Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 20th, 2017, 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

What is your anime poison/turnoff?
Shounen-ai/yaoi 48%  48%  [ 10 ]
Shoujo-ai/yuri 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Shoutacon/lolicon 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Kodomo/kiddies 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Sports 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Bad subbing 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Bad dubbing 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Ecchi/fanservices 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Bad animation quality 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
Others(specify here) 14%  14%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 21
 Post subject: What is your anime poison?
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2007, 5:12 am 

Location: A country which most people doesn't want to know about...
Poison/turnoff is something which makes you dislike and avoid certain stuffs,including anime.Please vote yours.

My personal vote went to shounen-ai/yaoi.Nothing is gross when seeing two men kissing each other,which one of them act like woman with penis(I'm serious).Being a man myself,that was a disgrace.I rather stare pictures of naked old women than staring one picture of two men kissing each other.

Do not take my opinion seriously.It was based on my personal opinion alone and opinions are not facts.I'm free to see other forumers' opinions here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2007, 6:01 am 
Regular

For me it's bad animation quality. Nothing turns me off a series faster than poorly animated scenes. Although, if the story and characters are good, I might persist with it.

Yaoi and shounen characters don't do anything for me, but unless the series revolves around said characters, they're not likely to greatly impact on my enjoyment of the series.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2007, 8:56 am 
Resident Scholar

If the voices are no good I find it rather hard to access the show. It can still be saved by other factors, but since a voice makes much of the decision whether I find a character sympathetic, the saving roll will be a tough one.
I can stand bad animation, like "Ebichuu", because I like all of the other factors about it.
The rest can be argued about in the same way, but then again, "Fan Service" is another, my second, turn-off. As I have said elsewhere, I do not mind fan sevice, but it must not give me the impression that it is the supposed major fun factor (like in "Agent Aika"), because then it turns to "un-fun" and I feel virtually sexually harassed as a viewer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2007, 7:58 pm 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
I can stand anything on that list as long as other areas are up to snuff, but I am no fan of yaoi at all. I mean, I don't care about the occasional gay joke or something, but a full blown yaoi title I will not touch with a ten foot pole.

Bad animation is definitly a minus, but it can be countered by a good story and other high technical aspects, such as music and voices.

I'm fine with fanservice as long as it doesn't take over the show and become the focus.

Bad subbing I have never really had a problem with, except in a few bootlegs I got about 8 years ago that were horrid in quality.

As a dub fan, and apparently one that has a rather high tolerance, bad dubbing isn't really a problem, since almost always you can just switch to Japanese with subs if all else fails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2007, 9:01 pm 

Ha even though I dont know much japanese...I do hate it when you do know what they`re saying and see something else in the subs....it than makes you wonder if everything else was correct...
So bad subs for me...especially since I always watch my anime subbed...

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2007, 10:52 pm 
Regular

i went with fanservice. there really is no need to have the camera on the ground all the time... f.cking perverts! those 10 second pauses in the wind where the girl stares off into space while her mini is waving with the glimpse of white underwear every 120th frame... give me a break! it is just f.cking underwear!

i would have went with the yaoi stuff, but those are easily avoidable... this fanservice just jumps up at you every now and then, and in good anime that i really like too... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2007, 11:08 pm 
Post Master

Bad dubbing for sure. I can not stand to watch a show where the girls have a really high pitch frequency voice that is supposed to make them sound innocent. Lots of English dubs sound like crap, and if I am not able to turn on the subs then I just throw it out/delete it. Lots of kids shows have terrible dubbing so I guess that ties in with it.

I have never seen yaoi in an anime/hentai, and I don't plan on ever seeing it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 2nd, 2007, 11:12 pm 
Resident Admin

dbd_addict,

Well, that is true, yaoi stuff is easily avoidable, but fanservice is in just about everything. Well, that is only a problem if you dislike that fact :twisted: , such as in your case :cry:

Last edited by Acmurphy on July 3rd, 2007, 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2007, 12:26 am 

As long as the show isn't made for goddamn fanservice, I'm fine.

I'd go for.... horrible choreography. There can be an action packed series thats just a bloody bore to watch because they have no idea how to make a fight look good.

Or just plain old, bad story/execution and/or bad ending. I just don't like bad endings. More often than not, instead of making you all teary eyed and touched, it just goes.... WHAT WAS THAT?! I'M NOT TAKING THIS SHIT! And you strut off to check the manga.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2007, 5:10 am 
Major Contributor

I voted bad dub, which hasn't happened often in my collection imo, but often enough for me to pick it over yaoi. I'd only vote yaoi because I don't have any interest in it. Yuri, maybe, but not yaoi.

I've seen 2 versions of Akira though, to give an example of bad dub. I felt the Streamline's English dub was confusing. It just left me not understanding what was going on at times. Genion's version, however, didn't have this problem imo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 3rd, 2007, 10:08 pm 

I voted other, first is bad story telling, bad directing and editing are close seconds, gay guys coming a distant third.

I can handle pretty much everything, gay guys included if the anime has a good story. For me a series live and dies on the its story. If it doesn't have a descent story whether that be from the plot or character its off to the don't know don't care land for me. This is especially true with endings, how hard is it to write a descent ending to a show. But no most have this Huh did I miss something? or What the hell was that!? endings, like Heat Guy J, Mahoromatic or Samurai Deeper Kyo.

Second is directing I hate jargs in my anime, how to descripe. Like a character saying they're off to fight whatever for whatever reason and then a second later they're there fighting whatever with their group with a bunch of weapons. That really bugs me. I also hate censory on everything, leave the thing as the writter orginally meant it to be. If people have a problem with it they can watch something else.

Still surprised mildly by how many said fan fair. Mean yeah it is kind of annoying to have a series with a good premises, likeable characters and such, lose to the artist need to draw female chests and croches Ala Najica blitz tactics. Still me can usually handle much as they throw at me. :twisted: Yes I know me perv.

Post subject: Re: What is your anime poison?
PostPosted: July 6th, 2007, 3:54 pm 
Lurker

Amex_Yohko wrote:
My personal vote went to shounen-ai/yaoi.Nothing is gross when seeing two men kissing each other,which one of them act like woman with penis(I'm serious).Being a man myself,that was a disgrace.I rather stare pictures of naked old women than staring one picture of two men kissing each other.

I could not agree with this more. Yaoi got my vote, too.

Coincidentally enough, while I can't stand sports in real life, I don't have any problems with anime about sports. Price of Tennis is awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 6th, 2007, 11:25 pm 
Major Contributor

I'll have to agree that poor animation quality will often turn me off. I can even stand art designs that I don't particularly like but bad animation is something which I have a very low tolerance for. Obviously there are certain times where the animation quality is understandable (i.e. long running TV series) and there are also certain times when it is absolutely not understandable (i.e. short OVA series)

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 8th, 2007, 3:06 am 

Location: A country which most people doesn't want to know about...
I read all your posts and I look back at my poll and it seems that this thread and poll is little 'unfair'.Well,I thought this palce have some girls and it turned out that I was wrong.There are no female forumers here.All of them are men,including me.Unless they were gays,men usually vote shounen-ai/yaoi for this poll.

I agree with Acmurphy,while I can handle little gay jokes but full-blown yaoi titles like Gravitation and Gakuen Heaven are no-no.The good thing about them is they are always worth to avoid.Pretty easy too,I mean just anime alone.In my country,avoiding shounen-ai/yaoi is your triumph in your daily life.I have grown sick to see yaoi fangirls and shouta freaks everyday.In my favorite magazines,in my TV,at streets and almost everywhere you can think.The safest place that I can find is my bed.Sleep and try to forget what I saw in daylight.This is the real reason I made this poll.

There are nominees that I can't post up there.Let's see what are they.

Crossdressers is another thing that most of us worth to avoid.I hate to see boys forced to be girls in Princess Princess and a girl forced to be a boy like in Ouran.Why not let them be natural instead.

Bad Ending Also another turnoff that most people can't stand.I just forgot to put up here.Thanks for reminding me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 8th, 2007, 3:37 am 
Resident Admin

Amex_Yohko,

We do lack a certain female flavor on this forum, maybe one of these days we will get some women to join us. It is a little odd that we don't seem to have any... sorry to any members that are women and I/we just don't know it :oops:

I actually don't really mind cross-dressing stuff, as it is usually used as a comedic device to get people in some pretty interesting situations.

While I can avoid yaoi titles, bad endings are something which you just don't know about till, well, the end. After you have invested all that time into watching something and they can't even end it right. Most of the time you just wish the ending was actually an ending in any sense of the word! That is definitly something which is way too prevalent in the anime scene.