samura X Trust and Betral, Sailor Moon, EVA, Crest of the Stars, most gundam series, Elfin Leid and Basilisk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2007, 6:58 am 
Major Contributor

I dunno, I personally enjoyed Trigun immensely and was one of the shows that really got me more interested in anime. I agree though that in terms of "legendary" I would hardly agree that it would deserve such a status.

Basilisk legendary? I dunno, I have trouble even imagining that (i.e. the show kinda fell in the later episodes). And to a lesser extent the same for Elfin Lied or Crest of the Stars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2007, 12:52 pm 

Hmm now I really like Basilisk, I though it got better with each episode but eh.

Spaz what were you trying to say about Crest of the Stars and Elfin Lied? That they got worse with each epsiode?

ANy way each to their own I guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2007, 1:16 pm 

Elfen Lied, I wouldn't label as legendary. It was bloody as hell and plain depressing at parts and it also features the completely useless main character which really irks me. Useless main characters piss me off. Shana suffered from the same syndrome. And there wasn't much of an ending to boot....

It was a good watch I suppose for what it was, and memorable because of its violence. But otherwise, really......

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28th, 2007, 4:03 pm 
Major Contributor

The Adict wrote:
Spaz what were you trying to say about Crest of the Stars and Elfin Lied? That they got worse with each epsiode?

No I'm saying that they both have too many flaws to be considered "legendary".

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2007, 1:39 am 
Resident Admin

I'm with you on Basilisk Adict man! I really enjoyed it, especially liked the dub. My only real problem was a certain lack of action during the latter half of the series and maybe the ending :cry: I have more-so the same opinion concerning Elfen Lied, which is one of my favorite series, but they both run into the same "legendary" problem. When I think of legendary, I usually think of titles that are a bit um, older, as it takes a while for something to become a legend.

At this point it would seem that this is getting to be a little awkward since we all seem to had different opinions and thoughts on what exactly makes a title legendary. I am also not sure if just because something is considered legendary it has to be considered a masterpiece as well.

Maybe we should define some set of guidelines that would signify a title as "legendary?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2007, 2:04 am 

I think its fine as it is really, since we all have our own opinions on the matter. Like if we define a guideline like.... must have deep characters, some people might agree that a certain series has deep characters while others might find the characters shallow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2007, 2:16 am 
Resident Admin

I was looking more at defining a set amount of time the title has been out, like 5 years, or that we are defining legendary to include only titles that you would consider to be of masterpiece level, or that you consider legendary not only based on the show itself, but the impact that it has on anime or society, things like that.

I say this because Adict got me thinking, even though I wouldn't call Sailor Moon a masterpiece, it did have quite an effect on American society in the way of introducing and getting many more people into anime, which is why I may consider in legendary even though I don't feel the show is at masterpiece level.

Just a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2007, 12:13 pm 

Agreed about Sailor Moon. I already said what I believe makes a show legendary to me any way. Only additional thing would be anime that everybody knows about and watched. Like pokemon and digimon neither masterpieces but you'd be hard pressed to find an anime fan let alone an otaku that hasn't seen at least one episode.

But you start calling series Legendary based on that or how goodthey were at the time they came out you end up with legendaries like Akira and Metropolis. Both of which were masterpieces in their time but just aren't that good anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 29th, 2007, 5:55 pm 
Major Contributor

Acmurphy wrote:
At this point it would seem that this is getting to be a little awkward since we all seem to had different opinions and thoughts on what exactly makes a title legendary. I am also not sure if just because something is considered legendary it has to be considered a masterpiece as well.

Maybe we should define some set of guidelines that would signify a title as "legendary?

Well any kind of criticism concerning anime or any other of media will eventually come down to personal preference and opinion. But I think it is still possible to look at anime with some amount of objectivism.

For instance, for an anime to reach "legendary" status it would seem that it would need not only to be a worthy anime in its own right but also be influential.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next