Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 14th, 2017, 4:59 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Final Fantasy I-XII
PostPosted: December 11th, 2010, 3:07 pm 
Newcomer

Recently I decided to play most of the Final Fantasy games in release order from I-XII in the course of approximately one year. Obviously the very first is basic, but still enjoyable even from today's perspective. Originally this post was designed to be a rant towards Final Fantasy X-2 and XII (which I will get to). I also wanted to include the game's greatest achievements, including even Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children. Although I don't specifically include the Kingdom Hearts games as a Final Fantasy game, I found the appearances of Final Fantasy characters inside the game very amusing.

Many of us grew up with Final Fantasy, as I personally started my first RPG with Chrono Trigger for Super Nintendo. This started a deep liking for the Final Fantasy and RPG genre as Final Fantasy VII can be argued as the best Final Fantasy ever created. Playing my way through the games, and reviving my childhood fondness of these games. It reminded me of the great times I had, and enjoyed once again replaying them. I admit, never having played Final Fantasy X..I was mesmerized of the level they brought it to. I personally loved having the Aeons (summons) as part of the battle party, instead of just being a lenghty, heavy-hitting attack.

I specifically liked how they left the battle system intact, with a few tweaks here and there. To my dismay, when I finally reached Final Fantasy X-2.. I realized they had altered the battle system even further to the point where the battles were almost hard to follow. This generally was where I stopped enjoying the newer Final Fantasy games. I don't understand why they had to change a great system that made their franchise renowned around the world. The combos in FFX-2 made the fights more of a free-for-all to the point where to fights were almost no longer turn-based. The switching between active / wait battle modes still confuses me to this day. No limit breaks or Aeons truly ruined the game for me. Not to mention the "Garment Grids" and class change in the middle of battles. Really defeats the foundation of what the original games stood for...Having characters of different classes simultaneously working together to achieve victory.

Finally reaching my rant for Final Fantasy XII.. Which I am still in the middle of. Painstakingly trying to battle my way through this game. Not because I enjoy it by any means, but because I can say i've beaten I-XII. I know I am not alone when by saying this game is a disappointment, is truly an understatement. First of all, this game barely reminds me that i'm playing a Final Fantasy game when i'm playing it. The gameplay itself reminds me more of X-Men Legends than any other game. Personally I don't understand why they had to change something good, when it comes to the original battle system. The story in FFXII is extremely shallow and cliche, even for Final Fantasy games. Not that the stories they tell aren't great ones. The main character "Vaan" is perhaps the worst Final Fantasy character ever created, in my opinion. He offers nothing of significant importance to the story, nor does any of his dialogue. He is weak, and dies more often than any of my other characters. Not to mention he looks like a recycled / weaker version of Tidus from FFX. With that said, my interest in playing any Final Fantasy game past XII is almost zero. I am in the process of playing VI again just to remind myself of why I loved this games so much, simply because all those reasons have been stripped to the bones from the new ones. Maybe I just prefer the more basic Final Fantasy games...but I beleive the newer ones would be much better if they just stuck to what made them so successful in the first palce.

*Edit* Please only double (or triple post as the case may be) after a day has passed from your last post. Otherwise just edit your earlier post with your new / continued thoughts. Thanks! -Acmurphy

Post subject: Re: Final Fantasy I-XII
PostPosted: December 11th, 2010, 6:18 pm 
Post Master

Yojimbo Zanmato wrote:
I don't understand why they had to change a great system that made their franchise renowned around the world.

I've never played a Final Fantasy game but I imagine the reason is that most fans of JRPGs were getting tired of the same stuff over and over. I don't see how you can fault them in trying something new.

Quote:
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

That movie was a joke. The story and characters are poor and I've never seen anyone try to argue otherwise. It's just a spectacle that's designed to pander to mindless FF fans.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2010, 3:34 pm 
Resident Scholar

Mmsven wrote:
Quote:
Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children

That movie was a joke. The story and characters are poor and I've never seen anyone try to argue otherwise. It's just a spectacle that's designed to pander to mindless FF fans.

What a way to greet new members! :sweat:

On the other hand... Yojimbo, your opinions are welcome and appreciated (with the exception of a certain part of Canada as it seems), but why are you artificially raising your post count by splitting your one text into three parts? You see, that's okay if there's a day or two between your posts in a single thread, but this here is nonsensical.

PostPosted: January 6th, 2012, 7:01 am 
Newcomer

This game was by all intent and purposes an international slap on the face. How long did we wait for this game to come out? That is something I can't even remember. The only thing I remember was buying my PS3 for this crap.

This game is made up of 83% cut-scene.....It was more movie than game and if I had to compare this to advent children I would have given advent children the full 5 stars over this "game." The dubbing was horrific! The voices weren't even close to being in sync with mouth movement, which made it unbearably difficult to sit through. The game play was so dumb down, it would make you feel like it was made to test the IQ of patients in a mental hospital. All you had to do was move the directional button and spam X. Weapon upgrades and grid system were completely unnecessary to finish the game. Save points weren't necessary unless you were turning off your system since dying will put you back where you were just before you interacted with the monster that killed you. The songs throughout the game went from okay to annoying very fast ( i admit this is probably a personal thing, but I preferred the old instrumental music over the song). They also took all the fun out of exploring.

Vanille was by far, the worst character in any game I have ever used!!! She was part British/French/Australian/Cow-girl/Old-man AND played the role of the innocent-cute girl of the game were she primary moaned with the utmost irritating personality you will ever come to know.

Seriously, I would not have been so harsh with this review had they called it something like "Big bird on Sesame Street" or some shit like that because then I would have known what I was getting into, but when people hear the name Final Fantasy, we go "WOW THAT IS FUCKING AWESOME!!!!!!!" Final Fantasy 13 however, was "Wow, WTF?!?! Where is the J/K on the cover. I can't find it. I can't find it anywhere.... Oh! But wait. I think I just found Waldo, but I can't seem to find where it says THIS GAME IS A FUCKING JOKE!!!!"

I really didn't expect Final Fantasy 13 to be great from the start, but this.....is beyond what anyone would even consider as a part of the series. The reason for this was because when they announced there was going to be a Final Fantasy VS. 13 it came to my mind that after the success of Kingdoms Hearts and the lower than average (in terms of a final fantasy game) review of Final Fantasy X-2 and Final Fantasy 12, they had plans to switch out the current final fantasy team.

I have played almost every Final Fantasy game (exceptions are the ones on Nintendo DS and online versions) and I have to say, Final Fantasy 13 has crossed the line and then some more. This is Square Enix's way of a reality check to all Final Fantasy Fans. That no matter what sorry piece of shit we put together.... as long as we bear the name "Final Fantasy" on it, people will buy it.

All I have to say is, if this is what people call advanced technological changes for the better, then Final Fantasy is officially dead to me.

PostPosted: January 9th, 2012, 2:09 pm 
Resident Scholar

Elvera48 wrote:
Oh! But wait. I think I just found Waldo, but I can't seem to find where it says THIS GAME IS A FUCKING JOKE!!!!"

Gee, someone has some steam to vent. :sweat: Well, I'm okay with that, at least there's a newcomer whose posts make coherent sense without linking to replica watches, handbags, WoW gold, or whatever is being advertized deep-throat nowadays. :lol: