Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently October 22nd, 2017, 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Last Exile - Ginyoku no Fam
PostPosted: November 16th, 2011, 4:44 am 
Post Master

As much as I hated the first Last Exile, I will eventually try this to see if its any better since it's going to get godly ratings anyway.

PostPosted: November 27th, 2011, 6:05 am 

Fam, Gisey and Pirate family fly straight into a trap. And shit goes down.

I liked how tense it got. Although they did escape via one of those rather long shot miracles.

Enjoyable episode so far, things getting intense. Going to get more intense.

PostPosted: November 28th, 2011, 5:32 pm 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
Alrighty then, I finally got my first chance to watch the first episode of the new Last Exile (can I have one more Exile before I go? :P2: ) series and here are my thoughts:

The beginning of the first episode was a tad strange since not only there were new characters being introduced briefly, which confused me for a bit, but seeing Fam taking off her nightgown and in her underwear (classy :wtf: ) gave me the impression that the series is gonna go downhill from there. Not saying that this sequel is gonna suck or anything like that, but Last Exile is a top quality anime with unforgettable characters and a story that is epic and worthy enough to be considered an anime classic for years to come; and starting out a sequel to a high-calibre series with a low-angle shot of fanservice is not a good thing. It's nothing too gratuitous, of course, but c'mon writers, show some respect to the material! And show some class to the opposite sex too! :mad2:

Also, there are six moons shown too. I do not recall seeing multiple moons from the previous show, but I'm sure there's an explanation for that (which I'm sure it's been answered on this thread, but I didn't have the time to read them thoroughly lately). I guess the Earth must have increased its gravitational pull in the future and I can't imagine how the multiple moons effect the tidal flow of the oceans...

Flags on the moons. How did they get there?

Moving on from my side-rants, the opening song in Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing is by far better than the opening for Last Exile that's for sure. The opening of the first series had an ugly mix of bagpipes, didgeridoos, and minimalist-sounding instruments. Blech. The animation is still pretty good just like the first one. Aside from the beginning, the episode turned out to be watchable, even if Fam was being a bit annoying. Seeing Dio back is a good sign too, which gives me confidence to resume viewing this sequel.

PostPosted: November 29th, 2011, 1:56 am 

Gojira, I don't want to spoil you, so I won't say more about the moons you saw. It's in this thread but don't read it yet. You'll find out soon.

I also disliked that scene with Fam at the very beginning, I thought it was unnecessary. Just like the nude girls at the opening. However I have to disagree about this opening being better than the first series'. It's all a matter of taste after all, but I think the pipes and all the electronic beats were awesome when paired with the animated sequence, it seemed to me very powerful.

I'm glad you are following this series. Hopefully it turns out to be as good as the first series. I had my doubts at first but I think it's finally heading to something good.

--------------------------------------------
The latest episode finally brings some suspense and adds that danger feeling I had missed in the first episodes.
I'm also glad that Augusta it's just dumb and it's being taken advantage of, I was worried that little kids were in control.

PostPosted: November 30th, 2011, 9:58 am 

I'm a Maaya Sakamoto fan and Buddy is a song I would listen to on a constant basis.

The first Last Exile OP though, I feel suits Last Exile better.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2011, 4:08 pm 
Major Contributor

OK, now that I'm caught up with the show (at least for the moment) and it seems that my fears of bad quality taking their toll have completely subsided. I'm very pleased of how good Fam, the Silver Wing is turning out to be so far and seems to be in the same spirit as the first one. Also, it's good to see Tatiana and Alis back in action. However, seeing Millia in a maid dress just screams fanservice rather than making an actual point, but whatever. :roll:

And thanks wolfwood, for not spoiling me the details about the moons, which turned out that
Spoiler
"Those aren't moons... They're space station, er I mean Exiles!"
As for the opening song comparison, to each his own. Can't expect everyone to agree with me. :P

PostPosted: December 4th, 2011, 12:03 pm 

Episode 8 was really impressive, I wonder what would have been the outcome of the battle if the Silvana and Alex had been there rather than the Silvius.
Anyways, it was a really cool episode. And now those cool looking girls from the opening have shown up, I hope they actually play a major role in the series.

PostPosted: December 4th, 2011, 1:12 pm 

Tatiana still managed to take on a whole fleet, sink quite a number and get out, so it's pretty impressive all the same.

Granted if Alex was still around, he would have pulled off even more insane bullshit. And yay return of the rocket propelled shells or whatever they call it.

Also like that is one hell of a weak spot those warships have. Have they not heard of redundant/backup systems? Or do they just faff around building stuff they have no idea how exactly works? It would have been more convincing if they shot one of those harpoon torpedoes. But like everything about Fam and her hijinks seem to be lolimpossible.

I quite like those Glacies rocket ships.

Interesting that Anatoray is a faction. I wonder just how exactly they are operating. From their Exile? I suppose the manga might eventually shed light on it.

PostPosted: December 12th, 2011, 5:27 pm 
Major Contributor

Just got done catching up now and I have to say episode 8 was fantastic. Tatiana would make Alex smile in his grave for taking on an entire fleet and barely escape. The Glaices ships look sick and I like those Russian-sounding girls piloting them. They seem pretty cool. However, I sense a confrontation between Fam and Giselle is brewing. Let the wangst wars begin!!!

PostPosted: December 13th, 2011, 3:38 pm 

When in angst, apply hockey.

Vincent fabulously appears. Wonder who else will appear. Wanna see some good old chainsaw ship action again.

PostPosted: December 13th, 2011, 8:31 pm 

Hopefully Sofia, Claus and Lavie can make an appearance at some point. Seeing Vincent back was pretty cool.

PostPosted: December 28th, 2011, 4:00 pm 
Major Contributor

I'm really happy how episode 9 turned out. I feared of a wangst war between Fam and Gisey was going to waged, but it wasn't that bad at all and handled very well. And of course, everything was sorted out and Fam and Gisey are back together again. Also, seeing Fam going all Bill Crosby in broom hockey and Vincent making a surprisingly awesome appearance are the episode's highlights.

Episode 9.5 is just a waste of time. Recap episode. BIG DEAL!!! :sarcasm: I hate it when shows do that, devoting an entire episode on recapping all the events that happened within the series. It's cheap and a waste of time, but I guess it nice for anyone who hasn't seen all the episodes I suppose...butit'sstillafuckingwasteoftime.

Episode 10 will have to wait since it's still on Hulu Plus only for the moment. Too much of a cheapskate to invest in a premium subscription right now. :sweat:

I just hope I get to see those female Glaices pilots and chainsaw ships in action! :mrgreen:

Fun Fact: When everyone refers to the large airships as "Skyfish", they say it as "kujira (鯨(クジラ)" despite the fact that the word actually means "whale".

PostPosted: December 29th, 2011, 12:11 am 

Dio makes it sound like Claus/Lavie might be dead. Unless he was talking about Gitah, which is kinda... very long ago.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2011, 11:44 pm 
Major Contributor

Ignore this post.

A little buzzed and posted "What anime I'm watching" on the wrong section. :oops:

But don't worry, I'll edit it later when I watch the latest episode.

PostPosted: December 30th, 2011, 5:16 am 

Storm_Shinobi wrote:
Dio makes it sound like Claus/Lavie might be dead. Unless he was talking about Gitah, which is kinda... very long ago.
It did! It would be really sad, but it would make the new Last Exile manga all more interesting to follow (as if it weren't interesting enough already!!!). If they can pull that off, they'll have my respect.
This episode has been the best so far.

I'm with Gojira here, I can't wait to see the Glacies girls in action!