Anime, Hentai, Manga, Bishoujo Games, Live Action Films, Music, Art, and Erotic Doujinshi Discussion Forum

It is currently December 12th, 2017, 3:11 pm

All times are UTC - 4 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Anything Goes Thread . . .
PostPosted: September 24th, 2011, 1:43 am 
Major Contributor

Location: Tokyo, you're due for another attack from Yours Truly!
Acmurphy wrote:
Very nice, it's excellent that you were able to at least get something that's linked with your skill set until a better opportunity comes along.

It is. I don't want to end up doing something oil/petroleum/natural resource type of jobs for the rest of my life. Granted, those jobs do pay well, but fossils are my passion

Quote:
Pretty well so far. I finished up with school as well (I don't quite miss it like you do however haha) and am just continuing on with my stock trading. Sadly I haven't been doing too much with the site lately, mostly because I've just been too worn out and haven't been watching much almost any anime lately but I am hoping to change that trend. The Black Lagoon S3 OVA has finally finished so I am probably going to hit that up soon. It's nice to hear you're still rocking the anime even if your tastes have evolved :mrgreen:

Glad you're doing pretty well and don't let those numbers crunch you down, especially during hard times such as now. And also, I hope everyone will appreciate the new and approved Gojira. 8)

Quote:
It seems I was looking at that in a little too literal sense :lol:

Yeah, but tis ok. If I was actually growing saber-teeth, I would be eating nothing but megafauna since they're specialized to kill that type of prey. :P2:

PostPosted: October 20th, 2011, 3:10 pm 

I've been really busy with school lately, my final final college exams are taking place this week and the next, and the one after. They are testing us on subjects we took years ago. So re-studying stuff has been pretty time consuming, not to mention the tests so far have been difficult.
Today's the final written test, I'm still reviewing some stuff, it's simply impossible to go over a subject that took you 6 months to learn half a year ago.
Next week it will be oral exams. :sweat:

PostPosted: October 21st, 2011, 10:13 am 
Resident Admin

Location: In the Tardis, off to who knows where in who knows when!
wolfwood wrote:
I've been really busy with school lately, my final final college exams are taking place this week and the next, and the one after.

I hope it all goes well for ya wolfwood! Don't let the tests get ya down, they'll be over before ya know it :D

PostPosted: October 22nd, 2011, 12:34 am 
Major Contributor

wolfwood wrote:
I've been really busy with school lately, my final final college exams are taking place this week and the next, and the one after. They are testing us on subjects we took years ago. So re-studying stuff has been pretty time consuming, not to mention the tests so far have been difficult.
Today's the final written test, I'm still reviewing some stuff, it's simply impossible to go over a subject that took you 6 months to learn half a year ago.
Next week it will be oral exams. :sweat:

Good to see you again, wolfwood and good luck with your final finals. Once those exams are out of your way, you'll be in a cap and gown before you'll even know it! :wink:

PostPosted: October 23rd, 2011, 6:34 am 
Resident Scholar

wolfwood wrote:
it's simply impossible to go over a subject that took you 6 months to learn half a year ago.

Oh, but it IS possible! I didn't believe it myself when I was in the middle of that pile of exam crap, but it worked.
You might write a short post about your studying techniques once you're finished, I'm kinda interested in that topic.

I won't wish you luck, though - luck is for those who have to rely on it.
I'm sure you have the necessary skills to pull it through without luck. :d^_^b:

PostPosted: October 25th, 2011, 12:44 pm 

Gojira wrote:
Oh, I've been honky dory for most of the time. Graduated college and completed a field camp course in Colorado, which was AWESOME btw. Struggled to find a job for nearly two months until I found a volunteer position at a local museum, which it turned out that I got hired and work for part-time (pay included!). It's not much though, but it will keep my skills sharpened until I find a better opportunity later on.
There is nothing better than getting paid for doing something you love doing.

Gojira wrote:
Good to see you again, wolfwood and good luck with your final finals. Once those exams are out of your way, you'll be in a cap and gown before you'll even know it! :wink:
Thank you Gojira, It's great to see you are doing well too!

Acmurphy wrote:
I hope it all goes well for ya wolfwood! Don't let the tests get ya down, they'll be over before ya know it :D
Thanks Acmurphy!

42317 wrote:
Oh, but it IS possible! I didn't believe it myself when I was in the middle of that pile of exam crap, but it worked. You might write a short post about your studying techniques once you're finished, I'm kinda interested in that topic.
I won't wish you luck, though - luck is for those who have to rely on it. I'm sure you have the necessary skills to pull it through without luck. :d^_^b:
Haha, thanks, I actually got lucky, my oral exams will be taking place on the final day of examinations, Friday at 6pm, which gives me plenty of time to go over more stuff and prepare a little presentation of a topic I want to talk about. Some of my friends were appointed for orals on Wednesday (tomorrow)...

Basically what I've been doing is for every topic I have to study I go back to my favorite source of information on it, be it an article, a book, a powerpoint presentation, or my notes. So it's been enjoyable. I've tried not to stress much over it. I've been sleeping from 9pm to 1 am, wake up and study for periods of 4-5 straight hours and then give myself recesses of 30 minutes or more to eat, or read mail, use the internet. Or do something else to keep me motivated and sane.

PostPosted: November 19th, 2011, 1:51 am 
Major Contributor

Museum tours, taking care of animals, job searching, soul searching, anime, Sailor Moon, Gamera, booze, etc...

But other than that, I seem to be in rather stable condition... for the moment. :)

PostPosted: November 20th, 2011, 7:44 am 

I'm going to see Pearl Jam live tonight, I'm really excited, I would love to get there early so I can get as close to the stage as possible but I have plenty of stuff to do today, so I'll have to make my way through the masses! :D
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PostPosted: December 27th, 2011, 11:54 pm 

Yesterday I turned 10000 days, It actually feels like a turning point in my life, I'm finally getting to the serious part of life now. I'll start working in my field as an intern next Monday, that's encouraging and a bit scary.
My goal this new year is to really give my 100% everyday!

PostPosted: December 28th, 2011, 3:43 pm 
Major Contributor

wolfwood wrote:
Yesterday I turned 10000 days, It actually feels like a turning point in my life, I'm finally getting to the serious part of life now. I'll start working in my field as an intern next Monday, that's encouraging and a bit scary.
My goal this new year is to really give my 100% everyday!

Life can be amazing at times. Even if you're feeling a little afraid in your field of expertise for the first time, but I'm sure you'll do just great and I wish for you that everything will go well. Btw, how was the Pearl Jam concert? :)

As for me, absolutely nothing too terribly exciting has happened other than the fact that I'm currently jobless again. It turns out that the local museum was too much for me to handle because I cannot conduct tours very well. It's very difficult to multitask while giving a lecture to 2nd and 3rd graders about the things in the science part of the museum because the kids really don't care for they just want to run around and touch things. Also, the teachers were harsh critics and say that I do a lousy job at tours, in spite of my mental disabilities, and I'm not very knowledgeable in my subject (which is complete BULLSHIT and I know everything about dinosaurs and ecology more than all the staff of the museum...and I'm very serious about that comment too). A combination of stress, negativity, working only part-time for meager pay and controlling a stupid robot has caused me to decide to quit the local museum. I would have been fine if they had a researcher position or I could just take care of the animals, but since it was a small, local museum I am required to give tours and interact with tourists, which most of them are just rock STUPID (so stupid that they take flash photography even if there were signs that clearly stated "NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY"). Oh well, it's a lot better than being fired I suppose.

In the mean time, I'll just search for another job (a full-time, better-paying, rewarding job if I may add) and since the economy is showing slow signs of recovery, my hopes are risen.

PostPosted: December 29th, 2011, 3:11 am 

Thank you Gojira for those encouraging words, I really appreciate it!

That Pearl Jam concert was awesome, i love it. I was able to get very close to the stage somehow that was awesome! A concert I'll never forget.

Gojira wrote:
It's very difficult to multitask while giving a lecture to 2nd and 3rd graders about the things in the science part of the museum because the kids really don't care for they just want to run around and touch things... "NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY")...
In the mean time, I'll just search for another job (a full-time, better-paying, rewarding job if I may add) and since the economy is showing slow signs of recovery, my hopes are risen.

Not many people are suited to deal with kids, specially when they are on trips and stuff, they can be very annoying, another thing that really annoys me it's people that simply won't follow simple instructions just because they don't care or don't bother to read them, I think it's very disrespectful. And you also mentioned you were feeling under-appreciated and not comfortable at all there. I can see why you quit. Hopefully you'll land a job that is more to your liking soon! Good Luck Gojira!!

PostPosted: December 30th, 2011, 3:26 pm 
Resident Scholar

Gojira wrote:
they take flash photography even if there were signs that clearly stated "NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY"

Is there a reason for that? I do understand that some objects in various showrooms may not be photographed at all because of copyrights and stuff, but a 360 million year old piece of dinosaur spine is not copyright protected material and will not turn into dust when touched by artificial light?

PostPosted: January 5th, 2012, 6:20 pm 
Major Contributor

42317 wrote:
Gojira wrote:
they take flash photography even if there were signs that clearly stated "NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY"

Is there a reason for that? I do understand that some objects in various showrooms may not be photographed at all because of copyrights and stuff, but a 360 million year old piece of dinosaur spine is not copyright protected material and will not turn into dust when touched by artificial light?

Well it does some damage to the fossils, but that's not the main issue. The reason why flash photos aren't allow is because we have live animals and flashes scare them.

And btw, dinosaurs (non-avian to be specific) lived from 245-65 million years ago. Just wanted to make that correction.

I'm continuing my job hint and applied for one online. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

PostPosted: February 21st, 2012, 12:23 am 
Post Master

Spent my whole weekend at a local anime convention (Tsukino-Con) and it was fucking awesome. Lots of eye candy considering 60% of the audience was female and most of them were hot. There were tons of panels and events so my friend and I attending rarely had downtime. The schedule will give you an idea of what was going on: LINK. The ones I personally attended were the fashion show, "How To Crossplay", "Creating Cosplay with Maryjane", the anime swimsuit contest, the cosplay contest, "I'm An Anime Noob", "Anime Over 25", "How to Talk to Girls", "Storytime with Tanner", and "The Room of Shame" (Saturday only, also one of the best panels and didn't include screenings of crappy hentai like I thought there might be). All those panels were good, but there were a couple that I didn't bother to name because we walked out of them. When we weren't attending panels/events, we were playing on the couple of Japanese arcade cabinets when they were available, and checking out the vendors.

On Sunday we didn't end up attending any panels/events because we went to participate and shop at the "flea market", where anyone can sell their stuff along with the vendors as long as there's free table space available. I ended up bringing all my old blind buys that I didn't end up liking and some crappy games, and I ended up selling $130 worth (along with a traded Castlevania manga). The popular stuff went fast, and by the time we packed up I'd gone from 2 boxes of crap to 1 box of crap. I'd also forgot to call in sick at work so I ended up leaving right after we'd done that.

The vendors exceeded my expectations by miles. It turned out there were probably around 40 vendors and some good stuff was being sold. I ended up buying a Death Note Ryuk plush. I also got 4 Japanese soundtrack CDs for free because some crazy person gave out a box of them for free. I took the Samurai Champloo soundtracks "masta" and "Departure", the original Vampire Hunter D soundtrack (which included a mini poster), and Chrono Trigger "The Brink of Time". Best of all I got some fucking beastly original prints (13" x 19"), check them out:

Spoiler
ImageImage

My friend bought a FF7 Cloud print from the same artist. On another note, the Chrono Trigger CD was disappointing, because it was arranged by a really jazzy jazz band and that couldn't be further from my taste in music.

PostPosted: February 24th, 2012, 3:39 pm 
Newcomer

That sounds fantastic Mmsven! We don't get many conventions here in the UK, and the only one I've been to was gaming related. While that was brilliant, I can't imagine how good an anime con would be. I hope you had a good time!

So, I went to Preston last week and was subsequently disappointed. Most of the local museum was closed for refurbishment and the weather was pretty dreadful. Still, I managed to buy quite a bit (for me!) of anime and it was nice spending some time with my Gran.

/latest response ever

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 607 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next