Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 17th, 2017, 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Weekly Discussion
PostPosted: April 28th, 2011, 7:34 am 
Resident Scholar

I'm still wondering about the meaning of the names that were used. Although the author made it valid by applying other than the "usual" Kanji it is still conspicuous that there is a deliberate similarity (i.e. homophony) between first names and last names.

Kyôko's last name is Sakura
Sayaka's last name is Miki
Mami's last name is Tomoe
Hitomi's last name is Shizuki
Madoka's last name is Kaname
Homura's last name is Akemi

All these last names are written in a way that they cannot be confused with first names, but they still sound like first names.
Homura has a special place in there because her first name is not even by sound a first name. At least I have never heard of these syllables being used as a first name.
Kaname as a first name should be just as rare, but it appeared as the first name of the female protagonist of the Full Metal Panic franchise, Chidori Kaname.
I have not understood the purpose of these name choices.

On a sidenote, I was positively surprised by Gotô Yûko's voice job as Madoka's mother. After her performance in Suzumiya Haruhi I could hardly imagine she had a "normal" voice in her repertoire.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
I was kinda hoping they'd go rainbows and sunshine all the way

Considering the overall tone of the series I guessed there would be some tragedy left, but I did not expect Madoka's character to evolve on such an epic scale. SailorMoon went far, but luckily not that far. Serial Experiments Lain has a somewhat similar conclusion, but, you know, software is software and surely a smaller scale than a multidimensional universe!

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
it is interesting how Madoka played against the wish system by having the wish slap her in a seat of power.

That is correct because in the midst of Homura's efforts the audience kinda forgot that Madoka herself was a decisive factor and not just a pawn between Kyûbei and Homura.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Homura's battle against Walpurgis Nacht was pretty epic, with the missile launchers everywhere and hidden cruise missiles in the sea and fuel truck surfing.

I don't think that crashing a 10,000 gallon fuel truck makes much of a difference if you have cruise missiles. :P2:

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
There was to be more scenes of the shelter, which would have been in somewhat bad taste due to the recent earthquake.

I thought the scenes were in there because of the earthquake. Like, embedding the plot in a piece of reality. But that shelter appeared rather suddenly and at first I didn't quite understand what was going on, but it looks like there's a taiphoon.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Along with that I hear Homura was also supposed to use a nuclear bomb which would have sent a lot of the city to hell

That would indeed be a little exaggerated.

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
But ultimately the animation studio were probably trying to land episode 12 on Good Friday.

Knowing how ignorant the usual Japanese citizen is concerning foreign culture and the focus of Japanese media on the domestic market I doubt that this is true, and if then it was an educated injoke that maybe a handful of people among the audience understood.
Then again, was the series broadcast according to plan from start to finish?
I thought there had been delays due to the natural disasters or other causes, thus making the "Good Friday" a coincidental occasion for the last episode?

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
now theres a facebook page for the Church of Madoka.

Ha, those fans... :D

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
... a new girl Oriko.
... Kazumi Magica

Any chances that a spin-off or sequel/prequel includes any of the girls shown in episode 12?

PostPosted: April 28th, 2011, 9:37 am 

42317 wrote:
Knowing how ignorant the usual Japanese citizen is concerning foreign culture and the focus of Japanese media on the domestic market I doubt that this is true, and if then it was an educated injoke that maybe a handful of people among the audience understood.

Studio SHAFT has always being unconventional. Also most if not all of the anime delayed by the Earthquake had already resumed their broadcast, so there was no real reason for the Madoka broadcast not to resume. While the writer said the delay was a blessing for the show as the team wasn't satisfied with episode 11's quality, it still got delayed for a good month long. And before the final two episodes aired, the studio had started two of their new season shows, Maria+Holic Alive and Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko. At first people were thinking they were trying to match the final episodes on actual Walpurgis Nacht, 30th of April which would have been another clever date to put it on. Somehow I'm not so sure the Good Friday date was a coincidence. I reckon they were already finished for a good while long.

42317 wrote:
Storm_Shinobi wrote:
... a new girl Oriko.
... Kazumi Magica

Any chances that a spin-off or sequel/prequel includes any of the girls shown in episode 12?

I doubt it, since most of them are meant to be real life figures. Perhaps the girl versions of the various witches in Madoka like Charlotte or Getrud might be the characters in Kazumi Magica for all I know. Kazumi Magica is currently 4 chapters in if I'm not mistaken, no idea about translations since I haven't read it. Oriko has yet to be released.

PostPosted: April 21st, 2012, 6:02 pm 

I made QB in the Phantasy Star Online 2 beta.

http://sadpanda.us/images/925832-YLUED0Y.jpg

Once I discovered I could put cat ears on twin tails and achieve that sorta look... I had to do it.

On more related news, they are going to be three Madoka movies coming up. Two movies covering the TV series story while the third movie is original content. Not too interested in a theatrical reboot of the series but I am interested to see what this third movie will contain.

And turns out Oriko was just a sidestory featuring some antagonistic magical girls, covering events of one of many of Homura's timeloops.