Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 17th, 2017, 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2063 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138  Next
 Post subject: Re: What Are You Watching Now?
PostPosted: February 26th, 2012, 11:04 am 

I found Baka Test hilarious. Though season 2 was lost on me. Retelling the same jokes only go so far.

Just finished Dennou Coil. Basically its the future where everybody wears these sorta virtual reality glasses which allows them to interact with the world digitally. Kinda like if internet was everywhere! And you can have cyberpets that follow you around the real world and stuff, except you can't really touch them. Girl moves to a new town where the cyberspace is abnormal, gets caught up with hackers and stuff and suddenly mysteries and conspiracies! Hard to explain really. But it was a show I really couldn't stop watching. It does the whole hacking or formatting data is represented by battles with beams and stuff, but they actually have a sorta decent explanation for it.
Spoiler
(the system was essentially based on the human consciousness, so its not such a stretch that it functions in such a 'physical' way so to speak)
. Though frankly, why shit works the way they do isn't the point of the show. It just tells captivating good story.

PostPosted: March 20th, 2012, 3:05 pm 
Post Master

Watched Vexille which was shit. It told the most implausible sci-fi story of any sci-fi story in existence, it was just fucking nonsense. The main character seems to be an introvert with a mental disability, or the development studio just wanted to funnel all the cash into the distracting CG visuals instead of putting some effort into the writing. The main character does a whole lot of staring and has almost no interesting dialogue in the 2 hour run-time.

PostPosted: March 21st, 2012, 1:31 am 

Hunter x Hunter remake episode 23 - they showed one shot with silhouettes of all of the Zoldyack family, including one character that after 15 years of manga hasn't even made one appearance yet. Loved that.
On the other hand the manga has been put on hiatus one more time. Kinda sad, because it was the chapter I eagerly waited for every week.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2012, 4:12 am 
Post Master

Dropped Revolutionary Girl Utena at 6 episodes because I'd had enough of it wasting my time with inconsequential episodic trash. The premise is weird but that doesn't equal interesting considering its pretty average by anime standards, and I don't have patience to wait for it to go anywhere. The episodic stuff serves to do nothing but make you more familiar with the characters which isn't something that kept me interested because most of the characters have unrealistic, extreme personalities, and of course since it's the typical high school setting, they care more about petty bullshit than anything. I get enough petty high school bullshit in every other anime I've ever watched, this is nothing special.

PostPosted: March 25th, 2012, 7:52 am 
Resident Scholar

Mmsven wrote:
Dropped Revolutionary Girl Utena at 6 episodes because (...) I get enough petty high school bullshit in every other anime I've ever watched, this is nothing special.

Hm, well, debatable. :wink:
I liked the style a lot while the series conveys its deeper contents rather subtly and gets very psychological the further you approach the end. I do, however, find the movie somewhat better because it compresses the series somewhat while adding interesting new elements to the characters and their relationships.

PostPosted: March 29th, 2012, 2:12 am 
Post Master

Just finished watching Full Metal Panic Fumoffu which was good. It takes the only good parts of the original series (the humor) and makes it even better and crazier. I give it a 7/10 for the frequent laughs. I don't think I'll bother trying TSR because my understanding is that it is almost humorless, which is deterring in the context of a Full Metal Panic product.

PostPosted: April 2nd, 2012, 3:41 am 
Post Master

Dropped Irresponsible Captain Tylor at 11 episodes. The cast of characters is pretty good and has some decent charm, even though they sometimes act out of character. The plot however has a ton of holes and inconsistency, and the amount of miracles and convenient plot points went too far. It seems like it's trying to make you laugh at every corner but it's rarely funny.

PostPosted: April 9th, 2012, 5:29 am 
Post Master

Completed Speed Grapher which was average. The beginning showed a lot of promise, since the rawness of the setting appealed to me, and it didn't go off in too many shitty directions to spoil that. My biggest problem with it was the awful animation which made all the action scenes laughably bad and made the scenes of characters portraying emotion as stiff and awkward as middle school confessions. Along with moments of terrible writing/direction, it ruined what could've been a good series.

PostPosted: April 11th, 2012, 8:58 pm 
Major Contributor

Last thing i saw fully was Key the Metal Idol in it's Japanese audio with subs. I was able to understand the plot better since it had been years since the first time i saw it in English. The character designs were good, the OP and ED themes are catchy little jingles, can't say the same for the idol songs in between which are forgettable at best.

PostPosted: April 12th, 2012, 11:45 pm 
Post Master

I've had a lot of free time recently so I powered through The Twelve Kingdoms. This anime has an interesting story spoiled by the mediocrity of everything else. For the first half or so I was driven to the next episode by the in-depth story and the strength of most of the characters. Yoko and Rakushun and some other characters are great and I couldn't get enough, but some of the characters are the exact opposite of great. Suzu is the best example of one of the most annoying, shittiest characters I've ever had to watch hours of.

The pace is completely fucked. Every 10 seconds it seems like characters are reflecting on the past out loud, explaining their moral story, explaining the terminology, or explaining any other thing that might be slightly complicated because the show seems to assume that it's audience is a bunch of fucking monkeys. I can't blame them for constantly explaining the unique terminology though, since they made it so fucking obtuse. The best example I can give is there are 3 different words to describe the same thing- Saiho, Taiho, and Kirin, and it gets even more confusing because Taiho is similar to Taiki.

The second arc stands out as boring compared to the other arcs, because it is about almost nothing but how a Kirin is raised. Then, it ends up having no conclusion by the end of the show. The show overall ends terribly. The last arc is just a story being told and by that time we already know what the conclusion will be, so there's no tension to it at all. It's short and trivial, but it doesn't even end the show after the last arc. The last episode is a fucking recap of that arc, which I just skipped through to see if there was anything else to it, but no such thing existed.

Of course, The Twelve Kingdoms is a very highly regarded series. That's because anime watchers have no fucking standards.

PostPosted: April 14th, 2012, 10:19 am 

Finished watching Last Exile: Fam the silver wing. Very disappointed at how things ended. I never liked the main character, the reason for that is she was simply way too annoying and simpleminded. I think the storyline was decent but not well executed, the final episode felt rushed. The main problem of the series was having so many kids as main characters, Fam and Giselle were already more than enough. There are so many things wrong with the series, just to mention a few:

Luscinia had the potential to be the best character of the series but he remained basically unused.
How was Millia able to function as commander of the Silvius and lead the ship in the last battle, was she raised to be a battle tactician? seriously...
Not enough Sylvanna.
Too many kids...

PostPosted: April 20th, 2012, 2:58 pm 
Resident Scholar

I'll be watching Spiral on sunday... at least I'll try.
I'd like to remind you that Spiral was a title that I won in Acmurphy's first contest - which was quite a while ago. :sweat: I hope I can write something about it.

PostPosted: April 23rd, 2012, 4:03 pm 
Post Master

Dropped The Wallflower at 6 episodes. It's another anime comedy that fails to get anything other than the occasional smile out of me. It has an interesting setup but the execution is bad, especially on the dub version. I don't laugh at random screaming over dumb shit, try harder.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2012, 4:31 am 
Post Master

Ended up watching Full Metal Panic TSR, and I'm glad I did. I have a useful MAL user review to thank for that for telling me what I needed to know from someone who also thought the original was mediocre. The action was brought up to my standards for awesomeness with proper pacing and less nonsensical crap ruining it, the animation is top notch, and it has some good sections of drama.

Also watched Gurren Lagann which I know I shit all over when I first gave it a shot a couple years ago. Back then I despised the idea of random wacky shit in an action show but now I'm just indifferent towards it, it's slightly amusing at it's best. Trudged through it because of the cool characters, I wanted to see where the story went next, and some of the emotional notes hit harder than I expected. I managed to finish it but because of the stretches of indifference, I ended up giving it a 6/10.

Gave Beck a shot, stopped at 3 episodes because of the horribly awkward animation and writing. It's a shame because I was interested in what was happening.

Chrome Shelled Regios is shit, dropped after 3 episodes. Generic anime with generic characters with a cobbled together fantasy universe that felt like a 12 year old thought of.

However I finished Blassreiter because of all the raving reviews here on animetic. Well, it's not good, but I thought it had a good start and had potential. That potential was shattered by all the fucking irksome events that are nonsense even in the context of the fantasy world. It also seemed to play out the exact same pattern of events many times and it never stopped being a 1 trick pony. There's more bad and good things to say about it, but fuck it. I've wasted enough time on it.

PostPosted: June 3rd, 2012, 11:40 am 

Blassreiter. It was horrible, but the action scenes were fun and I loved the bike mechs. Paladins was it? The plot/backstory were pretty much off the charts in terms of making much sense and pure silliness.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2063 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 134, 135, 136, 137, 138  Next