Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 20th, 2017, 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fullmetal Alchemist Review: Woah, FMA got a perfect score?
PostPosted: July 12th, 2007, 10:49 am 
Newcomer

I wouldn't go THAT far. The series was pretty good, but it's not in the top 20, 30, or even 40. Oh well, to each his own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2007, 10:55 am 

Thread confused me for a moment, I suppose its referring to the latest review. Well its all each to his own for the reviews.... its not going by some weird universal analytical rating system. Each to his own. The reviewer thinks it deserves 5/5 so... well whatever.

Personally I didn't think it was THAT good. For the hype that was present anyway.... enjoyable but well... in my opinion anyway.... rather forgettable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2007, 11:40 am 
Newcomer

Exactly what I was thinking Storm. Other Anime series that have gotten perfect scores are very memorable. Heck, I could still name every character off Love Hina, and I finished that Anime 4-5 years ago. I finished FMA 2 years ago and I can't even remember the names of all the main characters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2007, 1:55 pm 

Personally, I don't think it's the greatest out there, but it's pretty entertaining, and I support Spaz's decision on what he thinks the series deserves and in this case, 5 out of 5 stars. Remember that one person's review isn't what everyone thinks, but there are many out there that share the same ideas/thoughts of FMA. I mean, he backs up why FMA deserves its score.

It's a good series, and it did accomplish some of the hype that preceded it, but if Spaz thinks it's 5/5 stars, then it's good for me too =)

Feel free to discuss reasons why/why not FMA deserves 5/5 stars =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2007, 3:02 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
Mobius3x wrote:
The series was pretty good, but it's not in the top 20, 30, or even 40.

Just to add a quick note here, FMA is the 5th highest rated series on ANN, as well as the most seen title. It is hugely popular and very highly rated. So while it may not be in your top 20, 30 or even 40, it certainly is in the overall opinion of people out there. (Don't know if you were implying your top or general top there, but if you were going with general you were rather off.)

That being said, a review is the opinion of the reviewer, and is going to differ dependent upon peoples different tastes.

On another note, you would give Love Hina 5 stars? :shock: Well as you said, to each his own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2007, 4:37 pm 
Major Contributor

Ah I see you've fixed some of my grammar errors in the review. Though I think I still see a few errors. I'll see about submitting revised version. :lol:

Though, I did catch a little mistake with the review: FMA only has 51 episodes, not 52 . . . :lol:

As for the rating, yeah 5/5 may seem a little high but really I haven't really seen many anime of as consistently high quality as FMA in recent years. The fact that the worst thing I could say about it is that the ending is somewhat disappointing (which of course is subject to opinion) shows the strength of this series. I initially gave it a 4.5/5 but decided that 5/5 was a more fitting score. But note, 5/5 is not a "perfect" score as there is no such thing as a perfect score in film or anime reviews. 5/5 in my view simply means it's superb or excellent, not perfect.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2007, 4:51 pm 
Resident Admin

spazmaster666 wrote:
Ah I see you've fixed some of my grammar errors in the review. Though I think I still see a few errors. I'll see about submitting revised version. :lol:

Though, I did catch a little mistake with the review: FMA only has 51 episodes, not 52 . . . :lol:

Whoops, you know I caught that too and changed it, but I uploaded the wrong file and thus got the one with the 52 episodes line, which I had actually reverted back to what you had written in the first place since you stated the number on episodes later on in the review. Fixed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2007, 6:24 pm 
Major Contributor

Mistakes happen. As far as spaz's rating goes, from what I've watched of the series I'd agree that 5/5 is a fair rating.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2007, 6:55 pm 
Post Master

I would like to point out how it says written by Tong T in the review, but on the front page it says Tony T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 12th, 2007, 7:11 pm 
Resident Admin

lol, must have had AD35 on my mind while writing that :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 13th, 2007, 12:00 am 
Newcomer

Well AM, I'm starting to enjoy the reviews. :o Though I don't completely agree with the rating, Spaz is still the one that wrote the review, and it was a very thorough review at that. That's what I loved about it, he backed up his claim. Animetric is coming back to its feet quicker than I expected.

I guess when I said that it wasn't in the top 20, 30, or 40 I was taking my own personal opinion into place. Though I thoroughly enjoyed FMA I really don't think that it's one of the greatest Anime that you can watch. I must add that I am sort of biased after my a-hole of a friend cosplayed Col. Mustang and completely killed the image of my favorite character (after Greed).

Keep those high-quality reviews coming.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 13th, 2007, 11:10 am 

I have to put my two scents in about this.

While I think FMA is a great series, I would have given it 4.5 stars. It's good just not perfect. There is something lacking threw out the entire series and I just can't put my finger on it, plus the ending was more then lacking. Also 5 out of 5 is a perfect grade sao a film better be perfect if you're going to give it 5 stars.

As for whether FMA being in the 20, 30 or 40 right now popularily is in the top 20. I don't think it deserves to be placed that high up, maybe in the 40s or 50s but we have a new generation of anime fans sprouting up over the last two, three years and this always happens. They'll live watch more better anime and realize that though it compares well it's not the best of the best like they think right now. Remember 7-8 years ago how many people were going on and on about Digimon, Pokemon and the like?

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 13th, 2007, 11:19 am 
Resident Scholar

I never got to like "Full Metal Alchemist". It's another series that has been going on for far too long.
Most long series get boring after a while and you need to be really hooked to avoid that effect.
And I don't get hooked so completely. Almost never.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 13th, 2007, 5:42 pm 
Newcomer

The Adict I think you understand precisely where I'm coming from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 14th, 2007, 4:08 am 
Major Contributor

The Adict wrote:
While I think FMA is a great series, I would have given it 4.5 stars. It's good just not perfect. There is something lacking threw out the entire series and I just can't put my finger on it, plus the ending was more then lacking. Also 5 out of 5 is a perfect grade sao a film better be perfect if you're going to give it 5 stars.

Again there is no such thing as "perfect" grade for films or other forms of media. No film is perfect, no anime is perfect. I've clearly stated in my review that FMA has its share of shortcomings. However, compared to other anime, especially other anime of its time, FMA is nevertheless an amazing series.

The Adict wrote:
As for whether FMA being in the 20, 30 or 40 right now popularily is in the top 20. I don't think it deserves to be placed that high up, maybe in the 40s or 50s but we have a new generation of anime fans sprouting up over the last two, three years and this always happens. They'll live watch more better anime and realize that though it compares well it's not the best of the best like they think right now. Remember 7-8 years ago how many people were going on and on about Digimon, Pokemon and the like?

I really don't understand why you're so upset about FMA getting 5/5. Rarely do we see a series that pretty much does everything right and almost nothing wrong. Sure the ending is disappointing, as I pointed out in the review, however I don't believe that's sufficient reason for me to deduct 0.5 of a grade.

However, I do agree that popularity is not necessarily reflective of an anime's quality. But even without considering it's popularity, I believe that FMA is an outstanding anime on its own merit.