Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 18th, 2017, 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2063 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138  Next
 Post subject: Re: What Are You Watching Now?
PostPosted: October 22nd, 2011, 12:25 am 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
^In fact, I just rented the complete set of Last Exile from my local library and I'm gonna watch the entire thing (if I have the time for it) so I'll be able to watch the sequel and contribute to the forums more. :)

I've watched episodes 5-12 of xxxHOLiC and CLAMP does not disappoint me at all. I want a black Mokona. NOW.

PostPosted: October 25th, 2011, 12:01 pm 

Gojira wrote:
^In fact, I just rented the complete set of Last Exile from my local library and I'm gonna watch the entire thing (if I have the time for it) so I'll be able to watch the sequel and contribute to the forums more. :)
That's awesome Gojira!!

While you are a it, take a look at the new Hunter x Hunter series!!

It's a remake of the old series, but it will be 100% true to the manga story, unlike the original animated series (which had the best filler episodes in anime). It's not as bloody as the manga but it's still there. It's a very enjoyable shounen series with a clever storyline and very awesome characters. Definitely worthy.

PostPosted: October 26th, 2011, 11:49 pm 
Major Contributor

wolfwood wrote:
That's awesome Gojira!!
While you are a it, take a look at the new Hunter x Hunter series!!

Yeah, my local library's awesome like that. It has a good selection of anime, but it's mostly stuff released in the 2000s. Could use more old school titles, but nothing to complain about. I'll definitely watch Last Exile, but right now is not right time for since I'm gonna be busy for the next couple of days, so don't expect my opinion about it anytime soon.

As for the new Hunter X Hunter series, I'm not sure. It does look and sound promising, but I have way too many series under my belt and I don't want to sit through a filler series(assuming if does become one). I'll still put it under my "to watch" list just in case if I feel like checking it out. Much obliged, wolfwood! :)

Watched episodes 5-9 of Azumanga Daioh and episodes 6-10 of Sakura Wars and I'm loving both of them.

And I watched Felidae, which is a German animated film about cats and I was astounded by it. Despite of it's Disney-like style, this movie is definitely not for children for it is gory and contains mature material in it. It's like a fusion between a Satoshi Kon and a Don Bluth film, with some film noir elements thrown in it. But the result is spectacular and it's one of the best animated films I'd seen in a long time. Highly recommended!

PostPosted: October 30th, 2011, 2:19 pm 
Resident Scholar

Gojira wrote:
And I watched Felidae, which is a German animated film about cats and I was astounded by it.

The movie is based upon a book by a German-Turkish author named Akif Pirincci, who wrote not just one book about the adventures of Francis but a whole series. I can also recommend these, even if you're not overly interested in cats, as they deal with a variety of topics around animal and environmetal protection and are really well written.
Pirincci has in his books delivered a small but fine number of aphorisms that I like a lot, such as:
"If someone lights a match somewhere in the darkness you should not immediately assume that it's the sun."

PostPosted: October 30th, 2011, 7:12 pm 

Watched Hunter x Hunter episode 5, that takes me back.

When I started watching the first series about 10 years ago, I remember I was thinking at first the show was aimed at a younger audience even so I was really entertained by the clever storyline, but then out of nowhere Hisoka showed up and everyone began to die. I realized then the story was serious. But I had no idea how much darker and serious it would get later.

The bad thing about this episode and the series so far, is that they are trying hard to make it bloodless, even though it's obvious there is a lot of violence going on.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: November 1st, 2011, 12:32 pm 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
The movie is based upon a book by a German-Turkish author named Akif Pirincci, who wrote not just one book about the adventures of Francis but a whole series. I can also recommend these, even if you're not overly interested in cats, as they deal with a variety of topics around animal and environmetal protection and are really well written.
Pirincci has in his books delivered a small but fine number of aphorisms that I like a lot, such as:
"If someone lights a match somewhere in the darkness you should not immediately assume that it's the sun."

Very interesting. I've looked up the books, but only the first two novels were published in English. Nonetheless, I will have to read the novels someday. And besides, I like cats(I'm the forums' animal expert after all!) of all kinds, from the backalley bastards to the saber-toothed variety! :D

PostPosted: November 13th, 2011, 5:36 pm 
Major Contributor

Finally completed Last Exile and it was fantastic. Probably one of the best anime I have seen in a long while. Not only it had a great ending, but it had one of the most epic main villain death scenes I'be ever seen. I'll give the sequel a watching assuming if Hulu Plus on mobile doesn't cost me anything.

PostPosted: November 13th, 2011, 10:38 pm 

Gojira wrote:
Finally completed Last Exile and it was fantastic. Probably one of the best anime I have seen in a long while. Not only it had a great ending, but it had one of the most epic main villain death scenes I'be ever seen. I'll give the sequel a watching assuming if Hulu Plus on mobile doesn't cost me anything.
Glad to hear you liked it! Yea, give the sequel a try, it seems promising so far.

PostPosted: November 19th, 2011, 1:41 am 
Major Contributor

wolfwood wrote:
Glad to hear you liked it! Yea, give the sequel a try, it seems promising so far.

Thank ye and I'll just do that tomorrow night.

Anyway, a big breakthrough has occurred. I have finally completed the first season of Sailor Moon(the original, undubbed version of course) and it ended quite dramatically, but in a very good way. Seeing the Sailor Senshi sacrificing their lives for Usagi almost brought a tear to my eye, but I knew that everything will be brighter in the next season (hooray for character resurrections!). Can't wait to hop onto Sailor Moon R! :D

PostPosted: November 20th, 2011, 2:59 pm 
Resident Scholar

Gojira wrote:
Seeing the Sailor Senshi sacrificing their lives for Usagi almost brought a tear to my eye

Yes, it was very dramatic and from a storytelling point of view I liked it a lot, but after thinking about it for a moment a few hours later I thought that the whole defeating evil thing would have been a lot easier had they all made a stand together instead of wasting their efforts piecemeal, one by one, without making much of an impression upon their pursuers.

PostPosted: November 21st, 2011, 1:27 am 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
Yes, it was very dramatic and from a storytelling point of view I liked it a lot, but after thinking about it for a moment a few hours later I thought that the whole defeating evil thing would have been a lot easier had they all made a stand together instead of wasting their efforts piecemeal, one by one, without making much of an impression upon their pursuers.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing too. Then again, the reason why I think the ending was done that way was because not only for emotional impact, but for Usagi to conquer her own fears and to confront Queen Beryl alone (ya know, the whole hero's journey trope. Joseph Campbell, bitches!). Yet, doesn't Usagi go through that cycle again in each season? Judging from her blondeness and nature, it would not surprise me. :P2:

I watched MD Geist I & II and hoo boy, was it bad. I mean I knew it was gonna be terrible, since it's been in the butt of many jokes in the anime fandom for years, but I just had to see if it was really bad as everyone said it is. Oh it's terrible alright, but it's nowhere near boring. The violence itself was the huge entertaining along with the atrocious dubbing and egreigious storytelling. MD Geist is pretty much like Rob Liefeld's masturbatory fantasy in anime form. The main character, Geist is quite essentially the lovechild of Duke Nukem and Mad Max (or Kenchiro from the Fist of the North Star series, if you prefer). I only recommend these OVA bombs as riffing material.

PostPosted: December 1st, 2011, 6:12 pm 
Post Master

Watched the first 12 episodes of Fairy Tail and it's better than I expected given the diverging ratings on ANN. Everything about the setting is cliche, from the guilds to the classes, but its over-the-top enough and has decent enough humor and pacing to work. As a shounen it's 1000x better than Naruto, so I'll continue watching it as the box sets come out.

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2011, 3:02 pm 
Resident Scholar

Gojira wrote:
I watched MD Geist I & II and hoo boy, was it bad. I mean I knew it was gonna be terrible, since it's been in the butt of many jokes in the anime fandom for years, but I just had to see if it was really bad as everyone said it is.

MD Geist is probably the worst Anime or even the worst of any shows that I have ever seen. On top of that it "helped" form my negative opinion about German fan message boards because I made a post in an MD Geist thread about how bad it was and the fan boys came forth flaming all over my butt. :shifty:

PostPosted: December 2nd, 2011, 4:27 pm 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
MD Geist is probably the worst Anime or even the worst of any shows that I have ever seen. On top of that it "helped" form my negative opinion about German fan message boards because I made a post in an MD Geist thread about how bad it was and the fan boys came forth flaming all over my butt. :shifty:

MD Geist has actual fans?!? Oh wait...

I mean, don't get me wrong, I still think it's a stupid piece of shit, but at the same time I do see the cult appeal in it and this is coming from someone who enjoys Troll 2, Birdemic, and most of the schlock that's been featured on Mystery Science Theater 3000. :P That stinks that fan boys were all over you for your opinion, but it just goes to show that even some of the worst cinematic atrocities to be put on celluloid will have fans, whether they view it as "so bad, it's good" or they actually view it as a masterpiece (and if they do, they need to have a lobotomy and a vasectomy!).

The most recent series I've completed was xxxHolic. CLAMP will continue to rule for as long as they are around. :bow:

PostPosted: December 14th, 2011, 7:17 pm 
Post Master

Been going through Dragon Ball Kai with a friend and watched around 20 episodes so far. I'm loving it. The pacing is near-perfect and the show doesn't spend any unnecessary time on Snake Way and the trip to Namek, and very little time delving into the useless thoughts of every character for every event. So far my only complaint is that Bulma's English voice actor makes me ears bleed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2063 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138  Next