Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 18th, 2017, 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Space Brothers
PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 4:05 am 

A new Sunday anime, two episodes in. Sorta aimed at adults, telling a more mature story. It is set somewhat into the future, roughly around 2 decades I think.

Basically there are two brothers, Mutta and Hibito. Mutta was born under an 'unlucky' star essentially, on the day which Japan failed to qualify for the world cup. Hibito on the other hand, was born on the day of some Japanese baseball victory, hence under a lucky star.

The story focuses on Mutta, the older of the two. He has somewhat a complex about staying ahead of his younger brother, believing that the older brother should always be ahead, showing the way. The two brothers shared a dream about being astronauts in the future.

Flash forward. Hibito is an astronaut with NASA and about to embark on a mission to the moon. Mutta was a successful automobile engineer in his 30s, but lost his job after headbutting a superior who made fun of Hibito. After that he's blacklisted and unable to find a new job as an engineer and ends up moving back with his parents. With his brother reaching for the stars and jobless, Mutta is essentially down in the pits as far as his life is concerned. However new hope appears as his family submitted his resume to JAXA, who are looking for new astronaut candidates, and he is qualified for the job.

And thus begins Mutta's story of remembering and chasing a dream once forgotten. He's one out of over a thousand qualified candidates, and a series of tests will narrow down that number down to a mere three.

===

Overall having a mature story about an adult rather than children or manchildren is a nice change of pace. The story also kinda strikes a tone with me. I'm not quite down in the dumps, but as I get older - things like hope and reams stop being as pretty as they were a decade ago. So for a rather tired and jaded me, this show is actually quite motivational, sending messages like its never too late to start and the like.

It is currently shaping out to be my favourite show this season.

Post subject: Re: Space Brothers
PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 5:48 am 
Post Master

Good to know another mature show exists in a world where every anime seems to have a main cast of teenage characters in over-the-top (but not enough to be funny) sci-fi/fantasy worlds and are peppered with fucking awful comic relief, or shows that could be described as "cute girls do cute things" that are targeted towards people who have never interacted with a girl.

I'm looking forward to watching it if it gets a release over here. If not, it's probably not much longer than a year before I run out of anime to watch that are available to buy. Seems like a lot of anime are out of print these days.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 2:16 pm 
Resident Scholar

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
And thus begins Mutta's story of remembering and chasing a dream once forgotten. He's one out of over a thousand qualified candidates, and a series of tests will narrow down that number down to a mere three.

Doesn't convince me. Smacks of PLANETES.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 2:35 pm 

Mmsven wrote:
Good to know another mature show exists in a world where every anime seems to have a main cast of teenage characters in over-the-top (but not enough to be funny) sci-fi/fantasy worlds and are peppered with fucking awful comic relief, or shows that could be described as "cute girls do cute things" that are targeted towards people who have never interacted with a girl.

I'm looking forward to watching it if it gets a release over here. If not, it's probably not much longer than a year before I run out of anime to watch that are available to buy. Seems like a lot of anime are out of print these days.

If you don't mind watching things weekly, its on Crunchyroll. So technically its being released weekly, though I'm not sure if Crunchyroll is in your area or not. Webstream-simulcasting is pretty much the formula they are going for to bring anime over these days and streams can go at pretty high quality these days. With faster connections available world wide and people wanting to get the newest stuff the quickest, these services seem to be the current winning formula for bringing anime from Japan to other places. I think with a subscription, you have access to entire seasons of 'older' stuff, which might not have had disc releases yet. It might be possible to watch the whole thing online after its done airing legally, though I'm not sure if episodes are only available for a week at a time or what.

Funimation also does this sorta thing and offers scheduled free streaming of some anime, where some episodes are available for a short period of time.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 6:02 pm 
Post Master

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
If you don't mind watching things weekly, its on Crunchyroll. So technically its being released weekly, though I'm not sure if Crunchyroll is in your area or not. Webstream-simulcasting is pretty much the formula they are going for to bring anime over these days and streams can go at pretty high quality these days. With faster connections available world wide and people wanting to get the newest stuff the quickest, these services seem to be the current winning formula for bringing anime from Japan to other places. I think with a subscription, you have access to entire seasons of 'older' stuff, which might not have had disc releases yet. It might be possible to watch the whole thing online after its done airing legally, though I'm not sure if episodes are only available for a week at a time or what.

My idea of a release is something physical. Besides, I've already said I dislike watching something weekly, and I like watching anime 1-2 at a time. Streaming may be the direction of the market, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. I won't bother with it until I don't have a choice.

PostPosted: April 10th, 2012, 2:23 am 

I agree with 92317, it does sound a lot like PLANETES. Still, It does sound very interesting, so I'll definitely be following this one.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2012, 11:48 am 

Watched the first two episodes, loving the series. Yes it does feel like Planetes, but it is really engaging, can't wait for the next episode.

PostPosted: April 20th, 2012, 2:55 pm 
Resident Scholar

wolfwood wrote:
I agree with 92317

Thank you, but we don't have that many defense districts. :lol:

PostPosted: June 18th, 2012, 12:31 am 

Every episode makes me like this series more. It's way funnier than Planetes, and just as interesting.